Sponsored by:

997 GT3 82mm throttle body on a E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
997 GT3 82mm throttle body on a E55

I have heard this 82mm GT3 throttle body works on the E55 and costs wayyyy less. I see it online for $370.00. Can anyone confirm this? It looks identical. I don't see why these ridiculous prices on E550 and Eurocharge throttle bodies are so out of wack. I mean you can go to Jegs online and buy a huge throttle body for a vette for no more then a few hundred.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2010, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by mokushiroku
I have heard this 82mm GT3 throttle body works on the E55 and costs wayyyy less. I see it online for $370.00. Can anyone confirm this? It looks identical. I don't see why these ridiculous prices on E550 and Eurocharge throttle bodies are so out of wack. I mean you can go to Jegs online and buy a huge throttle body for a vette for no more then a few hundred.

Thanks
I heard this as well and I also heard that the Audi A8 I belive has a 82mm.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Keep in mind that the MB TBs are also in the $300 retail range, but you malso need the modified snout. That is what is expansive and only fits this car.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
I could be wrong but I suspect you could get the MB throttle body like Jangy said for a few hundred and modifiy the inlet and make your own Y-Pipe out of either stainless or aluminum pipe or silicone hose. Or a combination. Maybe a metal Y-pipe and silicone from there. Silcone looks ricey sure but it insluates and is also flexible. It doesn't have to stay round but can take on an oval shape if need be and not reduce the overall flow if my thinking is correct.

So you would take care of the Throttle body and intake at the same time. How you do the filters is a whole nother story but it would beat the stock setup. I'm sure of that. I'm of the mind set that you don't need to worry so much about a "cold air intake" as much because the supercharger will heat the hell out of the air anyway. The BMW 135i/335i guys did a test. I believe it was burger motorsports, makers of the juicebox, who showed a cold air setup on their turbo/intercooled cars wasn't a big deal like you tradtionally would think. Not that it could hurt, just saying it doesn't kill it.

Last edited by Luke_M; 05-15-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Silver E55
makes since to a point. but if you can lower your intake air 10-15 degrees , you can really keep timing up and add more boost. then your going to notice something.

Originally Posted by Luke_M
I could be wrong but I suspect you could get the MB throttle body like Jangy said for a few hundred and modifiy the inlet and make your own Y-Pipe out of either stainless or aluminum pipe or silicone hose. Or a combination. Maybe a metal Y-pipe and silicone from there. Silcone looks ricey sure but it insluates and is also flexible. It doesn't have to stay round but can take on an oval shape if need be and not reduce the overall flow if my thinking is correct.

So you would take care of the Throttle body and intake at the same time. How you do the filters is a whole nother story but it would beat the stock setup. I'm sure of that. I'm of the mind set that you don't need to worry so much about a "cold air intake" as much because the supercharger will heat the hell out of the air anyway. The BMW 135i/335i guys did a test. I believe it was burger motorsports, makers of the juicebox, who showed a cold air setup on their turbo/intercooled cars wasn't a big deal like you tradtionally would think. Not that it could hurt, just saying it doesn't kill it.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
The OEM plenum can be modified to plate on the new TB. It can NOT be bored for that size.

I would never pay more than $750 for a new TB INSTALLED with ported and polished plenum as well!