Sponsored by:

Got into the 11's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55 AMG
Got into the 11's

I went out to the track yesterday and ran a PB of 11.91@118 with a 1.785 60'.
Im not sure how much more I can get out of her as she sits but am overall happy with my results. I know some are doing this stock but pre-tune and with a failing ic pump and 19'' street tires I ran a 12.9@111 in 90 degree weather.
My next step will either be a pulley and HE or headers but Im not sure which will net me the lower et.

Mods:

EC Tune
K&N Filters
18'' MT drag radials

[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
Congrats that's flying with just a tune and great MPH!! Pulley and tune should put you solidly in the 120's.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 PM

09 E63 , 08 Z06 , 09 SL63, 04 C5Z
Get a set of slicks, the 60' time will get you down alot! congrats!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 PM

'05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by barberfirestop
Get a set of slicks, the 60' time will get you down alot! congrats!
I was wondering the same. The drag radials seem to hook perfectly though so Im not sure they would help at this power level.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ryan b
I was wondering the same. The drag radials seem to hook perfectly though so Im not sure they would help at this power level.
Nice run! Who's slow car was that running with ya, hopefully it wasn't a silver E55....

Do you mind sharing your launching technique, drag rims, and tires? I"m just curious what kind of setups others are running.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Very nice! Congrats!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:10 AM

E55 K
Do you turn off the esp?
When, only by pushing the esp button or do you turn the esp off at the electronical menu?

Last edited by lorie; 05-17-2010 at 03:12 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 05-17-2010, 03:36 AM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Nice run! Who's slow car was that running with ya, hopefully it wasn't a silver E55....

Do you mind sharing your launching technique, drag rims, and tires? I"m just curious what kind of setups others are running.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Very nice run!! That is moving with just a tune for sure.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:42 PM

'05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bassn_07

I couldn't tell who was next to me from the massive burnout they did. I think the car was silver though

My set up and launch technique are as follows:

18 #'s of air in the rear, 45#'s in the front. Stock wheels all around with the MT drag radials that I bought off your recommendation from a thread Renntech ELM turned off, suspension in comfort mode and vehicle raised. Drive through the water box instead of around, light em up for about 5 seconds come off the brake rolling out spinning till they grab with about 1/2 throttle. Brake stage low around 900-1000 rpm, third yellow simultaneously off the brake and hammer it imagining pushing my foot through the floorboard These MT's dead hook every time for me. I have traction off the whole time and leave it in auto for the run but manual 2nd for the burnout from sneaky's recommendation.

Thats about it. I'm not sure without more power or less weight I can improve much more. I saw Jangy recommended taking the grille out to gain a 1/10th which I think I'll try. I had my low fuel light come on right when I got to the track so I think trying for any less fuel wouldn't save me much. Headers & TB or pulley & HE? That is the question
Old 05-17-2010, 12:46 PM

'05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by lorie
Do you turn off the esp?
When, only by pushing the esp button or do you turn the esp off at the electronical menu?
I turn off esp by using the button on the dash, thats it. I've thought about trying a run in dyno mode using the menu your talking about but I dont know if it will run any faster. The only benefit I see is maybe the computer not interfering with my burn out
Old 05-17-2010, 08:46 PM

Bicycle
Why do you go through the water? I always felt it was better to drive around and back into it, that way when your staging the water that is on the front tires wont be collecting at the bottom of the tire making a puddle for the back tires to go through? I'm not saying my way is better and you cant argue that your not hooking with a 60' like that!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
Why do you go through the water? I always felt it was better to drive around and back into it, that way when your staging the water that is on the front tires wont be collecting at the bottom of the tire making a puddle for the back tires to go through? I'm not saying my way is better and you cant argue that your not hooking with a 60' like that!
+1. It might be a west coast thing, not sure though. When I used to drag back at Great Lakes and US41, most people drove through the water. In Sac, I've seen maybe 4 out of every 5 go around and then back into it which IMO is better for everyone.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:35 AM

'05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cahiil55k
+1. It might be a west coast thing, not sure though. When I used to drag back at Great Lakes and US41, most people drove through the water. In Sac, I've seen maybe 4 out of every 5 go around and then back into it which IMO is better for everyone.
Ya I didn't notice anyone else driving around so I went straight through too. Maybe I'll try going around next time just incase it's required else where.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Great runs, your beast seems healthy

I too agree about driving around the water box because sometimes the fronts will redistribute water on the track causing less traction for the rears.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
E550
Nice run...add the pulley and you will be in the mid 11's easy
Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by ryan b
Ya I didn't notice anyone else driving around so I went straight through too. Maybe I'll try going around next time just incase it's required else where.
FWIW I had an old guy at the track (older than me) that has been running bracket racers for years tell me to always go through the water unless you aren't going to do a burn out. He said you might not get in the groove as well if you drive around the water. The first time I drove through the water I nailed my record run. I have not had a chance to get back to the track since.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Juice1979
Nice run...add the pulley and you will be in the mid 11's easy
He has decent speed and his car puts down as much power as Enzom's car did I am going to coach him down to 11.7's and then some. He'll if he can get his 60' down to 1.70 he will be surprised with the outcome. Ryan pm me a week before you go to the track again!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cal1
FWIW I had an old guy at the track (older than me) that has been running bracket racers for years tell me to always go through the water unless you aren't going to do a burn out. He said you might not get in the groove as well if you drive around the water. The first time I drove through the water I nailed my record run. I have not had a chance to get back to the track since.

You should only go through the water if you have skinnies on the front(which I don't believe the OP did). If your car has a treaded tire on the front it will drag water halfway down the track. Also, the fact that your record run came after driving through the water has to be a fluke. At every track I've been to there is ample room to drive around the water, do a burnout, back up if you have to and line the car up in the groove. There is no need to drag water all over the place, especially on the cooler days we all like, because the water will not evaporate quickly.

I am going to Great Lakes dragaway tonight(temps in the mid 60's and down) for some street tire action, and I'm pretture sure the guys there will stomp your brains out if you drive through the water. Should be fun to watch some of the newbies launch in reverse and stage with the back tires for a few hours.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 PM

2004 SVT Cobra
Originally Posted by izzyz28
You should only go through the water if you have skinnies on the front(which I don't believe the OP did). If your car has a treaded tire on the front it will drag water halfway down the track. Also, the fact that your record run came after driving through the water has to be a fluke. At every track I've been to there is ample room to drive around the water, do a burnout, back up if you have to and line the car up in the groove. There is no need to drag water all over the place, especially on the cooler days we all like, because the water will not evaporate quickly.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL

I am going to Great Lakes dragaway tonight(temps in the mid 60's and down) for some street tire action, and I'm pretture sure the guys there will stomp your brains out if you drive through the water. Should be fun to watch some of the newbies launch in reverse and stage with the back tires for a few hours.
maybe it was a fluke. These bracket racers were not running skinnies. It was at Muncie Racway out in the Indiana cornfields. Maybe just a bunch of hillbillies. Before that, I always rolled around the water and then backed into it with the rear wheels. Is that proper etiquette? I don't really want my brains stomped out
Old 05-18-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cal1
maybe it was a fluke. These bracket racers were not running skinnies. It was at Muncie Racway out in the Indiana cornfields. Maybe just a bunch of hillbillies. Before that, I always rolled around the water and then backed into it with the rear wheels. Is that proper etiquette? I don't really want my brains stomped out
I know all about the hillbillies, trust me. I frequent GLD, US-41, and Coles County Dragway. Usually it's the track crew that'll scream at you and wave their arms, but I wouldn't put it past one of the hillbillies to do something stupid, especially if they perceive you as some rich d-bag in a Benz, which of course they will(even though your car may be worth half what their F-350 is). Usually the bracket racers I see all have skinnies on the front or they back in to the water. Maybe it's different elsewhere????

All I know is I get hot under the collar and nervous any time the car in front of me rolls through the water on street tires. Even with skinnies I don't like it, but there are a lot of racers who are too hard-headed to pull around and back in. With the amount of power we have it is next to impossible to hook on street tires, and downright dangerous if there is any moisture on the track where it's not expected.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
I know all about the hillbillies, trust me. I frequent GLD, US-41, and Coles County Dragway. Usually it's the track crew that'll scream at you and wave their arms, but I wouldn't put it past one of the hillbillies to do something stupid, especially if they perceive you as some rich d-bag in a Benz, which of course they will(even though your car may be worth half what their F-350 is). Usually the bracket racers I see all have skinnies on the front or they back in to the water. Maybe it's different elsewhere????

All I know is I get hot under the collar and nervous any time the car in front of me rolls through the water on street tires. Even with skinnies I don't like it, but there are a lot of racers who are too hard-headed to pull around and back in. With the amount of power we have it is next to impossible to hook on street tires, and downright dangerous if there is any moisture on the track where it's not expected.
They definitely did think I was "rich d-bag in a benz". The first time I ran, the announcer guy was saying "gee I wonder if MB roadside service will come out here". I know the owner of the track, he told me after I made a high 11 pass, the announcer guy said the clock must be broke because there is no way that damn mercedes just made a sub 12 pass. People cooled out after that and we were all just a bunch of guys talking cars. Some of us just had a few more teeth than others.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:57 PM

'05 E55 AMG
I guess I'll have to start a new trend at the local track. I could swear most people drove straight through but maybe they had skinnies on. It does sound better to go around for everyone's safety.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
My track also requires you to drive around the water and back up. Safety issue.