W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag setup, ET's, technique, and mod list...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by ryan b
Nevermind, I just checked dragtimes.
I haven't updated dragtime with my cars newest record! 11.701@121.896 (thx Alan)
Old 05-17-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
I haven't updated dragtime with my cars newest record! 11.701@121.896 (thx Alan)

Jeez Hey Alan, wanna cruise up here and pilot my beast! Hammer, your car is out of control
Old 05-17-2010, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Jeez Hey Alan, wanna cruise up here and pilot my beast! Hammer, your car is out of control
I think I did but did I mention that IT WAS HIS 1ST TIME DRIVING MY CAR......SMH Earlier that day I just beat my record that you saw on dragtime with a 11.761@121.4x and I asked Alan to have a go at it to see what he could do and then bang 11.701 followed by an 11.72 both at the same exact speed to the thousandth!

Last edited by Hammer Down; 05-17-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Should of done it before as I always ran on straight 91 *****ane...
Sun, I am still in disbelief you beat up on your car so hard so many times on 90 freakin 1 octane gas in the tank Had I known that at the time, I would've given you some of mine.... I always have at least a couple of gallons left over every time. Why the heck did you do that? You could've possibly hit 11s flat....
Old 05-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Sun, I am still in disbelief you beat up on your car so hard so many times on 90 freakin 1 octane gas in the tank Had I known that at the time, I would've given you some of mine.... I always have at least a couple of gallons left over every time. Why the heck did you do that? You could've possibly hit 11s flat....
I know Mo. I always wanted to see what I could do with 91 *****ane. Maybe I should of just put that thought on hold and just had the 11 flat on paper. I'll be ready the next time out fer sure Mo!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I know Mo. I always wanted to see what I could do with 91 *****ane. Maybe I should of just put that thought on hold and just had the 11 flat on paper. I'll be ready the next time out fer sure Mo!
Also, please remember that it's not just good for getting better times, it is also a good preventative measure to protect the car from knocking and keep it running healthy under stress.

You've done everything else right: you reduced weight, used got good drag setup for traction, did decent cooling mods..... and then used 91 octane please tell me that it was at least Chevron

Just joking with ya man.... I'm sure you'll hit your goal next time out
Old 05-17-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
torco is really good is you need a real octaine boost.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
All my previous runs have been on 93 octane. Upon inspection of the motor over the weekend it looked to be in EXCELLENT condition
Old 05-17-2010, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
All my previous runs have been on 93 octane. Upon inspection of the motor over the weekend it looked to be in EXCELLENT condition
Try running CA 91 for a couple of times
Old 05-17-2010, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by mikey33
Is your car just for the track bassn or do you drive it daily with no problems?

Sorry to go off topic, but I want to buy a pulley and was initially thinking 180mm but am starting to think maybe a smaller one would be best because I mostly drive it on the street and hardly at the track. Will dd be affected by having the 180 versus the 172 and how much power am I leaving on the table if I go with the 172? Thanks.
Yes, my car is my daily driver and I love it. All though I try keeping it out of the rain due to my HRE's and the polished finish, it suck maintaining these things. I have put 25,000 miles on my car in 2 years and it's still going strong. My biggest oops by far is trying a valve body mod that grenaded my tranny, never again.... Other than typical things like alternator, SC clutch, and O2's all else has been well.

Pulley size should be decided by your needs and expectations of the car. If you don't plan on investing money into additional cooling a smaller pulley would definitely be more desirable. If you decide to invest in cooling a larger pulley will give you more power and torque, proven many times.

Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
On my previous VRP CL65 jayson cut a 1.5 60' footer with 9X18 Koseis light weight aluminum wheels and 265-40-18 MT's on 18-20 psi's. It is the best drag set up I have had. I cut a 1.62 60 footer because I was affraid of snapping an axle, could have probably done better. , he went 10.72 at 128
We miss the bison!!!! Look forward to seeing you achieve the first MB in the 9's award .

Great thread Alan Both the MT ET Streets and Hoosier drag radials are great tires. The MT's last longer but are heavier and have less flex in the sidewall which make it a better street tire but also puts more strain on the drivetrain on hard launches making it easier to break stuff. The Hoosier drag radial is lighter and a softer sidewall/material that abosrbs the impact of the launch better. Lighter tire means less rotational mass and I believe they are 7lbs a tire lighter than the MTs! I am definitely going to try these next on one of my sets of CCW's but for strictly track use I have switched to the bias ply MT ET Streets. They have alot of flex in the sidewall so I'm not as afraid of breaking stuff. It helps off the line but probably costs mph due to the soft sidewall at higher speeds. Also, I don't recommend mixing bias ply and radial tires
Nice writeup Ahmad . I have tried 3 sets of DR's so far and my current setup (Hoosiers) is by far my favorite. Make no mistake I loved my MT's and they got me my 1st 10 second pass but with the Hoosiers I am definitely much more consistent. The downside is like you mentioned, they do wear much quicker than the MT's ET Street radial.

Originally Posted by 930chas
Alan, super cool of you to share your knowledge with the board. Helping others better their cars through your tried and tested ways is above and beyond man.
Thanks Charlie! I look forward to seeing your beast run in the future. I'm sure once you get everything worked out we'll be seeing some stellar times. I know that beast is strong because I've seen it run in person.

Awesome write up! I'm using a near identical launch technique with awesome results. The 265-40-18 MT ET streets hook everytime for me at my current power/weight level. I can't wait to see what you and sneaky do on Friday
Thanks Ryan. Nick called me telling me how strong your car was running...very impressive. I'm glad to see that you are dead hooking and able to get some excellent ET's with your mods, or should I say mod.....

I use a 16inch CCW rear drag package on my run.

I was schooled on the launch technique from the launch master himself, Alan.
Nah, you did all yourself Sun. You guys had things all figured out without my help. I'm the one that couldn't hook in my friends car but we were still able to get a 11.373 with a 1.77 60's time out of a stage 2 car..... I sure would have loved to get a 1.65 out of Mike's car...man oh man that would have been sick.

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Great thread Alan.... I hope this clears up some misconception and stops rumors that has been "floating around" for some time now regarding your mods

It is worth it to note, however, that a big contribution to the 10 second timeslip is actually driver skill. No mods in the world will help you get 10s without a decent launch technique. Your launch technique (along with Ahmad, Mikey, and others) is incredible. You have a great feel for your car and apparently even for other cars that you haven't driven before. You broke the record in my car by your second run

I can't wait to see how your car does with the newly added mods.
The time is coming and if things go well I should have my car ready. We are cutting it very close with no time to spare. I'll be picking my car up tomorrow night and leaving for LA Wednesday morning. I'll be at Evosport getting my rotors replaced. If we get one hiccup tonight it might not happen. I totally lagged on getting my tech the parts in a timely manner .

As for the rumors.... I'm so used to it Mo it's starting to become almost normal. Anyone who has met me knows what I'm about and that's all that matters. Let the haters hate and keep on going slow.

Jeez Hey Alan, wanna cruise up here and pilot my beast! Hammer, your car is out of control.
You have Nick representing the PNW! Nick is a tremendous resource that you guys should take advantage of. If Nick lived a little closer...., it would be fun!

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
It was just a little luck Jack and I'm sure you would have done the same. These cars are quite easy to drive, so easy I would bet my wife could run a 11.1-11.2 in my car if she wanted to. I've been trying to get her to make a pass in it but she wants nothing to do with it. How hot would that be if my wife made a 10 second pass in my car.

Quit rubbing it Ahmad!!!...jk. Your car is such a beast and I can't believe you only run 93, incredible. Just imagine what a little ice and 100 octane is going to get ya. GAME OVER!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Just imagine what a little ice and 100 octane is going to get ya. GAME OVER!!!!!!
I was going to try it last time at the track and we know the story Too bad I will probably never know what it was capable of on that setup
Old 05-17-2010, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Alan nice write up bro! Looks like faster times are in your future and of course as you keep getting more and more seat time that will just keep helping I think that this is a good example of using your car and mods effeciently and really showcases how much the driver impacts the overall performance of the car. On the roadcourse we see it all the time - and on the drag strip it's just as prevelent.

Well done brother!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
The bassn07 driver mod adds 50whp. Thanks for sharing Alan. I hope you crush your PBs with your new mods.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:56 AM

A Prius because I'm green
Well said Alan, now everyone please look at my avatar and enjoy! haha!

Seriously though Alan has been through a lot, he has hit up Sacramento a lot and just focused on learning his car. I agree with his system which is why I have been a stage 2 for sometime.

Alan only if we could have gotten a real burn out to get into the 1.6s, a stage two running 11.2s would have been sweet!

Back to my point, for all you new guys I know Alan is a prime target to hit up for knowledge and trust me he does enjoy sharing it. One thing we talk about a lot in response to all these emails is this, do the research yourself first.

One thing we both did was learn our car with several track sessions where we changed nothing. Slight air pressure change in the tires until we found out where the car launched best at. One important thing we did was closely pay attention to the weather as it's one variable we couldn't control. I can calculate my runs at Fontana where it was over 100 degrees and it is consistent with my 11.5 runs at Sac on a cooler day with great DA.

I see a lot of threads popping up where they question why they didn't run as well as others. Learn your car, learn how the 60' time effects your end result as well as the weather. There's no need to freak out and come asking members like Alan why. He's not doing something that you yourself couldn't do in your own car. It's why he has hidden his mods for the longest time as many questioned what he has done to his beast. Truth is he does have a hidden secret now but hey you gotta stay ahead of the competition right?

The best thing I learned in the military is KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid.

Thank you Alan for all the information you have shared with me, the forum and more importantly the time you have taken at the track to help me get faster. The greatest thing you have done is be a friend (slightly crying now) and let me learn from seeing what most would love to see, and that is your beast run down the track to help theirs get there.

Do I get a degree for this thesis now?

Last edited by Mikesamg; 05-18-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Alan,

You Rock!!!

I need to be around for one of your free seminars!!!!!!

My last track event this past weekend @ Famaso was not pretty. I neeeeeed to get my cooling under control and get back out their with some sticky tires. My IAT were spiking into the 180's The worst part was that my IAT's were around the 120 mark while staging.

Thanks for the post!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Roseylv
Alan,

You Rock!!!

I need to be around for one of your free seminars!!!!!!

My last track event this past weekend @ Famaso was not pretty. I neeeeeed to get my cooling under control and get back out their with some sticky tires. My IAT were spiking into the 180's The worst part was that my IAT's were around the 120 mark while staging.

Thanks for the post!
I heard it got hot that day.... low 90s What times did you run?