Sponsored by:

Another Airmatic Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Silver E55
Another Airmatic Failure

Well this is not what I wanted in the first few months of ownership. Right front side is nearly slammed down on the tire. Running 19s with low profile . I did get home but was limited on Right hand turns, had some rubbing. I will call on Tue to have the dealer come and get it. I have the Chrysler warranty , so I hope it goes well. I would like both replaced if they let me. has anyone had MB repair with the aftermarket set rather then OEM. The lifetime warranty sounds good about now since I was planning on keeping this car 3-4 years. I didnt really get any warning , no low side in AM. No long airpump sounds. Just driving down the road and then suddenly , bing red warning lights and funny handling like your riding on springs not air. I didnt really feel any handling issues but had to drive 20 miles home, Holiday weekend and all. Car was full of kids and the wife but they really didnt know anything had changed but this still bummed me out.

Last edited by mikeevo; 05-30-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Sorry to hear, esp on a holiday. It'll be fixed no problem, but always a drag to go to the dealer, etc.

I seriously doubt they'll touch the Arnotts plus they'll probably just do the one that failed. Be sure to have them test the pump and relay, etc.. It could have been leaking for a while.

What's the mileage on the odo? Do you have it lowered?
Old 05-30-2010, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
They only replaced my failed strut, and MB is not gonna put aftermarket on for you, unless you're buddies with an awesome SA I would imagine...

What 220 said though, make sure they test the entire system. They should anyways during diagnostic, but who's to always say. Mine was a slow leak it would take overnight and only drop an inch or two. The pump would get it back up during driving just fine, but I took it in before the system could get too stressed.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
i got the red message a couple months ago. But it was driveable. Took it in and it was a loose wire that had to be replaced onthe DS. Wire was for the airmatic release valve.

let us know what MB say having 19s on the car and if it had 'a play' in the airmatic failure
Old 05-30-2010, 11:50 PM

2005 Silver E55
38,000 miles on the odo. I do have the kleeman EBC lowered slightly, as many that have failed I dont see how this plays a roll in leaking rubber boots. I will let you know. I did look at the wiring on top of the strut but it all looks good. I dont hear the pump running at all and you cant raise or lower the car with the button any longer.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cornfed gtr and m3
That really sucks man. Glad you were able to limp her home safely. Also, makes me feel somewhat better that even though you have an elm, you were able to get the car home.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I have talked to my shop foreman about his very problem, he says that the airmatic system can be replaced for a traditional suspension setup. I have had two rear air struts replaced since owning my E63. But as long as it's under warranty, I'm not changing. But hey, it's an option it you've been thinking about it. I recommend maybe the E350 struts, as the E500 is air struts.

Trending Topics

Old 05-31-2010, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Originally Posted by mikeevo
38,000 miles on the odo. I do have the kleeman EBC lowered slightly, as many that have failed I dont see how this plays a roll in leaking rubber boots. I will let you know. I did look at the wiring on top of the strut but it all looks good. I dont hear the pump running at all and you cant raise or lower the car with the button any longer.
thanks. I even took off my 19s and cut off my Renntech ELM when i took it in w/the "visit workshop" icon. I dont want them to say oh, due to this/that we will not cover under warranty the airmatic failure or any suspension related issue.

-will MB subsititue E350 strus instead of replacing the failed airmatic under waranty? that would be nice to have after warranty runs out.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikeevo
38K miles? WTF.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Mercedes will not substitute any strut. I'm saying that if you want to rid yourself of the airmatic strut system, that it can be done with regular gas piston type struts. My shop foreman said that it was possible to swap them. Some members have tossed around the idea, but didn't know if it was possible or not. But it is, the shop foreman, that I'm referring to, is a Master AMG Tech. And if he says that i can be done, well I believe him.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by Yuille36
Mercedes will not substitute any strut. I'm saying that if you want to rid yourself of the airmatic strut system, that it can be done with regular gas piston type struts. My shop foreman said that it was possible to swap them. Some members have tossed around the idea, but didn't know if it was possible or not. But it is, the shop foreman, that I'm referring to, is a Master AMG Tech. And if he says that i can be done, well I believe him.
fwiw, my Indy mechanic (who really seems to know AMGs inside and out and is factory trained) says the same thing.

But he also said a couple of other things:

1) It's expensive to make the switch and you have to work with the ECU relays to cut off the ADC/ADS electronics to not get codes.

2) He felt that the latest Airmatic components are much better than the older ones. He thinks the advantages of the AMG tuned Airmatic is much better than the E350 suspension (of course, he can fix anything quick and cheap himself.)

3) If you go with a steel suspension replacement, your warranty (either MB ELW or Chrysler, etc..) will no longer cover anything to do with suspension related parts

4) Stick with the stock wheel and tire size and don't lower either with SDS or ELM/EBC, etc..

He claims MB's pneumatic systems are better than Range Rover, Lexus, etc..

Anyway, just for what it's worth...