Sponsored by:

Intake idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
Intake idea

I was thinking about an ideal intake setup for the E55 and after reading a bit from Kenne Bell and their take on intakes I came up with a question. Wanted to run it by you all.

Why couldn't you just run intakes straight into the fender? Under the fender but on top of the fender liner so you don't get water and gunk on it. The advantages would be that you would have a very short run from filter to the throttle body and more importanly you wouldn't be exposing your intake to under the hood temps any more then possible. Being force induction I don't believe having a "ram air" setup is worth anything so I don't see a problem there as long as there is room to cut into the fender and room for a filter.

I need to go and take a wheel off and pull the liner just to see if there is any room for a filter but I wanted to see if anyone has tried or thought about this. I may get my answer real quick once I start to dig, just haven't had a chance yet. There is also the option of an inline filter. I proposed using silicone tubing for the piping because it's very easy to use and insluates to a degree.

Without pulling the liner it seems like you would have to cut a hole in each fender which some people may not like but I've done worse lol

Anyway, what do you think?
Old 05-31-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
you lost me at cutting into my fender -- thats probably why this is not being done and you still need some airflow in that fender -- it can not just be a vacuum
Old 05-31-2010, 02:41 PM

I've thought about that but is it going to be that void of air at WOT? I'm not so sure. It's been done plenty with great success
Old 05-31-2010, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
You're def on the right path, it's actually more ram-air than you think Doooo Eeeettt
Old 05-31-2010, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
not all f/i is the same. unlike a turbo, ram air does play a role in a positive displacement blower.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:06 PM

I was thinking of maybe an intake like this www.prmracing.com but I'm not sure it could flow enough to be worth it. I'm talking with the owner. But if it sufficed it would solve the room problem under the liner. If I'm not mistake many manufactures have intakes in the fender these days.

I'm not worried about water because this is over top of the fender liner. My dad's cup car's intake is very exposed compared to this setup but has a small hole in the bottom of his very expensive intake and he's ran fine in the rain. Many cup cars do. It's just not a factor unless the intake gets dunked as far as I can tell.

Mike, I'm not sure how to do "ram air" without exposing the intake to hot air under the hood or using the factory tubes. I've seen the carbon tubes but those don't interest me and you're always going to have to have either a factory like setup of have cone filters in the engine bay. This minimizes the exposure to the engine bay and makes it a straight shot to the Y-Pipe.

I think the fact that it would be a very short intake grabbing air from a true cold air source would help more then it being non "ram air" would hurt but that's speculation. From what I've seen I think it would beat the crap out of the factory setup. A cheap 20-30hp perhaps? The colder the air is coming in the better it should be once the supercharger gets a hold of it no? Only a dyno could tell and even that is debatable given that road wind is different then dyno wind lol If I did this it would use silicone and be wrapped and possibly heat shielded from the headers, which should be here monday

I'm still researching and learning. This just seems so simple though and simple can be good

Last edited by Luke_M; 05-31-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:28 PM

Well I finally got to look at it closer, with day light and the PRM intake isn't going to work. Way to big to go at the proper angle. Assuming you could eveb get a filter in the fender you'd have one heck of a time getting there. It would take a few 45 and 90 degree bends and even then I'm not sure it's possible. The heads, exhaust manifolds and some hard lines are all in the way. I'll have to get it on a lift one day and take a closer look.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by chiromikey
not all f/i is the same. unlike a turbo, ram air does play a role in a positive displacement blower.
Bray's the pompous *** Constantly trying to correct me w/your flawed ramblings is getting old why don't you STFUP already? You must like ramming your melon up your back door

http://api.ning.com/files/j52o*TELl6.../headUpAss.jpg

Last edited by Thericker; 05-31-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
There is decent pressure there coming from the front end curving around and up.

Similar to the older diesel cars that had some vents in the fenders.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by Thericker
Bray's the pompous *** Constantly trying to correct me w/your flawed ramblings is getting old why don't you STFUP already? You must like ramming your melon up your back door

HAte to instigate but LOL on the melon ramming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:35 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by Luke_M
I was thinking of maybe an intake like this www.prmracing.com but I'm not sure it could flow enough to be worth it. I'm talking with the owner. But if it sufficed it would solve the room problem under the liner. If I'm not mistake many manufactures have intakes in the fender these days.

I'm not worried about water because this is over top of the fender liner. My dad's cup car's intake is very exposed compared to this setup but has a small hole in the bottom of his very expensive intake and he's ran fine in the rain. Many cup cars do. It's just not a factor unless the intake gets dunked as far as I can tell.

Mike, I'm not sure how to do "ram air" without exposing the intake to hot air under the hood or using the factory tubes. I've seen the carbon tubes but those don't interest me and you're always going to have to have either a factory like setup of have cone filters in the engine bay. This minimizes the exposure to the engine bay and makes it a straight shot to the Y-Pipe.

I think the fact that it would be a very short intake grabbing air from a true cold air source would help more then it being non "ram air" would hurt but that's speculation. From what I've seen I think it would beat the crap out of the factory setup. A cheap 20-30hp perhaps? The colder the air is coming in the better it should be once the supercharger gets a hold of it no? Only a dyno could tell and even that is debatable given that road wind is different then dyno wind lol If I did this it would use silicone and be wrapped and possibly heat shielded from the headers, which should be here monday

I'm still researching and learning. This just seems so simple though and simple can be good
Ive tried a few diffrent intake set ups and have had a hard time showing gains on the dyno or at the track. I have pics posted of my last one I tried. Good luck
Old 05-31-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I will try and find the link, but the other day I ran across an interesting bit of research on a bmw 335I comparing the iat's with the stock filter and a cold air intake; the gains were negligable.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

your vanity is blurring your perception of reality. i wasn't even commenting with any regard to your post or about what pressure may be found in our fender wells. i was commenting on luke's beliefe that ram air doesn't play a role in our cars. quit being so insecure.
Originally Posted by Luke_M
...Being force induction I don't believe having a "ram air" setup is worth anything...

Last edited by chiromikey; 06-01-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Nice erased/edited out Roid comments you made, like the coward you innately are

Originally Posted by chiromikey
your vanity is blurring your perception of reality. i wasn't even commenting with any regard to your post or about what pressure may be found in our fender wells. i was commenting on luke's beliefe that ram air doesn't play a role in our cars. quit being so insecure.
Yet PM me laughable cus fest/put dwns (I was expecting more from a Dr...Ohhh wait your Not a REAL Dr. you're 1 of those fake Quack/Chiropractics that bleed the US millions & millions of dollars through bogus workers Comp claims every year in unneeded back procedures/adjustments/etc...

You've got my cell, call me up Princess & back-up this spastic cuss fest, I can meet ANYTIME this week
Old 06-01-2010, 04:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Yet PM me laughable cus fest/put dwns (I was expecting more from a Dr...Ohhh wait your Not a REAL Dr. you're 1 of those fake Quack/Chiropractics that bleed the US millions & millions of dollars through bogus workers Comp claims every year in unneeded back procedures/adjustments/etc...

You've got my cell, call me up Princess & back-up this spastic cuss fest, I can meet ANYTIME this week
Do you guys have some sort of history or something?????
Old 06-01-2010, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by mikey33
Yes, he's a pompous immature a$$hole that fancies himself an ALL knowing MB tuning expert (tho reality proves far from it) legend in his own mind Now it's time to face the music MIKEY!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikey33
no history whatsoever...except i was one of the few people he hadn't tried to bully or start a fight with.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lmao!!! sorry, i don't need your number cause i'm not insecure enough to want to fight someone over internet babble, so there's no need to continue threatening me over pm's. if you're really that inclined to beat me up because you can't take it when someone fires back at your level of insults...well, i'm sure you can figure out where i live.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Come on guys take this to pm's and let the OP share his thoughts and insight with us before the thread gets closed. It's just about cars fella's nothing more or less.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYLsyNBnE5M
Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you're right alan and i shouldn't have let the uninstigated pm and post get to me. i'm done and my apologies to the members.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Time for a break...

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Conway Twitty...