Sponsored by:

How to deal with payment when buying a car and getting it shipped

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c55
How to deal with payment when buying a car and getting it shipped

I am close to working out the terms to get an e55 that is in Texas. My question is that when you are dealing with a private seller how should the payment be handled? How can payment be arranged so that he will get his money and I will know I am not being scammed? I will have to arrange shipping and am looking into a pre-inspection that I can make sure the car checks out.

I am sure many of people have done this just would like to know how.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
I would first get the preinspection completed first and a copy faxed to you. This will ensure at the least that a car does exist.

Generally a seller would want the funds wired to their account.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:30 PM

2005 c55
Yes,
step one will be the inspection that will run me $249. After that will have to deal with shipping and payment. Not comfortable wiring money to their account unless I have the title and can be assured that car is at the shipping company. I just want to protect myself and wonder how this is done so that I feel comfortable and so does the seller.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
PM emoving. He's sold a few on here and can give you more info/insight.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rrich49132
Yes,
step one will be the inspection that will run me $249. After that will have to deal with shipping and payment. Not comfortable wiring money to their account unless I have the title and can be assured that car is at the shipping company. I just want to protect myself and wonder how this is done so that I feel comfortable and so does the seller.
I bought my e55 out of state as well. I live down in texas and purchased it from a private owner in Virginia. I agree, you need to in fact verifiy that the car does exist and that the individual has the right to sell it. Hopefully, the title is in the owners possession free and clear, if not then you need to contact the lender and make sure there are no additional liens against the vehicle. I sent a certified bank draft as funds, noting that the funds where to be used for the purchase of the vehicle ( VIN included). Once all of the funds cleared I made arrangements to have to car transported to Texas. Of note I did make sure that the car passed the PPI before I started negociating on the selling price. Good Luck
Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
You can also use a third-party escrow service, such as, escrow.com (not free) to ensure that everyone is getting what they're looking for.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:57 PM

Current: 2004 E55 Sold:350zTT
I recently purchased my E55 from out of state a few months ago. I ultimately ended up flying down to Florida from Maryland and driving it back.

But, I was originally going to purchase a vehicle from California and have it transported. I had a contact in California facilitate the transaction by sending the Certified Bank check to him with the VIN number on the check to ensure that was the only use for it.

Another option I had setup was to have the dealership that was doing the PPI exchange the check for title and have it sent to me.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
for a few hundred why not just fly there and do a visual ? Heck if the car is a bomb at least u can stop by the Big Texan and try and eat one of their signature 72 ounce slabs of beef
Old 06-01-2010, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Silver E55
I did a buy and ship a few months ago. I called a local car dealer paid 250 to have then verify all info. clean title and fax all paper work back and forth. they held the car until picked up. worked out well. and then you have the car and all the paper work at one time. with the dealership holding the car. they have a License to loose if it goes bad.