W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering selling BMW 01 740iS & 96 911 C4S for 07 E63 or 06 E55. Would you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:44 PM

Received 172 Likes on 109 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
Considering selling BMW 01 740iS & 96 911 C4S for 07 E63 or 06 E55. Would you?

So, each of my 2 cars cost about $3k a year on average in repairs averaged out over the years I've owned then, because I can't and don't do any DIY work. I bring them both to independent mechanics but it still costs a lot in repairs. At the end of 5 years we'll have spent about $25-30k to fix them, plus the BMW has to sit out on the street (we only have a 2 car garage, not a 3 car - my wife's 07 Acura RL sits in 1 garage spot and the 911 is in the other spot. If I sold them both (the BMW and 911) and had 1 car instead, it would always be garaged.

I LOVE my 2 cars but it's a lot of work going to repair shops while I work a busy schedule at a new job to get them fixed when they need it. I've owned them both for 5+ glorious years (7 yrs for the 911). My loving wife suggested buying 1 car that's a lot newer with a warranty to replace these 2 maintenance hogs, particularly a Japanese car due to low maintenance expense and low rate of repair compared to euro cars. She's really pushing me to get a Japanese car like another Acura RL (ughhh) or anything else Japanese.

She's right, but the only car I like is the 2007 Lexus LS 460 and I'm still not totally sure of the looks of it. I like it, it rides well for what it is, it's executive-ish looking which feeds my male ego, but I'm not sure of the styling. I'd only get a silver with black car. I've warmed up to it but it doesn't make my blood boil like when I see a ... MB E63 or MB S63 (way too much money) or BMW 550i (I have to have an automatic - I'm in bumper to bumper traffic all day).

I drove a BMW 06 M5 2 days ago as the dealer told me SMG was like using an automatic and it was awful. It hesitated terribly between shifts till it kicked into gear in it's automatic mode. I hated it in just 5 minutes of driving. Beautiful car, though. That's out. I drove a 07 E63 too that day and was pleasantly surprised. Alright, it pretty much blew me away. They only let me drive around the block (I was dressed pretty rattily but that's probably all they offer anyone at this small, independent luxury car dealer in the Va. suburbs) but it was thrilling as heck.

It was the exact color I like, silver with black, pano, just gorgeous. It's really "me". It would be SO hard to sell my cars though, particularly the 993 (911). I am involved with Porsche "Meet and Drives" a few times a year - something I really look forward to, I'm on a Porsche web forum A LOT and have made acquaintances there over the years (had an 88 911 for 5 years too before the 96), and have a similar situation with my BMW.

I could probably get $28-30k or so for the 911 with 87K miles, and $8-10k or so for the BMW with 101k miles, for a total of about $37-39k when it's all said and done. I'd only be able to buy a car for what I can sell my other 2 cars for. I realize that puts me in 05-06 E55 territory, but I might be able to finagle the extra money for the 07 E63 if I can get one with higher miles, or a Manheim auction car, or maybe just wait till prices drop (though they could equally drop on my current cars). For the right car, I might be able to sell something or just take money out of savings to make it happen.

I understand that the AMG MB is not a Lexus and repairs could be a living, breathing nightmare. I realize I HAVE to get an extended warranty so I'll have to add on that amount to my bottom line cost. Out of warranty, 3-4 years down the road, do you have a crystal ball and have any thoughts on whether this E63 for instance would be extremely expensive to maintain? I guess I could just sell it at that point if it was... Is this idea foolish?

For someone in my situation, would you suggest just playing it safe and buying the Lexus, giving up style but getting peace of mind?

Or just keep what I have and enjoy the benefit of 2 cars which is really fun, and hope that maintenance stays low for the next year while my new job kicks in money wise (I'm not earning much right now at the new sales position as I just started)?

Or dump my 2 older cars and buy the beastly AMG E? Maybe the E55 to save money? Looks wise, I REALLY prefer the newer E63. Plus, I like that E63 badging. It's really cool looking. Shallow, I know, but I like what I like. My nav on my 01 BMW is antiquated (from 2001) so I doubt it's worse than that on the 07 AMG, as bad as it may be. Asking price on some of these E63's is now $40-42k. Here's one for instance...
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

I realize the lower price ones don't have Pano roof though, which is really hot! I think I could live without it, but it sure would be nice to have this feature unless you can think of any reasons to pass on it other than weight. The one I drove 2 days ago did have it and I really liked it, extra weight be damned. Like extra weight is really an issue for the way I drive (not so aggressively like I used to when I was younger) and on a car with 500 hp. It was $47k for the one in Virginia, not $42k like the link for one above, and had 42k miles on the pano car I drove.

Truly, all I really need is an E350 but that wouldn't make me happy. If I'm giving up 2 "killer" cars, I want something that I lust after, like the gorgeous, powerful when you need it, own the road-ish - E AMG car.

This is what I'm giving up by the way...

The last option, is to sell my 911, pocket the $30k or so from the sale, and use it to keep fixing the beloved BMW for the next 10 years (wife won't complain about the car expense anymore as it won't take money away from my paycheck and/or savings. ) Money-wise, this option makes all the sense in the world. But life isn't always about always doing sensical things. I just don't know... so I'm not going to do anything just yet.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matter. I've read back most of the pertinent posts on this forum going back 4-5 pages. It's super interesting for a car guy like me. I've never owned a MB before. For years I wanted an 03-06 S55 but have decided that it's a bit too outrageous looking for my "subtle style".

The E63 is cuter, smaller of course, less outrageous, less bodacious, more disarming, stealthier (especially if the rear is debadged), and subtler that that S55. That back seat is pretty darn small, though in the E type. It's the one major demerit I see with the car. On a 5 hour trip to NYC, I'd certainly want my passengers sitting in my large BMW 740i instead of this E AMG car. But, that rarely happens that we have passengers in the back for long road trips.

Also, I really love the armrest between the seats in my BMW. The armrest in the 07 E63 is so thin and tiny due to the wooden cover that's there over the cupholders. Not a good design in my opinion. Does it bug you guys on long trips that there's no great place to rest your right arm other than that thin strip of leather or do you just adapt and get used to it?

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 06-02-2010, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG Cabrio 2007 E63 AMG
Steve,

I'm prob gonna go against what most will tell you (this is, after all, a mercedes forum) but it sounds like you love BOTH of your cars.

You should probably keep them both, and put off your AMG dreams until you can afford one while only giving up ONE of your cars.

I gave up one of my cars when I bought my E63 to make room in the garage- a pristine 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo (don't laugh - it was totally built and was probably faster than your Porsche, both in a straight line, or in the curves - remember, the nickname for MR2's was "the poor man's ferrari") but it was time for me to grow up and my wife wanted me in something safer - the MR2 was only marginally safer than a motorcycle in a crash........

The E63 is an awesome machine in so many ways, but you already have two very nice cars which provide distincly different driving experiences. I think u will miss the Porsche in the curves, and although the E63 is actually has a bigger backseat and trunk than u are giving it credit for, you will probably miss your limo-sized 7-series on long trips.

just my .02

but it sure sounds like u really love your current cars, and might have "sellers remorse".
Old 06-02-2010, 12:52 AM

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
These are two awesome cars in their own respect. From what I've seen the air-cooled Porsche's are increasing in value if not then definitely holding their values, from what I have read they seem to be one of the most reliable 911's. The E38 Bimmer is without a doubt the last real 7 series and you have the best version. I also own one and can't see that it will cost you much more in maintenance other than oil changes and brakes, you probably had a big service around 100k miles. I feel the E63 is not going to give you the experience that each of these cars gives. I'd be crying really hard if I had to part with these 2 beautiful cars. E63's are a dime a dozen, clean examples of the cars you already have are getting rarer by the day. I say keep what you have.

Upgrade the nav drive to DVD on the 740, you can also add bluetooth and sat radio... with this I think your nav would be on par with the E63's maybe better.

Last edited by abhatti55; 06-02-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:53 AM

Porsche993-ML55AMG-WRX STI-soon e55 211
Trust me keep the 993 c4s you will regret i did that mistake...=(
Old 06-02-2010, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I had a garage space issue a while back and so I put my 993 in storage for a while (rented a garage.) Now that the scenario has changed (we bought another house with a big garage) I'm happy I didn't give it up.

Maybe just store it for a while(?)

As far as ownership costs, it's not going to be much different between a 740 and a 993, and a 55/63. My own experience is that the 993 is relatively minimal maintenance-wise (a 740 is a bit of a different story.) I also have collector's insurance with agreed upon value on the 993 and it's pretty cheap.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Keep the current cars you love. When you're ready (financially & mentally) to get a new car, you'll know it, without having to ask complete strangers on a message forum whether it's a good idea. I mean that in the best way.

Keep the 2, get an AMG when you're able to keep the 993 AND the MBZ. You'll know when it's time.

Cheers.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Agreed with the above comments, and either way, definitely keep the 993.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:43 AM

Wow, thanks a lot for making this decision easier for me. I realize that it's not appropriate having anyone other than me making the decision but your input is worthwhile in my quandary.

It's not what I expected you'd say yet you've put it in perspective. The 993 IS garaged, so that's "safe" from the elements when it gets bad outside. The BMW sits out on the street, for better or for worse. It's not that bad that it sits out there. It's a really tough car. It's my 3rd one, I had a 95 for 5 years, a 2001 for 2 years that got totaled and this current 2001 for 5 years. I'm really a BMW guy down to the core but this AMG has intrigued me for years.

It doesn't bother me to any extent that the BMW sits out on the street (no driveway...). I just thought it might be better to own one car that would never have to sit out on the street in all the snow storms and the pollen all night getting full of it (pollen so thick it would make a clean car guy cry), but with a silver car it's still dealable. I could never own another black car. My wife's black/black RL is bad enough with all the cleaning...

This is all food for thought and you're right I guess, I'll know deep inside when it's time to make this move. Right this second might not be that time, but I'll marinate on it a bit more. I think part of me would be crushed selling the 993.

I can't thank you enough for your responses.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Keep what you have, shortly the E55tt will be out and the 63s will become much more attainable.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Steve - Not that it is any of my business...but in March you asked for advice on Rennlist that you were in financial troubles..you got 15 pages (!!!) of advice from concerned and fellow members. You talked about cashing in your 401K, selling your cars, selling your house, renting out part of your house to assist your financial situation etc etc....now I am confused you now want to buy a car for $40K that is fast depreciating?

Why don't you actually listen to your wife, sell the 740i and the 993 and buy a used car that is fun, easy to run and maintain and can actually be driven in the Winter (there are a million choices out there) until your financial situation is stable and improved?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Steve - Not that it is any of my business...but in March you asked for advice on Rennlist that you were in financial troubles..you got 15 pages (!!!) of advice from concerned and fellow members. You talked about cashing in your 401K, selling your cars, selling your house, renting out part of your house to assist your financial situation etc etc....now I am confused you now want to buy a car for $40K that is fast depreciating?

Why don't you actually listen to your wife, sell the 740i and the 993 and buy a used car that is fun, easy to run and maintain and can actually be driven in the Winter (there are a million choices out there) until your financial situation is stable and improved?
Yes, that's true. I did post that, but our situation has changed and I have started a new job. Plus, I don't want to do what you're suggesting and don't have to now. But thanks for reminding me of that. I am pretty hard headed when it comes to selling these cars. Luckily, things are a lot better at the moment.

Last edited by stever500; 06-02-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 AM

2005 c55
I keep going back and forth myself about getting rid of a mint condition 2000 CLK430 Convertible with only 55K miles that I do still like and on the maintenance side has not been bad at all last few years. I know I could only get about 13K at best and which leaves me with about 17K to spend to get a really nice e55 which I have had my eye on for years.

The only point I want to make is what you think you can get for your cars and what you will actually get are two different things. The Porsche will be a tough sell at $28K. I find more and more people selling cars that are over 6yrs old that unless someone has access to cash, or a home equity line that financing is tough. I looked at an e55 a week ago and the guy selling had two buyers that agreed to buy it but could not get financing.

Anyways nice cars.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by rrich49132
I keep going back and forth myself about getting rid of a mint condition 2000 CLK430 Convertible with only 55K miles that I do still like and on the maintenance side has not been bad at all last few years. I know I could only get about 13K at best and which leaves me with about 17K to spend to get a really nice e55 which I have had my eye on for years.

The only point I want to make is what you think you can get for your cars and what you will actually get are two different things. The Porsche will be a tough sell at $28K. I find more and more people selling cars that are over 6yrs old that unless someone has access to cash, or a home equity line that financing is tough. I looked at an e55 a week ago and the guy selling had two buyers that agreed to buy it but could not get financing.

Anyways nice cars.
I can't believe your car is only worth $13k now! I remember when they came out... they were and are so nice.

I've researched selling prices and purchase prices for years and feel confident I can get close to what I'd ask for my cars. But it's all theory until a buyer shows up. I regularly get people emailing me about buying my 993 on that forum so I hope I'm right about this.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 AM

2005 c55
When I started to do research as to what these where going for it was depressing. I just could not see myself part ways for it that cheap.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:40 AM

2004 E55
Both of those cars are beautiful! The 740i is my favorite year, and has all the best options! Dont sell. If anything, sell the house and get one with a bigger garage!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 AM

95 E300D, 97 FZJ-80
I'd keep the 740. That's a good looking car.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
I'm going to offer advice from a little different perspective based on my own experiences.

Dump your old cars and get something new with a warranty. Yea, I know it's tough to sell a car you've had for awhile and that you like. But, when you start spending 25 to 30 K a year in maintanence, it's time for a new car. You'll forget about that old iron a lot quicker than you think especially if your driving something newer, more fun, that costs less to own and is probably a lot faster than either of your old cars.

Every day you hold onto those old cars, they're worth less and will cost more to repair. Not to mention the waste of time spent shuffleing cars back and forth to the repair shop.

I keep track of repair costs. When they get anywhere near the payment for a new one...I get a new one.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
Originally Posted by Xander Crews
I'd keep the 740. That's a good looking car.
+1.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:45 PM

03 E55 AMG - 01 996 TT
sir, both of your cars have high mileage ... personally i would dump them both ... and get a cheap e55 with a warranty

you are saying that your cars cost on average 6k a year total to fix ... i think that is a very conservative estimate. Both cars are high mileage and could at any time need an expensive repair.

if you can get 45k for both cars and buy an 03 e55 amg ... get the warranty ... keep 15 to 20k in the bank account

save money for a 996tt ...
Old 06-02-2010, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by 930chas
Agreed with the above comments, and either way, definitely keep the 993.
+1
Old 06-02-2010, 02:45 PM

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
Originally Posted by bjr7141
sir, both of your cars have high mileage ... personally i would dump them both ... and get a cheap e55 with a warranty
High mileage according to who? Is 100k miles the end of a Porsche or BMW's life? Do you have evidence to show that something major is going to break in either car? Seems like he has maintained them well and they should last well in to the 200k mile range. I've never understood the mindset that a car with 100k miles has some sort of plague and its going to self destruct when it hits that magic number.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:51 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Sell the BMW, and keep the 993. I've had a few 993's and regret selling them.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:00 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by abhatti55
High mileage according to who? Is 100k miles the end of a Porsche or BMW's life? Do you have evidence to show that something major is going to break in either car? Seems like he has maintained them well and they should last well in to the 200k mile range. I've never understood the mindset that a car with 100k miles has some sort of plague and its going to self destruct when it hits that magic number.
My 1997 S500 has 130K on it! Shes as strong as day one. High miles. HA!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:56 PM

03 E55 AMG - 01 996 TT
high mileage according to me, while i do agree with your statement, 100k is somewhat of a mystical number, just like 100 pitches in baseball ... but the average joe isnt buying a car with 100k on it ... its all about mind set

nope no evidence, but i do think it is more probable, and in both cars you could run into a repair bill which may hit your pocket hard

especially if you cant do it your self

I say sell, while you can still get something ... e55 now ... save the remaining cash

pathfinder = 194k ... runs like crap ... but it runs
Old 06-02-2010, 05:18 PM

E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
That E63 you posted is sharp. If you're in love with your 993 then that's a tough call. However, I will say that the E63/E55 is kind of like both your 7 series and 911 all in one package. Plus if you wait for a good deal on a car with a 3 year warranty then that saves you a lot in repairs right there. There is something to be said about going to a newer, faster car and the AMG's are that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Considering selling BMW 01 740iS & 96 911 C4S for 07 E63 or 06 E55. Would you?