Sponsored by:

Gas Smell... Help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Gas Smell... Help!!!

Just picked up the car from MB dealer and they said that said that there were no leaks found for the 2009-020001 recall. Service guy told me that they pulled the rear seat and found no evidence of leaking as.

I just purchased the car one week ago and the previous owner (dealer) repaired a fuel leak, which MB service said that they could see that the work had been done.

They did say that if I notice the smell especially after filling up to bring the car back immediately... Can anyone tell me what this problem is and what the fix is? Is it a warranty item or something that is on me?

I have been running an ozone machine in the car for about 5 days and it has improved the air quality in the car, but I still smell like a gas can when I get out of the car. Help please!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I had a strong gas smell in mine a couple of months ago. Like everything else, it took a couple of trips to the dealership to get it fixed. The SA said it was a leaking sending unit in the gas tank. It has been OK since. I have the MB extended warranty and it paid for it in full.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Here you go, and welcome to the board.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...smell-fix.html
Old 06-02-2010, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E55
Same problem here. Drove the car for two weeks hoping it would go away but after nonstop headaches took the car to the stealer and found out there was a recall on the fuel pump seal or something around that area and had it fixed for free.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Ok pulled the seat and.....

Drivers side was bone dry. Look like the previous owner had probably made the repair as he had claimed. I pulled the passenger side and there was a small amount of what appeared to be fuel. However, when I cleaned it out with a paper towel it had the consistancy and smell of grease. I don't believe that it was gas sitting in there.

What now?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:05 PM

2005 E55
Looks like i have come across the same problem here. I pulled the seats and had a look at the fuel filter module (drivers side) and found a pool of gas sitting in there. The hose seems to be fine and does not show any immediate signs of leaking so i am assuming that it is the seal. I will call MB tomorrow to see if the recall was done. Im hoping that it can be fixed via that route.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also decided to check the fuel pump on the other side since i already had the seat out. To my surprise, there was a litle fuel in there as well, but no where near as much as there was on the other side. Any ideas on this issues since it is the fuel pump?

Thanks,

Last edited by Eurohorses; 07-08-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
When I had my pumps replaced, my tech did spill some gas around the area in the back. Took bout 2-3 weeks to get rid of. Just make sure you are keeping those windows open as long as you can and overnight for sure. Invites creepy crawlies inside but my smell is totally gone now. Worth popping those seats a couple more times to check for new leaks.