W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big HP fuel problems (pic) Solutions?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:19 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Data Log

Hello Bassn_07; I really like your data logs , All seem on que for a 1/4 mile run. Even the EGT , But what cylinder are you recording. I would keep track of #8
If this data log was with the colder S/Ps, then It looks good. But with your other warmer S/Ps , I think you would have been in the Danger zone , on a speed 1 mile run

As you know I let my Car set for 3 years, The fuel system & Tank was really gunked up . So I took on the task of Cleaning it . The pumps were locked up, Freed them with Snap-on air motor oil. It has Oil of wintergreen blend. I also found the fuel pick up screen , Cracked. UGH. And you know you just can not get the pick up screen , you have to buy the big dollar fuel module. So I took the pump off the outside of the module over the the Chevy Garage. They found a large Bag type push on Filter. 10X more filter area. It pushed on perfectly. This Fuel module is built buy Peerburg and is serviced as an assy. FOOLED THEM

Well ,Then I filled the fuel line from the fire wall to the filter assy , with a engine combustion chamber type cleaner. I let it sit for 3 hours . Then flushed it out with fresh gas . I then cut open the fuel filter. It was doing its job, ( CUT THE ENDs OFF) And Now you know the rest of the story. I could not have Jeremy tune my car with a Dirty fuel system. He spend quite some time getting the Rich fuel droup out the the curve. Buy the time i Finished this up The summer heat came in . Cheers to all _PTEngineering
Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by PTE
Hello Bassn_07; I really like your data logs , All seem on que for a 1/4 mile run. Even the EGT , But what cylinder are you recording. I would keep track of #8
If this data log was with the colder S/Ps, then It looks good. But with your other warmer S/Ps , I think you would have been in the Danger zone , on a speed 1 mile run

As you know I let my Car set for 3 years, The fuel system & Tank was really gunked up . So I took on the task of Cleaning it . The pumps were locked up, Freed them with Snap-on air motor oil. It has Oil of wintergreen blend. I also found the fuel pick up screen , Cracked. UGH. And you know you just can not get the pick up screen , you have to buy the big dollar fuel module. So I took the pump off the outside of the module over the the Chevy Garage. They found a large Bag type push on Filter. 10X more filter area. It pushed on perfectly. This Fuel module is built buy Peerburg and is serviced as an assy. FOOLED THEM

Well ,Then I filled the fuel line from the fire wall to the filter assy , with a engine combustion chamber type cleaner. I let it sit for 3 hours . Then flushed it out with fresh gas . I then cut open the fuel filter. It was doing its job, ( CUT THE ENDs OFF) And Now you know the rest of the story. I could not have Jeremy tune my car with a Dirty fuel system. He spend quite some time getting the Rich fuel droup out the the curve. Buy the time i Finished this up The summer heat came in . Cheers to all _PTEngineering
Thanks Pat.

This is with my standard plugs and right now with my one step colder plugs I'm seeing 1360 at the same RPM. My EGT's are even looking better right now with some of additional mods. When I get a chance I'll shoot you a file to read (just download the latest file from Zeitronix) and you will be amazed at how much better my new logs looks. If you noticed you could also see how that torque management comes into play in the TPS before every shift.

As I was saying this was done last year and since then a few things have changed. I'm now maxing out my fuel towards redline and need to have my fuel pump assy changed out to see if that resolves the problem. If not I'll be eager to see what some of these more informed members come up with....subscribing!!!!

Last edited by bassn_07; 06-10-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:25 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Thanks Pat.

This is with my standard plugs and right now with my one step colder plugs I'm seeing 1360 at the same RPM. My EGT's are even looking better right now with some of additional mods. When I get a chance I'll shoot you a file to read (just download the latest file from Zeitronix) and you will be amazed at how much better my new logs looks. If you noticed you could also see how that torque management comes into play in the TPS before every shift.

As I was saying this was done last year and since then a few things have changed. I'm now maxing out my fuel towards redline and need to have my fuel pump assy changed out to see if that resolves the problem. If not I'll be eager to see what some of these more informed members come up with....subscribing!!!!

Alan, thanks for the log file.. I could look at those for hours and they tell such a great story.. I have not had a chance to check my pressure, since the fuel filter change and port job on it.. I pulled one header back off to work on an area still touching the frame.. Should be back on the road this weekend and start testing the fuel..

PTE, I also cut my filter apart and will post a picture later on.. The CL filter is a large diameter filter and was only 40 bucks list.. Just had to open the inlet/outlet some to match system.. I think the 1mm port , was worth a 43% area increase..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Thanks for all the great info guys, keep it coming.
Alan I figured you would have some useful insight. BTW do you happen to know the size of that fitting on the fuel rail?

After seeing what you guys have to say I think it makes sense to to start with replacing the sender/filter unit and see if that clears up the lean problem I am having (car has 48K miles). I ordered it and should be here in a few days. Can't hurt to clean the injectors as well.

Do you guys think I should replace the fuel pump assembly on the other side of the back seat as well, just to be safe? I am not sure of the cost of that unit, but sure it is not cheap.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
Thanks for all the great info guys, keep it coming.
Alan I figured you would have some useful insight. BTW do you happen to know the size of that fitting on the fuel rail?

After seeing what you guys have to say I think it makes sense to to start with replacing the sender/filter unit and see if that clears up the lean problem I am having (car has 48K miles). I ordered it and should be here in a few days. Can't hurt to clean the injectors as well.

Do you guys think I should replace the fuel pump assembly on the other side of the back seat as well, just to be safe? I am not sure of the cost of that unit, but sure it is not cheap.

Thanks!
from what i hear they should be replaced together.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by shardul
from what i hear they should be replaced together.
I believe that's also what my tech told me.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Thanks, just looked it up and the pump assembly is about $355 and the filter is about $375 from mercedespartsclub.com (a sponsor).
Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
$340+$336 from parts.com. I've recently ordered 2 unrelated parts from there and both have come from the MB warehouse with very reasonable shipping.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Originally Posted by cahiil55k
$340+$336 from parts.com. I've recently ordered 2 unrelated parts from there and both have come from the MB warehouse with very reasonable shipping.
Good to know. Also sent an inquiry to BenzNL so we should know the cheapest source soon.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:34 AM

Bicycle
Been working on my fuel system for the last few days, Its pretty much taken on a life of its own and is now telling me what it wants. When its all said and done(as of tonight) this is what it should be.
twin (2) bosch 044 pumps (300l/hr x2)
2 bottom mount 8 an fittings feeding the pumps.
2 40 micron filters
3 8 AN fitting are now in the fuel rail, so I'll feed each side with its own pump the last 8AN goes to a Mallory rasing rate regulator adjustable from 30-100 psi.
6AN return line to the tank.
I just scored some 577cc injectors, there not in yet but they look very promising and in my typical fashion were very inexspensive.
I'd like to find some 650cc and be the first 55 on E85!!

For those that want to know, the stock injectors look to be stamped 386 and another stamp says 60. From what I'm told is that there high impedance 386cc & 60 psi. the math works out at our 80 psi setup. Still just guess though
Old 06-11-2010, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Intresting info...keep us posted. I would be curious to see the limitations of the E55 fuel system, especially with E85. On my evo with E85 I'm running twin walbro 255's and 1250cc injectors that puts me at about 90% IDC. 386cc sounds much too small for E85 but that being said there are more injectors in the E55 then the evo.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
Been working on my fuel system for the last few days, Its pretty much taken on a life of its own and is now telling me what it wants. When its all said and done(as of tonight) this is what it should be.
twin (2) bosch 044 pumps (300l/hr x2)
2 bottom mount 8 an fittings feeding the pumps.
2 40 micron filters
3 8 AN fitting are now in the fuel rail, so I'll feed each side with its own pump the last 8AN goes to a Mallory rasing rate regulator adjustable from 30-100 psi.
6AN return line to the tank.
I just scored some 577cc injectors, there not in yet but they look very promising and in my typical fashion were very inexspensive.
I'd like to find some 650cc and be the first 55 on E85!!

For those that want to know, the stock injectors look to be stamped 386 and another stamp says 60. From what I'm told is that there high impedance 386cc & 60 psi. the math works out at our 80 psi setup. Still just guess though
Two 044 pumps??? How much power are you trying to make? lol
Old 06-11-2010, 11:58 AM

2003 E55 AMG
You will need it for E85 as it requires ~25% more fuel then normal gasoline to combust.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by BenJ
You will need it for E85 as it requires ~25% more fuel then normal gasoline to combust.
A single 044 should flow more than the stock E55 pump. Two of them is alot of fuel. Not knocking it, just E85 runs cooler too so it should decrease EGT's and you can run more timing. Should be a monster!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:55 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Two 044 pumps??? How much power are you trying to make? lol
So one "should be" good for 600 whp. Depending on what dyno you look at I make anywere from 450 to 600, 2 pumps puts me well past anything the 55k can do. Hell maybe I'll take my own advise and go twin turbo!
Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
So one "should be" good for 600 whp. Depending on what dyno you look at I make anywere from 450 to 600, 2 pumps puts me well past anything the 55k can do. Hell maybe I'll take my own advise and go twin turbo!
DO EEETTTT!!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by 930chas
DO EEETTTT!!!!
+1! And max out both pumps while you're at it!!! Twin 6262's drooooool
Old 06-11-2010, 02:34 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
May need to pull the blower and line bore out the fuel rail guides, that go between blower and air tanks. I think the stock fuel rail may not be able to handle the monster flow you will need.. So larger fuel rail will also be a good upgrade. You have more pump than rail right now.. Nice work though!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 06-11-2010, 03:14 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
May need to pull the blower and line bore out the fuel rail guides, that go between blower and air tanks. I think the stock fuel rail may not be able to handle the monster flow you will need.. So larger fuel rail will also be a good upgrade. You have more pump than rail right now.. Nice work though!
The fuel rail can be removed with just taking the surge tanks off, Yesterdays (yesterdays podject) I cut the ends off the rail and had -8 an put there and a return line in the center of the rail. The rail its self is very large(over .5 inch)
Old 06-11-2010, 04:11 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
The fuel rail can be removed with just taking the surge tanks off, Yesterdays (yesterdays podject) I cut the ends off the rail and had -8 an put there and a return line in the center of the rail. The rail its self is very large(over .5 inch)
Ok, where are the pictures!!

I was talking aobut making room for some larger rails , that can handle 800 plus rwhp.. See below..

http://www.mirrorfinishpolishing.com...UEL-RAIL-4.jpg
Old 06-11-2010, 07:00 PM

Bicycle
Ask an ye shall recive, Its not all pretty up'ed yet but the idea is there. The tube being the size it is will flow well beyond 800hp, If you can feed 600hp through 6mm then going to 2 12mm inlets should do it.

the filer and regulator
Old 06-11-2010, 07:08 PM

Bicycle
Some other pics of the fuel system.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:22 PM

Bicycle
One more pic, Since it seems difficult to the exsact spec's on the stock injector lets say it 400cc at 43.5 is close if o the injectors next to it in the image should flow 499cc at 43.5. The clips wil have to be changed and the mounting tabs on the rail may have to have a very slight bend in it to move the injector down a bit but I got all 8 for 120.00 so little tweaking i can live with. The clips are on a car the as been poduced into the millions so locating them should no be hard.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:45 AM

2006 Mercedes E55
man.... when your all done I want to see you destroy some lambo snobs at RTC Exotics
Old 06-12-2010, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Bellevue_E55
man.... when your all done I want to see you destroy some lambo snobs at RTC Exotics
Your PNW boy will be at the top very soon. He has the drive and skills to easily become one of the fastest MB's out there. All though there is some other guy on the east coast that's going to be laying down some pretty nasty numbers!!! Who could that by - cough, cough, BB!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Big HP fuel problems (pic) Solutions?