Today is a good day!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I could sit here and throw fact after fact out and you still wouldn't understand so I'm going to leave it alone.
Please educate me, I'm NOT telling you what to do w/your car, just relaying few facts since this type of thread has been brought up for ump-teenth time & either you or Chrio-behawtch tell me I'm lost

But... I'm here to learn as well as share my modding experiences, (you obviously have an abundance of knowledge in both arenas so please explain it to me)
Old 06-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Thericker
Please educate me, I'm NOT telling you what to do w/your car, just relaying few facts since this type of thread has been brought up for ump-teenth time & either you or Chrio-behawtch tell me I'm lost

But... I'm here to learn as well as share my modding experiences, (you obviously have an abundance of knowledge in both arenas so please explain it to me)
Since there isn't alot of info for our cars specifically we have to look at general data (physics still applies to our cars in the same way). I think you will agree with me that colder IAT's will increase power. Increased volume also increases power so it's like a balancing act. But if you can increase volume and decrease temps, you're in business! Sure you can do one or the other and still increase power. In terms of open filters in the engine bay, you are sucking in hot air. Ever go out for a long drive in hot weather and pop the hood? It is crazy hot under the hood, now imagine sucking that air in compared to ambient air. When you are running 1/4 mile runs you won't see the effect as much since you let the car cool. Try sitting in traffic for a bit and then do a pull and log IAT's. If people run open filter type stuff under the hood they funnel cold air to it and usually have a heat shield to try to keep engine bay heat away from it. I know you have your filters behind the openning in the front of the car but the air going into the filter isn't as "cold" as ambient. So you have a tradeoff, maybe the volume increase is large enough to counter the higher IAT's, that is something only testing will tell you. Dyno's aren't a good indicator because the hood is open and the car isn't moving. The other downside I've noticed from personal experience is that aluminum gets very hot very quickly, moreso than the plastic boxes/tubes MB uses. Then again it gets cold very quickly too. I am looking into getting my pipes/box coated with some kind of heat repellant. I feel like I'm starting to write a book so I will stop there

Last edited by blackbenzz; 06-21-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Since there isn't alot of info for our cars specifically we have to look at general data (physics still applies to our cars in the same way). I think you will agree with me that colder IAT's will increase power. Increased volume also increases power so it's like a balancing act. But if you can increase volume and decrease temps, you're in business! Sure you can do one or the other and still increase power. In terms of open filters in the engine bay, you are sucking in hot air. Ever go out for a long drive in hot weather and pop the hood? It is crazy hot under the hood, now imagine sucking that air in compared to ambient air. When you are running 1/4 mile runs you won't see the effect as much since you let the car cool. Try sitting in traffic for a bit and then do a pull and log IAT's. If people run open filter type stuff under the hood they funnel cold air to it and usually have a heat shield to try to keep engine bay heat away from it. I know you have your filters behind the openning in the front of the car but the air going into the filter isn't as "cold" as ambient. So you have a tradeoff, maybe the volume increase is large enough to counter the higher IAT's, that is something only testing will tell you. Dyno's aren't a good indicator because the hood is open and the car isn't moving. The other downside I've noticed from personal experience is that aluminum gets very hot very quickly, moreso than the plastic boxes/tubes MB uses. Then again it gets cold very quickly too. I am looking into getting my pipes/box coated with some kind of heat repellant. I feel like I'm starting to write a book so I will stop there
Noo this is great info! Not a boring monologue. I believe we're on the same page as I opted to use silicone piping + salvage as much of oem plastic boxes as possible. Next step is already in works hood is loooong over due for a trip to Dr @ bodyshop (I have set of custom flat CAI slit type openings that'll be grafted to the hood prof... No rising ugly ricer scoops, think old school muscle openings it'll have dual openings that look like they were born their) Thank you for elaborating
Old 06-21-2010, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Alright, I can't hold it in anymore!! Went to the dyno today. The overall gain is 18% of the baseline run. The baseline run was in 75 degree temperature, today run was done in 97+ degree. The intake and 82 mm tb worth 37whp!!