W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximum rwhp & rwtq on the stock drive train?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brabus K8 E55 05
Question Maximum rwhp & rwtq on the stock drive train?

Right now I have 533 rwhp & around 641 rwtq on my car without tune, so I am expecting something after the tune. I would like to know what is the maximum rwhp & rwtq that can be run on the stock drive train?

If I want to over take that maximum value, what kind of mods should I go with in case decided to pass those maximum values?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes E55
you mean without a custom tune? You signature reads you have a tune ?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
it depends on what you're using it for. i blew an axle and a diff with well under 500rwhp at the drag strip...something that would have never happened on a highway run.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:05 AM

Brabus K8 E55 05
Originally Posted by Bellevue_E55
you mean without a custom tune? You signature reads you have a tune ?
Corrected the signature ..

The tune that I had was done when I had only Brabus K8 package (pulley + ECU came original with the car from dealer done by Brabus) + Kleemann headers, I then added TB 82mm + HE + IC pump + S/C Spacers and until now the car without a tune.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Drivetrain wise... Thats a tricky question. There are a bunch of high powered 55's out there running stock drivetrains.. Here is where it gets tricky, That kind of power will stress the driveline and over time the trans might start slipping. Or like Mikey said, you might snap an axle. Its hard to say. If you race these things will happen at some point(maybe??) If you dont race they wont (maybe???)

With the more power you add, the more you have to pay attention to the driveline. It can take a lot, but its not indestructible
Old 06-28-2010, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cornfed gtr and m3
Originally Posted by EcoScope
Right now I have 533 rwhp & around 641 rwtq on my car without tune, so I am expecting something after the tune. I would like to know what is the maximum rwhp & rwtq that can be run on the stock drive train?

If I want to over take that maximum value, what kind of mods should I go with in case decided to pass those maximum values?
So after you put on the TB, you flashed the ecu back to stock? And like others have said, the most stress your drivetrain will see is basically at the track on sticky tires. If you do mostly runs from a roll, there isn't the same amount of stress. How do you plan on running the car?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:43 AM

Brabus K8 E55 05
Originally Posted by 930chas
So after you put on the TB, you flashed the ecu back to stock? And like others have said, the most stress your drivetrain will see is basically at the track on sticky tires. If you do mostly runs from a roll, there isn't the same amount of stress. How do you plan on running the car?
I did not reflash my ecu, but when I dynoed the car after the TB the AFR is high, I will see the dyno graph and attach it here but it does not have the AFR curve

Most of the races we do is from a roll but sometimes we go from Zero.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:59 AM

Brabus K8 E55 05
Here is the DYNO graph

Old 06-28-2010, 04:16 PM

w211 e55
very respectable power ,mashallah.

i was wondering,with that kind of power,which cars are you in the same league with?and does the power stay for the whole run especially at higher speed ,or does the s/c shut off and cars start gaining on you?

i really wanna start adding pulley+tune but i don't want the car to just be slightly better than stock.How many car lengths do you reckon you would give a stock e55 up to 250km/h?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
+1 wth everyone above.

I think we are all fine with stock drivetrain even highly modded, but you have to have the mindset that you are greatly reducing their lifespan.

Already on my 2nd tranny. It's the just the way it is with this much Torque on a 2 ton car.

Look at ole Alan (Bassn_07). Coming up on 2 dozen 10 sec passes and still running strong.

Can you imagine the stress that drivetrain is under to run 10.8s. WOW!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I know the stock differential usually starts giving up after installing the 180 mm pulley and with heavy usage. From October to February of last year, I have seen 4 different E55s upgrade to the 180 mm pulley and lose their stock differential. Quaife handles the power quite well though.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 AM

Brabus K8 E55 05
Originally Posted by Teefer
very respectable power ,mashallah.

i was wondering,with that kind of power,which cars are you in the same league with?and does the power stay for the whole run especially at higher speed ,or does the s/c shut off and cars start gaining on you?

i really wanna start adding pulley+tune but i don't want the car to just be slightly better than stock.How many car lengths do you reckon you would give a stock e55 up to 250km/h?
The best cars I have raced until now was C63 with Stage 2 but still beat it, and Jeep SRT8 with S/C, I have raced 2 of them inside abu dhabi and beat them both although was close race, one of them claiming his car is 700 HP (not wheel for sure), I have not seen a S/C shut off till now.

Pulley + tune only will not be enough, you have to collect the parts and add them together (you may need to add around 5000 $ more and get TB + headers + S/C Spacers + HE + IC pump )

I have not raced stock car since I put my mods and I don't intend because I consider it as waste of fuel, time, expose me to risk with the secret police that is everywhere inside abu dhabi nowadays, unless a lady is driving the car , then that would be different story
Old 06-29-2010, 12:32 PM

2003 E55 AMG Carlsson Front Spoiler & Diffuser, 175 ASP Pulley, K&Ns, Resonator delete, 19" SL-65s
Hi Ecoscope, think you might have mentioned it on another thread, but did you get all your mods carried out by ALSA in AD?

Take your point about collecting all the parts and then going for it in one hit, my immediate hit list is LTs, HE, IC pump and then maybe the TB

Does ALSA charge crazy prices to fit all the mods, what's your experience been?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
Has anyone heard of anybody trying a carbon fiber driveshaft on one of our cars??
Old 06-29-2010, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by bobgodd
Has anyone heard of anybody trying a carbon fiber driveshaft on one of our cars??
You may want to talk to forum member jrcart, as he has looked into making a custom carbon fiber drive shaft for his CLK63 black series but ended up scrapping the project. I would think that it wouldn't be too good of an idea given the insane amount of torque put down by 55k cars
Old 06-29-2010, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
S65 tranny??
Old 06-30-2010, 05:54 AM

Brabus K8 E55 05
Originally Posted by desertland
Hi Ecoscope, think you might have mentioned it on another thread, but did you get all your mods carried out by ALSA in AD?

Take your point about collecting all the parts and then going for it in one hit, my immediate hit list is LTs, HE, IC pump and then maybe the TB

Does ALSA charge crazy prices to fit all the mods, what's your experience been?
Prices are expensive a little bit, but work is great and professional and tech working on your car really know what they have. Germans and couple of asian assistances work on the cars over there.

They build turbos for different cars and it is the right place for installing your mods and in case you needed to customize something or some part, they are the right people.

About the price, you can negotiator with them and trust me, I would pay extra 500 - 1500 AED on the normal pricing knowing that the car is ok rather than handing my car to somebody who has little experience on cars like those specially inside UAE.

Do you have Pulley upgraded already? Because if you don't, that would be the first mod you do in my opinion, then you move to whatever you want and as I advised you, to save money and time, put all things together at once and tune it on the dyno in the same time.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 AM

Brabus K8 E55 05
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
S65 tranny??
Expensive option
Old 06-30-2010, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
You may want to talk to forum member jrcart, as he has looked into making a custom carbon fiber drive shaft for his CLK63 black series but ended up scrapping the project. I would think that it wouldn't be too good of an idea given the insane amount of torque put down by 55k cars
Yeah I remember him; didn't know he was going that direction though. I know this article isn't finite or the end-all in information, but I have always heard that CF shafts are great for high power applications and this reinforces that:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...intenance.html

The first paragraph in particular
Old 07-01-2010, 03:16 PM

2003 E55 AMG Carlsson Front Spoiler & Diffuser, 175 ASP Pulley, K&Ns, Resonator delete, 19" SL-65s
Originally Posted by EcoScope
Prices are expensive a little bit, but work is great and professional and tech working on your car really know what they have. Germans and couple of asian assistances work on the cars over there.

They build turbos for different cars and it is the right place for installing your mods and in case you needed to customize something or some part, they are the right people.

About the price, you can negotiator with them and trust me, I would pay extra 500 - 1500 AED on the normal pricing knowing that the car is ok rather than handing my car to somebody who has little experience on cars like those specially inside UAE.

Do you have Pulley upgraded already? Because if you don't, that would be the first mod you do in my opinion, then you move to whatever you want and as I advised you, to save money and time, put all things together at once and tune it on the dyno in the same time.
Thanks for the feedback, reasurring to know that there are qualified, competent mechanics here in the UAE who know what these cars are all about. For future mods I'll be heading down to ALSA.

I've got a 176mm pulley upgrade, K&N filters and resonators have been deleted. My hit list was going to be cooling (HE & IC pump) followed by LT headers and then possibly the TB and then to round all off, a custom tune. Read in an older thread that yourself and Ali had a custom tune by Jeremy some time back, what's the likelihood of Jeremy being back in town some time in the future??

Nice to know there is some excellent local support & knowledge in this part of the world
Old 07-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Brabus K8 E55 05
Thanks for the feedback, reasurring to know that there are qualified, competent mechanics here in the UAE who know what these cars are all about. For future mods I'll be heading down to ALSA.

I've got a 176mm pulley upgrade, K&N filters and resonators have been deleted. My hit list was going to be cooling (HE & IC pump) followed by LT headers and then possibly the TB and then to round all off, a custom tune. Read in an older thread that yourself and Ali had a custom tune by Jeremy some time back, what's the likelihood of Jeremy being back in town some time in the future??

Nice to know there is some excellent local support & knowledge in this part of the world
Regarding the custom tune , I have no idea when they are coming back to UAE "fluid motor union", but they are based in Qatar if you decide to drive for about 5 hours .

I am waiting since couple of months for them, but I will go with ALSA tune "pp performance" , it is also good one as I said, I saw it on C63 and it was great tune, I suppose they can make good one for the 55 too.

As for pump, get meziere pump, I don't know if it is available in UAE or not, but I know that this pump is used in other cars too "Mustang", so maybe it is avaialble, i am trying to get it from outside because my time is little and I am outside UAE now, by the time I go there, I will install directly.

Where did you get your pulley from? did you get tune when installed it or you bought the car with it? Where did you buy the car from?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:19 PM

I got in contact with Fluid Motor Union, agree I'm not sure when they will be in town next, if I hear anything I'll let you know. Regarding the pump, I was thinking Meziere as well, I just got to find the time and order all the parts, hopefully it won't be that long before I start shopping

Bought the car from your good friend in AD, its the silver one with the 19" AMG Titanium alloys Carlson carbon front lip and rear spoiler, I am sure you would have seen it. Anyway its now with me here in Dubai

Car came with the 176mm pulley and K&N filters and had a tune done a little while back ...
Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Brabus K8 E55 05
I got in contact with Fluid Motor Union, agree I'm not sure when they will be in town next, if I hear anything I'll let you know. Regarding the pump, I was thinking Meziere as well, I just got to find the time and order all the parts, hopefully it won't be that long before I start shopping

Bought the car from your good friend in AD, its the silver one with the 19" AMG Titanium alloys Carlson carbon front lip and rear spoiler, I am sure you would have seen it. Anyway its now with me here in Dubai

Car came with the 176mm pulley and K&N filters and had a tune done a little while back ...
I know the car, I have seen the owner once, Congrats for the car, it is super clean car and nice one too ... lucky you , enjoy your ride, if you needed anything in the coming days, you may contact me, it looks like i am leaving UAE back to home because I get transfer with my Company, I am planning to take the car with me there, back to the KSA, unless a new career show up to me in the horizon of UAE
Old 07-01-2010, 04:37 PM

Sorry to hear you're leaving UAE, hope something comes up for you before that...

Thanks for the compliments, the car is very clean and my friends at work can't believe the conditon, neither can I

Here's hoping you still hang around in UAE for a little while longer, funny really because I'm supposed to have an interview for a job in KSA some time next week !!!