Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Airmatic Warning - Opinions Welcome

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Just checked with star, system has about 6.5 bar when engine off and see no sign of pressure drop. I got about 10 bar instead of the required 14 after the 40 sec test, I have just changed both new front suspensions and about 3 months ago for both of the rear.

I used to see the malfunction after a few mins of starting the car, and once I restart the car the malfunction will not be shown again during the whole drip. I think it is becus the system is not getting enough pressure at the first start, at the second time the system has more pressure then the first time so it could reach to 14 bar within the required time thus no malfunction shown, does it make sense? And so very possible that the pump is going south without leaking? Any idea?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Silver E55
maybe a bad pump if it cannot generate enough pressure quick enough. I think leaks are easier to find since they drop over time. bad pumps have alot of symptoms.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by edmond1129
Just checked with star, system has about 6.5 bar when engine off and see no sign of pressure drop. I got about 10 bar instead of the required 14 after the 40 sec test, I have just changed both new front suspensions and about 3 months ago for both of the rear.

I used to see the malfunction after a few mins of starting the car, and once I restart the car the malfunction will not be shown again during the whole drip. I think it is becus the system is not getting enough pressure at the first start, at the second time the system has more pressure then the first time so it could reach to 14 bar within the required time thus no malfunction shown, does it make sense? And so very possible that the pump is going south without leaking? Any idea?

That's pretty much what mine was doing. It would go up to 10 bar or whatever it was fairly quickly and then just sit there while the pump ran because the leak was bleeding off pressure too fast. If the pressure is coming up very slowly it could be the pump, but I would bet on a leak at one of the fittings. That junction block above the rear axle(and the one in the inner fenderwell in front of the driver side tire) would be a good place to start looking. If you want a good cheap pump I still have the one that I ordered when I was having issues that I'll sell for $100. As far as I know, once the warning has come on for each trip, it will not come on again no matter how long you drive.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:02 AM

E55
Haven't seen the malfunction message for a while, but went to check with STAR again and it say found leak in the system. How can I know where in the system is leaking? Or which part of the system is easiest to have leak? Thanks
Old 08-19-2011, 02:00 PM

2005 E55
Had code 5503 and a new code 5508 that popped up that made us check the line from the compressor to the front driver side valve... We did a compressor check and it would not go pass 10 bar... During the test heard a hissing sound and located driver side line to have a nick in it. It was actually rubbing on metal causing it to tear. Replacing line as we speak and will update later today with a couple of pics of the culprit.

Last edited by bighman; 08-19-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:37 AM

E55
Originally Posted by bighman
Had code 5503 and a new code 5508 that popped up that made us check the line from the compressor to the front driver side valve... We did a compressor check and it would not go pass 10 bar... During the test heard a hissing sound and located driver side line to have a nick in it. It was actually rubbing on metal causing it to tear. Replacing line as we speak and will update later today with a couple of pics of the culprit.
I got the same codes as you, so do you still have the code after replacing the line?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:21 PM

E55
Sorry to bring this up again, so is there any news about the codes? How to fix that?

I was on the way home and the "Visit workshop" message popup again and I found the front left is slammed but still drivable, so I managed to drive it home and try to rise it and it didn't work. Also, I always feel the car is not level and the message popping up one to two times a week, I have all four suspensions changed not long ago, will that be the valve unit at the link below that is leaking? It is just so annoying...

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Merce.../4032/52373222
Old 10-16-2011, 03:07 AM

E55
Changed the valve unit and the pump Thursday, I havent seen the message pop-up since then...
Old 04-04-2012, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
bumping this up...

is this the sensor you guys are talking about

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...nsor+2004+2005
Old 09-30-2012, 05:39 AM

E55
Just a year after the pump and all 4 corners with new struts, the warning message came up again. Nightmare begins again with no reason.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:51 PM

03 E55, HB Torana
Did this issue get solved?
Old 06-24-2014, 05:57 AM

mercedes benz S350 2010
Hi Guys..
I am a new member here and i have been reading your great comments.

I have a 2010 S350 with air suspension and i have problems with my rear suspensions where they fill up and rise but within 2 minutes they go all the way down..lower than normal and initial review doesnt show any leakages.

I doubt if it is air suspensions that need replacing though because i doubt both rear ones could get messed up at once. Any ideas what to do guys?
Old 07-04-2014, 05:52 PM

2004 E55 AMG
2004 E55 Suspension at a loss

Hello All. After reading hundreds upon hundreds of threads and posts, I am still at a loss with my suspension. Maybe you guys can shed some light or have experienced the same problem and know what I can do. A week ago I started experiencing the dreaded "Car too low". After a few miles it would raise back to normal. This past Monday, while fueling up and ten minutes from having to pick up a client, I heard a violent air hissing discharge and the front end hit the ground. In a suit, at already 90 degrees, I checked the 40 amp fuse, the relay, etc. Nothing. Client calls and I proceed to drive to Love Field Airport to pick up my client in my new low rider cholo mobile! You should have seen his face when I pulled up. I should have been blasting some Pit-Bull! LOL! While we were driving, the car became worse and as I turned right, tire hit and damaged my fender well. Great start to a Monday. When we arrived to my house, the driver's side came back up, however the passenger side remain slammed. Rented a car, drove back to Houston with my client and did tons of research on this subject, and also spoke to an Arnott Technician. Upon arriving back to Dallas and opening the garage I felt like I was looking at uncle crooked's carnival house. The car was only dropped on both front and rear passenger side. Jacked it up, unplugged the battery, released the pressure on the strut via hose connector, checked for leaks, and could not find a thing. Initially after talking to the tech, I was just going to go ahead and order a new Arnott Strut, but now that I got home, I am at a total loss. Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
Rpkxnoscope (11-01-2019)
Old 07-04-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by fcdallas
Hello All. After reading hundreds upon hundreds of threads and posts, I am still at a loss with my suspension. Maybe you guys can shed some light or have experienced the same problem and know what I can do. A week ago I started experiencing the dreaded "Car too low". After a few miles it would raise back to normal. This past Monday, while fueling up and ten minutes from having to pick up a client, I heard a violent air hissing discharge and the front end hit the ground. In a suit, at already 90 degrees, I checked the 40 amp fuse, the relay, etc. Nothing. Client calls and I proceed to drive to Love Field Airport to pick up my client in my new low rider cholo mobile! You should have seen his face when I pulled up. I should have been blasting some Pit-Bull! LOL! While we were driving, the car became worse and as I turned right, tire hit and damaged my fender well. Great start to a Monday. When we arrived to my house, the driver's side came back up, however the passenger side remain slammed. Rented a car, drove back to Houston with my client and did tons of research on this subject, and also spoke to an Arnott Technician. Upon arriving back to Dallas and opening the garage I felt like I was looking at uncle crooked's carnival house. The car was only dropped on both front and rear passenger side. Jacked it up, unplugged the battery, released the pressure on the strut via hose connector, checked for leaks, and could not find a thing. Initially after talking to the tech, I was just going to go ahead and order a new Arnott Strut, but now that I got home, I am at a total loss. Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated!
Replace the strut. Simple.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:10 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by knowbenz
Replace the strut. Simple.
Thank You. Would that affect the rear passenger side as well?
Old 08-02-2014, 06:02 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Out 1K and no solution

Hey guys. My frustration is at an all time high. As per Knowbenz's suggestion, I changed the front right OEM to a Airnott AS2300. That resolved the right dip problem, however the old compressor and coil went out and I also replaced with a new Arnott. Now the front end is normal ride height, however the rear wont raise. I have disconnected the battery several times and the compressor kicks in for a few seconds and then it stops again. I drove it around the block a few times and nothing. Still wont raise. Could there be a valve blockage somewhere? I'm done with this this thing. I've been renting a car for the past three weeks and I cannot afford it any longer. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I have had several incidents of suspension problems over the past 9 plus years. All under warranty, I might add. The park Place in Grapevine replaced air bags in the rear 3 times. Last one was about 3 years ago. It has been fine since, so once you fix it, it should stay fixed. It's possible you have a bad air bag in the rear, if yours is the same set up as the 2005. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:36 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Can Drive 55

Thank You Can Drive 55. I appreciate your comment. Unfortunately my 04 did not have these issues while under warranty. This is driving me crazy. Car finally raised, tested several times, drove to Houston and everything was fine. This morning on my way to work I got the dreaded "Stop Vehicle too low" message. I'm going to have to give in and take it to the shop. I have tried everything, tested for leaks, replaced the air compressor, the coil, the right front AS2300 Arnott strut, bled the lines from the master air tank in the rear..... Uuuuuuggggfffff! After a fistful of bloody knuckles I'm still going to have to shell out some more money! I LOVED my car until now.... I feel like were not in great relationship anymore!
Old 09-12-2014, 03:13 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Smile E55 Edmond

I finally sold my 2004 E55 after all this nightmare. The last thing I did after replacing the right front strut and the airmatic compressor, and the car still would not rise or hold pressure and stay level, is I went to the tank in passenger side in the trunk, and released some air from there. This seemed to almost act like a purge. After a few seconds, I re-secured the line and the pump immediately kicked on and rose the car evenly and it leveled out. I drove it for a few weeks without message or lowering problems on any side.

You might want to try that.

Good luck, and let me know if this works.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:33 PM

2000 S 500
Airmatic Strut will not deflate

Originally Posted by izzyz28
So which snsor is it that went out on you guys that have experienced the problem? There's no way in hell i'm taking the car into the dealer so I can get raped big time for a sensor, so one way or another I'm going to figure this one out and fix it.
did anyone find out which sensor it was that prevented the air from coming out of the strut?