Sponsored by:

Higher mileage E55 purchase advice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Thunderbird
Higher mileage E55 purchase advice.

Hello everyone. This will be my first post although been lurking here for a while.

After so many years of drooling W211 E55 finally decided to pull the trigger of W211 E55 ownership but I do have some question.

Well, finally able to convinced the wife to let me make the E55 on the option list on top of the Nissan Maxima, Acura TL or the Newer Camry which all hovering in the $20k mark. The catch for me is, the E55 have to stay under $24k out the door price and I'm well aware of the downfall of 2003 model so I am only looking for 2004-2006 model.

This leave me with not much option as what is on the market and the only feasible way for me to get it is 2004 or 2005 model with higher mileage. No other AMG car will be considered because W211 E55 is the only Mercedes car that fit's our criteria in terms or size and space etc.

Let's make a scenario on an example like 2004 E55 with 90k miles on the odometer. The car will not come with warranty and have clean carfax record. From research I can tell that blown engine or burnt up transmmission is extremely rare and usually the problem area in these E55 is the suspension shocks and intercooler pump. I am pretty good DIY'er in terms of fixing my own car so I can tackle that by my self instead of dealership fixed.

Just wondering what else is major big ticket items problematic parts in these car with high mileage? Seeing it's supercharge I was wondering reliability of it if it can be driven till 150k or even 200k with good maintenance? If I have to go to check out a 90k mile E55 what should I look for? I don't mind some small cheaper fix down the road of ownership because wear and tear fixed is part of vehicle ownership.

So to cut it short I would love to hear some first hand advice from fellow E55 owner and I appreciate the time to read this and appreciate any useful and constructive advice.

Thank you.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:30 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
PM sent...
Old 07-15-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
McLaren 12C Spider | Lamborghini Superleggera | Porsche 997.2 TT | Cayenne TT | AMG GTS
Not attempting to burst your bubble but you need to know what your in for. If you are on a budget these cars are not for you, unless you have a rock solid warranty that will cover you during the duration of ownership. It's pretty obvious the prices on E55 look like a steal and they are a whole lot of car for the money. You just need to have the financial backing to own one. If you do get a car with a warranty you need to do your research on the warranty company. Not all warranty companies are the same. Many will not cover everything that fails and some just disappear. At 90K most cars will be out of warranty or have another 10K left or months left on the warranty. If you can find a car with a Chrysler Service Contract warranty they had a great program with unlimited miles and lengthy contracts. They no longer write these warranty contracts as of a few months ago. This was for a good reason, the cost of the warranty is exhausted in one visit to the dealer.

You need to keep in mind maintenance and repair costs. For example the Super Charger fails or starts to chirp, potentially leading to failure you are in big bucks territory. There are some DIY repairs you can do but many of the repairs require "STAR" diagnostics. You will be forced to use the dealer or a repair facility that has the computer. So back to the SC I think the replacement of the SC is about $9K not including labor. The clutch pack and flange $3500 parts alone are $2200 and require a special oven to heat the flange. This is a very common repair and will eventually come up. Transmission $15K, Strut goes out $2K and so on. As attractive as the pricing might look you would be doing your family a disservice if you bought a car with high miles and no warranty. Unless you put $10K away in the just incase fund or you can afford the unexpected which should be expected.

Again not trying to be harsh it's just a reality you need to consider before jumping on a high mile E55 or any E55 for that matter without a warranty.

Last edited by SANDOVAL; 07-15-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
FWIW, I have been seeing around the boards that 2003's are hit and miss. (hopefully mine is hit) But I would think that if you find a 2003 with high mileage, It must be one of the good ones. Just a thought. I took my chances with an '03 and so far, so good. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 51 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
I echo the individual who said that you may want to re-think your choices if you are on a tight budget. While you may be handy, as the other person said, there are some potentially big money parts costs involved, and specialized computer diagnostic tools that you probably will not have access to. As much as it sucks, the E55 might not be for you, unless you have a few thousand dollars packed away for 'rainy day car repairs' or for a warranty....or both. Nothing ruins the fun more than if you stretch to get into the car, and then cannot afford to maintain it properly. Sadly, many of the low buck E55s are being sold by people that got into that exact situation, and are looking to push the car (and repairs) off onto someone else.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Merc E55 AMG, BMW 328i
Having just picked up and 05 E55 AMG not that long ago the purchase price is only going to be only part of the equation.

You might get lucky and not have to do anything, but I would suggest that you have 10K or so kicking around at all times in case you need something done. With an older car it doesn't take long to rack up the bills.

Unless you have skills working on these cars even a simple thing like changing plugs you are looking at $800+ at the dealer (16 plugs).

It would really be a terrible thing if you bought the car only to realize that you can't drive it due to the fact it needs some work that exceeds your budget. And selling a car that is not working 100% is usually a hard thing to do.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
If your budget is tight, then no E55 fits in it, trust me.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by SANDOVAL
Not attempting to burst your bubble but you need to know what your in for. If you are on a budget these cars are not for you, unless you have a rock solid warranty that will cover you during the duration of ownership. It's pretty obvious the prices on E55 look like a steal and they are a whole lot of car for the money. You just need to have the financial backing to own one. If you do get a car with a warranty you need to do your research on the warranty company. Not all warranty companies are the same. Many will not cover everything that fails and some just disappear. At 90K most cars will be out of warranty or have another 10K left or months left on the warranty. If you can find a car with a Chrysler Service Contract warranty they had a great program with unlimited miles and lengthy contracts. They no longer write these warranty contracts as of a few months ago. This was for a good reason, the cost of the warranty is exhausted in one visit to the dealer.

You need to keep in mind maintenance and repair costs. For example the Super Charger fails or starts to chirp, potentially leading to failure you are in big bucks territory. There are some DIY repairs you can do but many of the repairs require "STAR" diagnostics. You will be forced to use the dealer or a repair facility that has the computer. So back to the SC I think the replacement of the SC is about $9K not including labor. The clutch pack and flange $3500 parts alone are $2200 and require a special oven to heat the flange. This is a very common repair and will eventually come up. Transmission $15K, Strut goes out $2K and so on. As attractive as the pricing might look you would be doing your family a disservice if you bought a car with high miles and no warranty. Unless you put $10K away in the just incase fund or you can afford the unexpected which should be expected.

Again not trying to be harsh it's just a reality you need to consider before jumping on a high mile E55 or any E55 for that matter without a warranty.
My '05 had the chirp for about 6 weeks.... that's right had. No repairs or change in driving habits occurred. What gives?

To the thread starter, I have an '05 with 86k milles, PM me if interested.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:11 PM

McLaren 12C Spider | Lamborghini Superleggera | Porsche 997.2 TT | Cayenne TT | AMG GTS
I can't predict what happened to your car or if the sound you heard was even the SC clutch. It could have been the tensioner, or loose belt, hot summer days, hard to diagnose in a forum. There are way to many variables to make a statement to say you had it, it was gone what gives? It's a well known fact these cars have a problem with the clutch pack that starts with a chirp when you punch the gas. Many have experienced complete bearing failure as a result of the nagging chirp. It's so well known new parts were re-designed and there is a service bulletin MB dealers use to diagnose and fix the problem. Saying you had it and it disappeared in 6 weeks. Is like saying the doctor said you need a new kidney but you now feel fine. So that kidney problem must have went away. My bet if it was the SC making a chirp it will eventually rear it's ugly head again. Sorry.

Last edited by SANDOVAL; 07-15-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:22 PM

I can't predict what happened to your car or if the sound you heard was even the SC clutch. It could have been the tensioner, or loose belt, hot summer days, hard to diagnose in a forum. There are way to many variables to make a statement to say you had it, it was gone what gives? It's a well known fact these cars have a problem with the clutch pack that starts with a chirp when you punch the gas. Many have experienced complete bearing failure as a result of the nagging chirp. It's so well known new parts were re-designed and there is a service bulletin MB dealers use to diagnose and fix the problem. Saying you had it and it disappeared in 6 weeks. Is like saying the doctor said you need a new kidney but you now feel fine. So that kidney problem must have went away. My bet if it was the SC making a chirp it will eventually rear it's ugly head again. Sorry.
I can assure you the infamous chirp related to punching the gas is what I had. Why and how it dissappeared is a mystery, but I guess I can say I'm lucky.

The chirp didn't really take away from performance, just a slight/faint hesitation. I can honestly say the chirp is gone and NOTHING was comprised. It's been months since it went away...... again, good luck I guess.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Originally Posted by Fast55
If your budget is tight, then no E55 fits in it, trust me.
+1

Don't do it dude.

At one time, this was a ~$100,000 automobile. It may cost $23K now but it still services and costs the same to maintain as any $100K vehicle.

If this is your budget, forget it. Buy something you can afford...not only initially, but over the long run. You & your wife will be much happier.

I would NEVER EVER own an AMG w/out a warranty, ESPECIALLY a supercharged version. You won't get 200k miles out of it problem free. The repair costs will eat you alive and there's no such thing as a "small, cheaper fix down the road" as regular maintenance.

Last edited by VCA_AMG; 07-15-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
In the first year and a half my car has cost the extended warranty co. about $6000 all told and it's cost me probably $6000 in fairly modest upgardes like wheels, pulley, tune, HE etc. So as the others have said the purcashe price is one thing, cost of ownership is the other. Remember these cars were $90,000 plus new so treat it that way and expect to pay to play.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MoeMZA
My '05 had the chirp for about 6 weeks.... that's right had. No repairs or change in driving habits occurred. What gives?

To the thread starter, I have an '05 with 86k milles, PM me if interested.
My '04 has had the SC chirp since the day I got it. The sound has not changed one bit in the 15 months and TWENTY-NINE THOUSAND miles I've been driving it. I don't think the sound necessarily points to a mechanical problem or impending failure, but it is annoying.

There are common items that seem to fail on these cars. Some people experience a couple of them, and some people experience all of them. Some cars have tons of issues at 20,000 miles, and others have 100k+ on them with next to no issues. It's not all doom and gloom, but there is always that chance you could have a MAJOR issue(like the unlikely scenario of the SC coming apart or transmission crapping out).

If you are used to a set of rear tires lasting 40,000 miles you will be very disappointed with an E55. My last set of rear tires lasted 5,000 miles with plenty of spirited(but not tire-spinning) acceleration.

Last edited by izzyz28; 07-15-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by izzyz28
If you are used to a set of rear tires lasting 40,000 miles you will be very disappointed with an E55. My last set of rear tires lasted 5,000 miles with plenty of spirited(but not tire-spinning) acceleration.
Great point.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
I bought my car with 22k miles and got the warranty the same week. Three weeks later I was in at Mercedes with a $2600 bill, so you will definitely be screwed if something unexpected happens.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Great point.
+1 I love new rear meats!

OP- if you didn't have a wifey I'd say go for it. But there is no sense in putting yourself in a potential situation to not get laid
Old 07-15-2010, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Another amazing option is the W210 E55 1999-2002. Great cars, good looking, rock solid, plenty fast (0-60mp/h in 4.9seconds), super reliable and all for $13-5K for a car with 80K miles. Heck you even have enough money left over for a set of Kleeman headers and a tune to take it to 375hp!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by tgoss
+1 I love new rear meats!

OP- if you didn't have a wifey I'd say go for it. But there is no sense in putting yourself in a potential situation to not get laid
too late, he's already married

how do you get an easy chick to stop screwing? marry her...
Old 07-15-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
I'm going to chime in here, because I think I have some experience with this:

I have a 2001 S55 AMG with 140k miles on the clock. It's long out of warranty, and even though this is the naturally aspirated engine, little things still pop up that you may also see in the E55. I would not recommend owning these without a good warranty, stuff like the suspension, various electronics, and things of that nature will eventually die out and you will be spending a good amount of money to keep the car running.

It's a blast to own and drive - as is any AMG, and the E55 is even faster than my S55. But there is no budget AMG, especially E or S classes which have more advanced technology. Something like a C55 would be a bit more reliable because there's less to go wrong, but definitely get a warranty.

Hey, there is no problem with a high mileage car - my car has 140k, and runs perfectly (I drive it spiritedly often) and looks great - but it comes at a cost, especially out of warranty. So whatever you do, get a good warranty. I can't stress this enough. I wish my car was still within warranty, but it's too high mileage now so I just have to deal with it.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 PM

2007 E350,2003 bmw e39 540ia, 2002 F150
Originally Posted by Casper_Chua
Hello everyone. This will be my first post although been lurking here for a while.

After so many years of drooling W211 E55 finally decided to pull the trigger of W211 E55 ownership but I do have some question.

Well, finally able to convinced the wife to let me make the E55 on the option list on top of the Nissan Maxima, Acura TL or the Newer Camry which all hovering in the $20k mark. The catch for me is, the E55 have to stay under $24k out the door price and I'm well aware of the downfall of 2003 model so I am only looking for 2004-2006 model.

This leave me with not much option as what is on the market and the only feasible way for me to get it is 2004 or 2005 model with higher mileage. No other AMG car will be considered because W211 E55 is the only Mercedes car that fit's our criteria in terms or size and space etc.

Let's make a scenario on an example like 2004 E55 with 90k miles on the odometer. The car will not come with warranty and have clean carfax record. From research I can tell that blown engine or burnt up transmmission is extremely rare and usually the problem area in these E55 is the suspension shocks and intercooler pump. I am pretty good DIY'er in terms of fixing my own car so I can tackle that by my self instead of dealership fixed.

Just wondering what else is major big ticket items problematic parts in these car with high mileage? Seeing it's supercharge I was wondering reliability of it if it can be driven till 150k or even 200k with good maintenance? If I have to go to check out a 90k mile E55 what should I look for? I don't mind some small cheaper fix down the road of ownership because wear and tear fixed is part of vehicle ownership.

So to cut it short I would love to hear some first hand advice from fellow E55 owner and I appreciate the time to read this and appreciate any useful and constructive advice.

Thank you.
You might want to check my post "well finally left the e39 club...) I had the funds and good credit but didn't want to explain to the wife how much it was going to cost after we purchased it. Good Luck Ken
Old 07-16-2010, 12:15 AM

BMW 545i, BMW X3, 2004 Mercedes Benz E55
Let me tell you my story Casper, I bought my 2003 E55 with 76k for 21.5k excellent condition perfect car fax and nothing wrong with the car. The owners before me had the car as a lease so it lived its life since the begging as a lease. Anyway I have 80k on it right now. I have done regular maintenance like oil change, I did the transmission flush just because I wanted to. The only thing i replace was new gaskets, the front ball joint, and the front right arm, plus the rear rotors all for $1600 at the indy shop. That is all I have done. The car runs perfect at 80k with out a problem, knock on wood. But in my opinion if you can DYI the maintenance it will be great. Buy it you won't look back I did and I have not. It is more to pay then your regular chevy to keep up but if you maintain it well, it well respect you back. I also did the detail my self added some mods and wow it looks nice. Yesterday CPD wanted to race me. I am like hell no, they will probably ticket me after I beat them. BUY IT.....And thats all I have to say about that.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 AM

Merc E55 AMG, BMW 328i
You my friend are one of the lucky ones. I too think I am going to get lucky, but things can go south pretty easily and that is something that one has to prepare for. Knocking on wood is not going to help.

If there are no repairs necessary consider that a fantastic bonus.

One rear shock + labor = $1100. Thats not cheap, on your typical BMW that is 2 rears and 2 fronts struts.

As one poster mentioned, the E55 AMG is NOT the car for a person on a budget, unless you like to gamble.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:59 AM

Ford Thunderbird
Thanks a lot for all the comments and advice guys.

From what I gather from all the post it is a very bad idea to own one without warranty right?

Let's say if I look at a 60k or 70k miles 04 or 05 with no warranty, what are my option for getting a legit extended warranty? can those mileage still able to get a decent legit warranty still? I have no problem of paying some money to get it certified to get warranty etc but the reason of the first question is because from my understanding these car may not be eligible for extended warranty anymore. This is also one of the reason why I write out a worst case scenario for 90k miles car that have no chance of getting a warranty.

A little of my background of what I've been dealing with vehicle. Owning multiple used Ford/lincoln etc and I am so used to constantly fixing stuff here and there. all of my car is always over the 150k miles range other than a P71 Crown victoria I'm driving right now which is at 123k miles now. Me and wife discussed that since we keep spending money fixing up junk domestic car why don't we buy something nicer that have nice A/C etc and enjoy it. Selling the Crown Victoria right now to get into something more upscale and civilized. Currently is shopping around and on the list is a 07 Nissan Maxima and Toyota Camry V6 but the E55 is on our number 1 list while the Maxima is far second.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Most people are referring to the Chrysler warranty which is not available anymore. I believe you can get a warranty from another company, but I am not sure on the mileage cutoff, and the prices are a lot higher. I think a W210 E55 would be great for your situation, but if you are set on the w211 than it will be tricky.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:15 AM

Ford Thunderbird
The problem about W210 is that me and my wife can't swallow the dated design. Also it is over 7 years old which I'm not able to get a loan qualified for it anymore. I am also setting aside initially 4-5k alone just for warranty purchase/break down fixed etc not including the car purchase price.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Higher mileage E55 purchase advice.