Sponsored by:

Need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 S550V4, P3+AMG Sport PKG
Need help

howdy all.. new to the forum and frankly new to MB. I've been a BMW guy since 1999 and please don't hold that against me

I'm now full bloom in early stage mid-life crisis and the E63 AMG bug has bit me. I found a CPO nearby; 2008 with 20,xxx miles and dealer willing to work with me to get the price around $50K ...

I'm close to pulling the trigger but I need someone to slap me with the cold hand of reality and tell me I'm not an idiot.. and that price is not way off and is a good deal ..etc, etc. I know.. the MBWorld forum is kinda like asking the fat kid in the candy store whether or not candy is bad for your teeth.. so indulge me. My wife is no help.. she's doing the mrs. thing and telling me that whatever I think is best.. and it will be my car,, bla bla bla..

so, the question to the collective.. pull the trigger? I plan on keeping it for at least 2-3 years.. so I'm not a "catch and release" kind of guy on +$50K vehicles.. some additional details: this will be a daily driver.. snow shoes and 100lb in trunk in winter... I'm not a "keeping up with the Joneses" fan, so i won't be weeping when I see an '10 or '11 roll by...

Last edited by NH_Clark; 07-28-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
howdy all.. new to the forum and frankly new to MB. I've been a BMW guy since 1999 and please don't hold that against me

I'm now full bloom in early stage mid-life crisis and the E63 AMG bug has bit me. I found a CPO nearby; 2008 with 20,xxx miles and dealer willing to work with me to get the price around $50K ...

I'm close to pulling the trigger but I need someone to slap me with the cold hand of reality and tell me I'm not an idiot.. and that price is not way off and is a good deal ..etc, etc. I know.. the MBWorld forum is kinda like asking the fat kid in the candy store whether or not candy is bad for your teeth.. so indulge me. My wife is no help.. she's doing the mrs. thing and telling me that whatever I think is best.. and it will be my car,, bla bla bla..

so, the question to the collective.. pull the trigger? I plan on keeping it for at least 2-3 years.. so I'm not a "catch and release" kind of guy on +$50K vehicles.. some additional details: this will be a daily driver.. snow shoes and 100lb in trunk in winter... I'm not a "keeping up with the Joneses" fan, so i won't be weeping when I see an '10 or '11 roll by...
Perfect car for daily, and with proper tires it can handle snow well. The power delivery is smooth, smooth , smooth. Some folks dislike the 63 for this reason . As far as price 50k sounds pretty good. lowest I have seen is 39k for an 07 with 49k miles. Remember the price will fall once the new engine is in.

As long as you are ok knowing that same 08 with 20k miles will sell for 42k in six months.

Its a helluva a all around car
Old 07-28-2010, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
You're not at all an idiot. Do what makes you happy, it's only a car. But if that car can manage to put a few smiles on your face then it sounds like a no brainer

The 63 engine is a wonderful machine, very reliable and plenty powerful. Just expensive to mod, but if you don't care much for that then no worries

What color and options are you looking at on this beast?

I've driven my E55 in the snow plenty, just get some nice beater 18's and some Blizzaks 245/45's f/r and you shouldn't have too much problem tackling most snow storms. I think my snow set up was just around $1000 from tire rack and came mounted/balanced and had new lugs.

GL with the purchase!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:31 AM

2007 e63
Originally Posted by NH_Clark

Sounds like a good deal if the price is real close to $50K. GL
Old 07-28-2010, 03:28 AM

2006 E63 AMG
Greetings from New Zealand to you all up there in the US! I'm both a forum newbie and a MB newbie.

To NH-Clark - if it makes you feel any better, on Saturday, I took the plunge and took possession of a Brilliant Silver 2007 E63 with 30k miles after spending quite a bit of time lurking on this forum and getting the MB vibe.

I've just had 2 years with an 03 Audi RS6 that was an absolute love affair as far as a driving experience was concerned, and an absolute PITA as far as an ownership experience was concerned (mind you to be fair it had almost 95k miles on the clock when I traded it).

While I can't comment on the price with the differences in our markets, I can say that already I love the E63. It doesn't have the immediate phat grunt of the biturbo'd RS6, but man that AMG63 is a smooth engine - with attitude. Although the sum total of my MB experience is now 3 days, I can say I'm a happy E63 camper!

I plan to use the car as a daily driver and don't have any plans for performance mods, so concur with tgoss on that.

Good luck with your decision. Go for it!