W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent notice. 03-06 E55's that were involved in the fuel sender recall are bombs.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
I ordered the fuel sender unit on my junk car, went to install the hoses on the fuel pump and saw that the plastic hose connection had disintegrated on that side as well. Ordered the $400 fuel pump today so now out around $1000, not including labor.

Gas was leaking so bad that it was coming through the metal access cover and had soaked the foam on my seat cushion. What a garbage design. Also the so called part with the new part number doesn't seem like it is improved much.

I knew the dealer wouldn't cover anything. When asking the stupid service advisers about this issue, they looked at me like I was crazy and there was no such problem with the cars. How convenient when you drive around to the back of the dealership they have a pile of gas tanks from W211's that have been replaced.

On a side note never do business with Higginbotham Mercedes in Jackson, MS, worst customer service ever on any occasion.

This fiasco has me ready to leave the Mercedes brand altogether after owning 30+ cars from them. Glad I have a good running E60 M5 as a backup car, makes dealing with this experience easier.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
http://www.mercedesfueltankclassacti...-Complaint.pdf
Old 08-10-2012, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55 amg
Same problem. I have had so many problems with my 05 E55. I will NEVER buy a Mercedes again.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by RunnerD
Same problem. I have had so many problems with my 05 E55. I will NEVER buy a Mercedes again.
Did you file a complaint with NHTSA?
Old 08-10-2012, 12:36 PM

one of seven
I had the problem before the recall and after 4 tries, the Stealership was able to find and fix the problem under warranty.

Fast forward to last week -

Filled up the tank, drove home and in 5 minutes, the garage smelled like a Molotov cocktail !!! No visible leaks (didn't pull the rear seat), but I have to keep the tank below 3/4.

I'm hoping since I never 'officially' dod the recall, that they will fix it (already spoke to my SA) for free !
Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Make a NHTSA complaint anyway. The "repairs" are temporary and you may run into this problem again out of warranty and be out thousands of dollars. NHTSA needs to get a scope of the problem to better correct the situation. The reports are CRITICAL to them being able to make a case against Mercedes so we can get these parts changed so they will no longer leak.

It takes 2-3 minutes and may save you thousands of dollars in future repairs. Also helps those in the community dealing with the problem now out of warranty. NHTSA needs to hear about each case.

File a complaint here.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 08-10-2012, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Check W211 they have the issue also not just under AMG. Make sure complaints link both together so there is more data. Thank the goverment for adding ethanol to our fuel. Another great decison.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
My friends 05 W211 CPO warranty is about to expire later this year. I told him to take it in for several of the common things that are issues and so far they have fixed below:

rear main seal leaking
gas smell in the rear seats where his daughter sits

waiting to see what part #s for the fuel leak that they used.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:15 PM

one of seven
Originally Posted by BBBSS
Make a NHTSA complaint anyway. The "repairs" are temporary and you may run into this problem again out of warranty and be out thousands of dollars. NHTSA needs to get a scope of the problem to better correct the situation. The reports are CRITICAL to them being able to make a case against Mercedes so we can get these parts changed so they will no longer leak.

It takes 2-3 minutes and may save you thousands of dollars in future repairs. Also helps those in the community dealing with the problem now out of warranty. NHTSA needs to hear about each case.

File a complaint here.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I'm doing that this weekend !! My SA (after ripping me off on STAR diagnosing and replacing a TMPS sensor - which I'll start a rant thread for) BOLDLY stated that I would HAVE to pay for any repairs needed on the 'new after warranty' gas leak and smell. He almost seemed to be snickering (not really). But when I mentioned that some dealers were doing the repair for free, he stated, "well, we don't". We have 3 MBs, but I think some of us are victims of dealers that got hit hard by slowing sales and service revenue.

Grrrrr........

Complaint here I come !
Old 08-11-2012, 06:41 PM

one of seven
Complaint filed !!
Old 08-16-2012, 01:10 AM

2004 E55 AMG
I also have a leaking fuel sender. I've been taking out the rear seat cushion periodically and cleaning the leaked fuel.

I encountered an odd issue last night - after driving home on the freeway (120 miles), I went to get something from the back seat and noticed the cushion was very warm to the touch (felt like they had seat heaters in them).
I pulled the rear seat cushion to find that the metal underneath was burning hot, too hot to touch with bare hands.

I don't think this is normal - the fuel tank sits under the rear seat, it shouldn't be hot at all?

I waited until the metal cooled, pulled the access cover and sure enough, more spilled fuel.

I think it's just a matter of time before something ignites the gas tank...
Old 08-16-2012, 01:41 AM

2003 Merc E-500
Leaky seal update

UPDATE:

I filed my NHSTA complaint as noted on page 22.

I ordered a new seal (under the new part number) and retaining ring. The new seal is green and the old seal is black. The threaded retaining ring would not fit on my 2003 tank threads so I used the old one.

The seal leaked within one week of replacement and it seemed to leak worse than the original one.

I pulled the seal and put a thin film of Ultra Blue RTV on the outer lipped sealing surface of the seal, and under the lip of the sending unit. I lightly tightened the ring initially and then as tight as I could by hand and with 2 bars with opposing force to the grip ribs.

The leaking has subsided for now, but I will update..

I am keeping the tank at 3/4 or below just in case..heck I could drive around the entire island 8 times with 3/4 tank.

Anyone know if there is a way to get in on the class action case?
Old 08-16-2012, 02:11 AM

W211 E55, 911 turbo, 911sc, RX330
Originally Posted by [180]
I also have a leaking fuel sender. I've been taking out the rear seat cushion periodically and cleaning the leaked fuel.

I encountered an odd issue last night - after driving home on the freeway (120 miles), I went to get something from the back seat and noticed the cushion was very warm to the touch (felt like they had seat heaters in them).
I pulled the rear seat cushion to find that the metal underneath was burning hot, too hot to touch with bare hands.

I don't think this is normal - the fuel tank sits under the rear seat, it shouldn't be hot at all?

I waited until the metal cooled, pulled the access cover and sure enough, more spilled fuel.

My fuel pump had a short in the wiring harness.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:41 AM

one of seven
Originally Posted by dunnman99
UPDATE:

I filed my NHSTA complaint as noted on page 22.

I ordered a new seal (under the new part number) and retaining ring. The new seal is green and the old seal is black. The threaded retaining ring would not fit on my 2003 tank threads so I used the old one.

The seal leaked within one week of replacement and it seemed to leak worse than the original one.

I pulled the seal and put a thin film of Ultra Blue RTV on the outer lipped sealing surface of the seal, and under the lip of the sending unit. I lightly tightened the ring initially and then as tight as I could by hand and with 2 bars with opposing force to the grip ribs.

The leaking has subsided for now, but I will update..

I am keeping the tank at 3/4 or below just in case..heck I could drive around the entire island 8 times with 3/4 tank.

Anyone know if there is a way to get in on the class action case?

Good info !! If you or anyone knows the parts I need, lemme know and I will fix it myself. If I have to pay the dealer, I will literally punch someone !!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:44 AM

one of seven
Originally Posted by [180]

Yipes, keep an eye on it !! BUT, it has been hotter than *****, here in So Cal.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:24 AM

BMW
I had O rings etc replaced as well as my gas tank. Lately after a long drive where car gets really hot I get a fuel smell again outside the car. I need to check this to make sure its not leaking when getting hot due to parts expanding.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
I do noticed that when ever I over-filled my car I will have a nasty smelling garage in the morning. This only happen when I over-filled the car. If I stop filling the gas right at the first click, no problem.
Interesting thread. My E63 has a huge gas smell issue. I finally noticed inside where it says "don't top off". I guess it really means it. If you fill the tank slowly you get the same issue. Best to keep the tank 3/4 full during the hot summer months, I guess!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:51 PM

2003 SL500 AMG Package, 2015 C300, 2016 WRX
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
I do noticed that when ever I over-filled my car I will have a nasty smelling garage in the morning. This only happen when I over-filled the car. If I stop filling the gas right at the first click, no problem.
I believe the label on the tank lid stated "Top off" may cause fire something like that. I always stop filling after first click.

Last edited by mbslowner; 08-18-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by mbslowner
I believe the label on the tank lid stated "Top off" may cause fire something like that. I always stop filling after first click.
The notice inside near the filler cap says "do not top off". The owner's manual says the same thing. The gas smell has now finally subsided. Still taking it into the stealer tomorrow. (see what the brain trust says, ha ha)
Old 08-19-2012, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Just amazed with how many reported issues there are and yet MB still trying to weasel their way out of the issue....Very disappointing....
Old 08-19-2012, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by cij911
Just amazed with how many reported issues there are and yet MB still trying to weasel their way out of the issue....Very disappointing....
Agree
Very disappointing for a luxury car maker with record sales for the pas t few years
Old 08-20-2012, 01:30 AM

one of seven
Still one of the best cars I've ever owned and I, to this day, look forward to driving it, BUT, EVERYONE with this problem, please fill out the form (link above).

There is strength in numbers............I hope !

I'm just gonna fill to 3/4 tank, until MB gets their **** together. I've heard that some dealerships are doing the fix on the house, so if anyone knows of one in the LA area, hit me up !!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
I just had the MB 2008-020001 complied with in Germany at about 62,000 miles (100,000 km). There was no apparent problem, but I got updated filters/pumps courtesy of MB. One point though, my car has almost never had any ethanol in the fuel system and always had a double dose of StaBil added when stored every year for about 6 months. Also, as I posted before, I use Techron regularly which is also known to protect the fuel sending units while also keeping the valves and pistons clean.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:10 PM

My parents have a 2003 E55 with 80k miles which recently developed gas smell in garage after topping up. Did a search and found this helpful thread and pushed them a bit to take the car to dealer sooner rather than later. Took the car in last week to dealer (with copy of NHTSA letter to MB in hand which they gave to service advisor). Were told there were no recalls, etc...

Dealer replaced both left and right fuel sender units. $1200 in parts and $335 in labor.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by SdSmithMB
My parents have a 2003 E55 with 80k miles which recently developed gas smell in garage after topping up. Did a search and found this helpful thread and pushed them a bit to take the car to dealer sooner rather than later. Took the car in last week to dealer (with copy of NHTSA letter to MB in hand which they gave to service advisor). Were told there were no recalls, etc...

Dealer replaced both left and right fuel sender units. $1200 in parts and $335 in labor.
Please have them file a report with the NTHSA...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Urgent notice. 03-06 E55's that were involved in the fuel sender recall are bombs.