W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker sizes E55 AMG 2003 (Front, Back, and Subwoofer)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
Speaker sizes E55 AMG 2003 (Front, Back, and Subwoofer)

I was wondering if anyone changed out their stock speakers in the doors (front and rear), and subwoofer. The stock speakers sound pretty medicore and I was hoping to just get "drop-in" replacments. I didn't want to alter the factory stuff - including amlifier, etc...

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you in advance.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
i am pretty sure you just can't do a drop in without repacling the amp(s) due to the factory setting. this has been discussed before and a few have done some amazing things - hit up the search function - look at AMGFAN's E - AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:00 PM

e55
baldmike73, thanks for the quick reply. Quite interesting to see that I had over 100+ people that read the post, aind I was fortunate to get a response from you. Checked out the pictures from AMGFAN's E car - unbelievable. I could never afford to do that!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I hardly bump my stereo..

I just listen to AM sports radio and listen to my exhaust and SC whine when I step on it..

but it would be interesting to know if other newer AMG models or MB have better speakers and if we can mix and match.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I am doing a custom build and hope to get my car back tomorrow. I will debut pics and let you know what was installed and the sizing. I did by all new components, amps, subs and head unit. I hope it all got installed
Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Old 08-20-2010, 04:43 AM

2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
my 2006 has a pretty good system -- HK Logic 7 -- it bumbs if i want it to bump but nothing crazy like a custom system -- but compared to any other stock system -- i think it rocks -- there are numerous speakers -- mids - tweets - subs and middle --
Old 08-20-2010, 06:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
The stock system is very good in terms of clarity and reproduction of sound, but the major thing which I feel the car lacks is bass. Maybe just dropping in a better subwoofer would do the job? I do not know anything about stereo systems.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by bebig1
baldmike73, thanks for the quick reply. Quite interesting to see that I had over 100+ people that read the post, aind I was fortunate to get a response from you. Checked out the pictures from AMGFAN's E car - unbelievable. I could never afford to do that!!!
I konw this thread is 3 years old , but just for others who are intrested, I will
leave some comments regarding this.

You will definitely feel the difference right away as soon as you play your first
track after the installation. This is usually the case from the people and it is not a falshivo effect or anything. Its clearly differenct unless you are heaing impaired.

Also even with stock head unit, it is still adequate to plug in some decent aftermarket speakers , such as Focal, Rainbow,Bewith,Sonic Design and RS Audio ect.

However you have to remember that you are still using your OEM head unit in
this set up. So you do have to remember that.

Its relatively a simple job once you finish it. However if you are not comfortable I would recommend a local installer.

Anyhow, I would def recommend it. and I'm in the market for a front set too.

Ow, regarding sound quality, I would say center speaker is too intrusive and too sharp for my ear. Its quite fatiguing for long period of time. Tweets are
OK and I ve heard a lot better. Mids are same thing with tweets really nothing special. Sub is def too weak for my taste, however not really important.

Overall I really want to rip out the entire system if I had the money.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 03 350z Track Built/Single Turbo
The factory sound system sounds fine to me. I guess if you wanted enough bass to shake the car next to you, it'd be worth an upgrade. Not my thing.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I'd like a little more bass from the system without being afraid of blowing out the sub, but that may just be because of the narrow compression of iTunes songs or Sirius.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:04 AM

08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by HeissRod
I'd like a little more bass from the system without being afraid of blowing out the sub, but that may just be because of the narrow compression of iTunes songs or Sirius.
Yeah , you really have to start from a good music source in order to find out

what is really capable. Like WAV, AIFF ect. If you prefer little more bass, I

would recommend oem sub style replacement. Just doing that you will notice

the difference.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 AM

08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by taurran
The factory sound system sounds fine to me. I guess if you wanted enough bass to shake the car next to you, it'd be worth an upgrade. Not my thing.
I am far away from " enough bass to shake the car next to you " kinda sound.

Hell, No! I think, if you go over the brands I mentioned you will notice it .
Old 08-26-2013, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
The speakers in the car are of very good quality and you realize that once you change the head unit.

I switched my headunit and got Avic-140BH and oh boy ! The whole car feels like a theatre now, I mean the woofer comes alive and the loudness

went up 5 fold and clarity is still the same , if not better.

If only they had installed better headunits from the beginning.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
^How was the install on that head unit? Did you DIY, or have a shop do it? I was looking at that recently. Post a pic of what it looks like installed.

My biggest problem is getting any music to sound good. The AUX input jack leaves much to be desired. Regular FM stations sound better than anything coming across the AUX, and if I have my phone charging while playing music, I get background interference noise. I recently switched to a Bluetooth streamer that plugs into the jack, but it isn't much better. A Boy Scout with a map and compass could do a better job than the stock nav system by today's standards, so I never use it. I had the XM radio activated for a while, but living in a major metropolitan area, I have it cut out three times each way to and from work.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I did not do it myself but if one is capable of understanding the wire diagrams and systemology, they can easily Do it themselves. I had future shop

do it for me. You will need an integral part to make this system work though it's called "OPTI-1" it's basically a module which will allow your car's

amplifier and all to be able to integrate with aftermarket unit. When I bought that unit "Opti-1" it was $550 USD , in this small box there is a small

board which I'd reckon could be made at home as well or imported from India or China but since no one has it or tried looking in it, the cost is so high.

You can change the logos but that's the feature of the headunit lol

I need a Pioneer bracket to make it a proper fit which I haven't gotten around ordering

one yet that's why it looks out of place

Once you hear your music through the new head unit you'd fall in love with the car all

over again (for example the way one feels after adding LTH lol )

It's amazing and worth the cost I'd say.

P.S- you won't have fade capability cuz the module doesn't recognize it.

These threads for reference

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...-1-review.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...tallation.html
Old 12-13-2013, 12:22 PM

2008 Escalade, 2004 E55 AMG
I've read this post and the PIONEER double-din looks great. I will be installing an after market Pioneer 10 Slimline subwoofer into the rear deck. I was curious as to what the sizes were for the front center, front door, and rear door speakers. I tried a search and did not find the answers on the exact dimensions for the speakers

My AMP is going bad and I have not pulled the trigger yet to buy a used one from a member on here. THanks all for the info...Viren89 the great pics of the install.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS55 AMG 06
Ok is there an amp i can buy and take my old one out and use this new one with the same wires without rewiring or adding ****, I honestly know very little about audio but my cls55 has very low audio, I bought this 6 months ago and the audio at max volume is about half the volume of any other stock car, I had a e90 325i bmw before, Can someone tell me what the problem would be or if theres an amp that can be easily swapped out with better performance. TY