Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Aftermarket Installation

Hello,

I bought an aftermarket Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH for my 04 E55 AMG

I went to get it installed and the shop told me that I need

MOST headunit replacement wiring harness so the stereo can communicate with the amp and all.

Anyone knows where I can get this wire from ? online stores or anything ?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Are you capable of basic Internet searches?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
MOST HEADUNIT REPLACEMENT WIRING, you go ahead and try searching it and then let me know if you find anything useful. I tried Google as well as this forum as well as NAVTV website and no useful findings yet.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
I see what you're saying....

https://www.google.com/search?q=merc...&client=safari
Old 01-14-2013, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Thanks but whatever you have given me doesn't answer my question, no where is the link to purchase the harness kit. All searches either describe what it is or what it do. Hence my reason for posting here in the first place.

I need something that allows my Pioneer Avic to be able to connect with the factory Amp known as "MOST HEADUNIT REPLACEMENT WIRING KIT"
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
Let me know if you find something that works... From the info I have gathered on this forum. You have to ditch factory amp and wire in your own.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E55
Originally Posted by viren.89
Anyone knows where I can get this wire from ? online stores or anything ?
Sounds like you do not have ANY idea what you are up against . You have a fiber optic loop in your car, and you would need some kind of an RCA input>fiber optic output converter to go in place of your Head unit. I am not aware of anyone ever integrating an aftermarket deck into the stock MOST system, everyone who runs an aftermarket deck bypasses the Audio Gateway(your amplifier) completely in favor of an aftermarket amp. With that being said, why would you want that sh*t in your dash anyways? It ruins the look of the interior... If you do not have COMAND currently you could have gone to a euro COMAND, or if you wanted all the bells and whistles of an aftermarket deck, Dynavin MOST unit. Both retain the factory look and are a breeze to install
Old 01-14-2013, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Originally Posted by forcefed4door
Let me know if you find something that works... From the info I have gathered on this forum. You have to ditch factory amp and wire in your own.
I just ordered the Opti-1 which you can search in the audio forum here. It is designed to work with the factory amp and use a 3rd party double din unit. Should arrive this week so I will have some feedback on the process shortly

EDIT: It is supposed to work with the MOST ring.

Last edited by seven6zero; 01-14-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
that makes a lot of sense but I believe that aftermarket amp doesn't have the so called built in "crossover" as they call it, or is there a certain amp that I can use. The NAV-TV MOST headunit replacement I just found is $500 plus shipping.

So if I simply get an aftermarket amp and replace all the wirings it'll work ? Is there a single amp which could do all that or I need more than one amp to power all those speakers ??
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 PM

W211 E55
Originally Posted by viren.89
that makes a lot of sense but I believe that aftermarket amp doesn't have the so called built in "crossover" as they call it, or is there a certain amp that I can use. The NAV-TV MOST headunit replacement I just found is $500 plus shipping.

So if I simply get an aftermarket amp and replace all the wirings it'll work ? Is there a single amp which could do all that or I need more than one amp to power all those speakers ??
I would look in to "replace all the wirings" from your local shop. Most shops won't touch a fiber optic system because of how much time/money it costs to re-wire.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 PM

2003 E55
Originally Posted by seven6zero
I just ordered the Opti-1 which you can search in the audio forum here. It is designed to work with the factory amp and use a 3rd party double din unit. Should arrive this week so I will have some feedback on the process shortly

EDIT: It is supposed to work with the MOST ring.
Out of curiosity, why did you chose to keep the factory amp? It is the only thing that's preventing the factory speakers from reaching their full potential...
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 PM

W211 E55
Originally Posted by Lelix
Out of curiosity, why did you chose to keep the factory amp? It is the only thing that's preventing the factory speakers from reaching their full potential...
Why replace something you don't have to?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Thats the best thing about the NTG 2.5 conversion. The amps are finally worthy and the system sounds fantastic
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 PM

2003 E55
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Thats the best thing about the NTG 2.5 conversion. The amps are finally worthy and the system sounds fantastic
I agree, the NTG 2.5 is a MUCH better system.

seven6zero, I figured if you go through the hassle of installing an aftermarket double DIN unit instead of the COMAND, then why not upgrade the amp as well instead of spending money on an optical conversion box just to retain the same bottleneck in the system. The opti-1 retail seems to be around $500 as per Google?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage

seven6zero, I figured if you go through the hassle of installing an aftermarket double DIN unit instead of the COMAND, then why not upgrade the amp as well instead of spending money on an optical conversion box just to retain the same bottleneck in the system. The opti-1 retail seems to be around $500 as per Google?
100% correct change out the whole system while you're at it, it'll be much less of a hassle down the road if anything goes bad, and it'd sound much better with the aftermarket parts. replace all wire as well. make it a project, you got yourself one of the best double din stereos on the market (played with the Z-150BH over the weekend at CES vegas BTW) so make the best of it.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG

Wouldn't a new " amp/amps, crossover, wires, installation and everything" cost way more than 700 bucks ?

I am in no way a DIY guy when it comes to electronics
Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 PM

W211 E55
Originally Posted by michael kuzni
100% correct change out the whole system while you're at it, it'll be much less of a hassle down the road if anything goes bad, and it'd sound much better with the aftermarket parts. replace all wire as well. make it a project, you got yourself one of the best double din stereos on the market (played with the Z-150BH over the weekend at CES vegas BTW) so make the best of it.
I understand the point, its just not something I am going to do. I have to look at it from a cost perspective.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I was pointed in this direction by a board member.

The OPTI-1 interface alleviates all extra cost associated with replacing the COMAND. allows you to keep the audio gateway and factory amplifier and replace the factory radio with an aftermarket. NTG2.5 is a great option also, but still lacks in the navigation department and features.

A set of high quality component speakers (audison or hertz) for the front door will cost more than the interface, then you still have rear speakers, sub, amp, wiring, and labor to buy or perform. The Opti-1 allows me to change the COMAND in a little over than an hours time.

Further, the audio quality of the vehicle has overall been improved when I have done the few with Kenwood Nav units... the highs are more crisp and the lows drum up some more impact and the subwoofer comes alive!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by jbondox

The OPTI-1 interface alleviates all extra cost associated with replacing the COMAND. allows you to keep the audio gateway and factory amplifier and replace the factory radio with an aftermarket. NTG2.5 is a great option also, but still lacks in the navigation department and features.

A set of high quality component speakers (audison or hertz) for the front door will cost more than the interface, then you still have rear speakers, sub, amp, wiring, and labor to buy or perform. The Opti-1 allows me to change the COMAND in a little over than an hours time.

Further, the audio quality of the vehicle has overall been improved when I have done the few with Kenwood Nav units... the highs are more crisp and the lows drum up some more impact and the subwoofer comes alive!

A few things, the original amps SUCK. WHy you would keep them if you are going to the trouble of replacing the head unit? Nav in NTG 2.5 is lacking what in the nav department? It works pretty damn well
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
A few things, the original amps SUCK. WHy you would keep them if you are going to the trouble of replacing the head unit? Nav in NTG 2.5 is lacking what in the nav department? It works pretty damn well
I understand your point but it just simply cannot compete with top of the line aftermarket as of yet. Maybe the new E63s would be mine doesn't even have navigation and to be honest I was completely unaware of this upgrading to NTG 2.5 option , so now I can't return all the eqiupment I've bought either.

It's not just the amp replacement but rather all the related wires , capacitor, better battery or not. But with the amp comes other things too. Where as with OEM interface integration one can simply plug in the aftermarket and on there merry way . Well at least thats what it seems as of now.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:20 AM

2003 E55

Sorry but I am still not convinced that it is a worthwhile upgrade.

I guess it makes sense from a financial standpoint, but even then, I would assume the interface is around $400-500, then you are looking at a good double DIN unit, which will easily put you over $1000. As for quality, I am not convinced that it will improve anything. I think what you are referring to as an improvement in quality is just a result of running an already EQ'd signal out of the head unit, into the converter then into the AGW where it gets FURTHER processed, which is hardly improving the sound quality just over-equalizing it. My vote goes to ditching the AGW completely.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Lelix - I understand your point of view.

The thing is that not financial standpoint alone but there are other factors as well.
Replacing everything means involves a lot of work. Where I live it is really really hard to find a good install shop which will do an impeccable job but also will stand by it's work. Taking out seats, opening door panels, replacing all the wiring, changing speakers if need to be , then installing new amps and making sure it doesn't drain the battery. These are to name a few.
Also if they dont put anything back properly it'll rattle, make noise and all which is annoying. So these opti-1 and other oem integration is the way to go if you want minimum interference by someone else and still want to enjoy all the benefits from an aftermarket system.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
^couldn't agree more. Plus you gotta worry about breaking plastic clips everywhere. It really does make much more sence to keep as much factory equipment intact. Hell if you ever want to remove all the stuff when you sell your car its very simple to slap the OEM radio back in. Then you can resell the radio and wiring module.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I apologize for not responding more immediate, I am trying to balance the work load and home life, but failing since there is never enough time in the day.

AMG Pilot:

A few things, the original amps SUCK. Why you would keep them if you are going to the trouble of replacing the head unit? Nav in NTG 2.5 is lacking what in the NAV department? It works pretty damn well
I see your point to an extent, however I believe that garbage in is garbage out. The factory amp is doing its best with what it has for a source, changing the source helps dramatically on the sound system. If you have the DSP, disconnect the mic, and DSP ceases.

Further if you piece together and the wiring for a NTG2.5, amplifier, satellite radio, and media interface... you are where? Broke?! What good is a NTG2.5 w/o the sat radio or media interface? Sat radio transmits the traffic info to the 2.5.

Now if you decide not to use the amp and go speaker level output into a processor then an aftermarket amplifier will be used or you can forgo the EQ and straight into an amplifier then out to the speakers.

If you want to keep the factory amplifier than it is going to need some rewiring and some extra speakers as it has the ability for 7.1 amplification. The good news is that instead of the older 2003-2008 211 center channel taking the signal from the front left and right speaker, the new amp has a dedicated center channel output... but with all good news comes bad, there is also the surround speakers that need added and the subwoofer has its own amplifier fed from the sound amp with a NTG2.5

I hope that makes sense.

Now, is there anyone crazy enough to spend the money to do it like that? Hell yeah. But they are a minority, most only go half way and forgo the factory amp, and just add sat, media interface, and the ntg2.5 hooked to Audison bit10 processor feeding aftermarket amps.

As for the ntg2.5 navigation system, it is light years above the previous comand system, which is why you are probably saying “in NTG 2.5 is lacking what in the NAV department? It works pretty damn well" And I agree. Look at the new ML/GL NAV system and it will make the NTG2.5 look like how you felt about the original 2003-08 Comand.

Depending on which aftermarket radio, the features are slightly better or way better than the NTG2.5. If I were to have my choice, I would put the new ML/GL Comand in, even over any aftermarket unit on the planet.

Lelix

I would love more than anything to install a complete audio system, starting with an Audison Bit10, Audison Amplifiers, Hertz Mille components, JL Audio subwoofers, and the associated wiring. Hey, I just spent $10k before labor!

I have built vehicle audio systems over many years that you could hear a gnat fart in 5.1, so I know what is expected out of an audio system.

This interface is for people that think the COMAND sucks, can’t afford to go out and buy the NTG2.5, SDARS, Amp, media interface, and then have it installed along with the extra speakers including the sub amp or add aftermarket amp and speakers.

So back to being realistic, the short coming of the vehicle is the antique COMAND. The OPTI-1 replaces it easily without adding another amp or doing a crazy rewire. I am sure as the demand increases the price will come down a bit, but it is a new product, production is limited, and the costs of keeping it alive are pretty high.

Further the sound quality has improved over the factory system from the several people locally that I know that have had it replaced.

I hope this helps and clarifies my position.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
I apologize for not responding more immediate, I am trying to balance the work load and home life, but failing since there is never enough time in the day.

AMG Pilot:

I see your point to an extent, however I believe that garbage in is garbage out. The factory amp is doing its best with what it has for a source, changing the source helps dramatically on the sound system. If you have the DSP, disconnect the mic, and DSP ceases.

Further if you piece together and the wiring for a NTG2.5, amplifier, satellite radio, and media interface... you are where? Broke?! What good is a NTG2.5 w/o the sat radio or media interface? Sat radio transmits the traffic info to the 2.5.

Now if you decide not to use the amp and go speaker level output into a processor then an aftermarket amplifier will be used or you can forgo the EQ and straight into an amplifier then out to the speakers.

If you want to keep the factory amplifier than it is going to need some rewiring and some extra speakers as it has the ability for 7.1 amplification. The good news is that instead of the older 2003-2008 211 center channel taking the signal from the front left and right speaker, the new amp has a dedicated center channel output... but with all good news comes bad, there is also the surround speakers that need added and the subwoofer has its own amplifier fed from the sound amp with a NTG2.5

I hope that makes sense.

Now, is there anyone crazy enough to spend the money to do it like that? Hell yeah. But they are a minority, most only go half way and forgo the factory amp, and just add sat, media interface, and the ntg2.5 hooked to Audison bit10 processor feeding aftermarket amps.

As for the ntg2.5 navigation system, it is light years above the previous comand system, which is why you are probably saying “in NTG 2.5 is lacking what in the NAV department? It works pretty damn well" And I agree. Look at the new ML/GL NAV system and it will make the NTG2.5 look like how you felt about the original 2003-08 Comand.

Depending on which aftermarket radio, the features are slightly better or way better than the NTG2.5. If I were to have my choice, I would put the new ML/GL Comand in, even over any aftermarket unit on the planet.

Lelix

I would love more than anything to install a complete audio system, starting with an Audison Bit10, Audison Amplifiers, Hertz Mille components, JL Audio subwoofers, and the associated wiring. Hey, I just spent $10k before labor!

I have built vehicle audio systems over many years that you could hear a gnat fart in 5.1, so I know what is expected out of an audio system.

This interface is for people that think the COMAND sucks, can’t afford to go out and buy the NTG2.5, SDARS, Amp, media interface, and then have it installed along with the extra speakers including the sub amp or add aftermarket amp and speakers.

So back to being realistic, the short coming of the vehicle is the antique COMAND. The OPTI-1 replaces it easily without adding another amp or doing a crazy rewire. I am sure as the demand increases the price will come down a bit, but it is a new product, production is limited, and the costs of keeping it alive are pretty high.

Further the sound quality has improved over the factory system from the several people locally that I know that have had it replaced.

I hope this helps and clarifies my position.
I think you have way too much time in your day, that is one very well thought out and executed explanation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Installation