To sell or to build? That is the question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
To sell or to build? That is the question

I'm at the point where I either want to build the car and go through with what I've always wanted but have been procrastinating on or to just sell the car. What would you guys do? I have a ton of money in this thing including several sets of wheels. I know I can't replace it with anything like it for the price I would probably end up selling it for. The build I have planned will probably cost close to $20k but upon completion there will be no benz that can keep up (at least not currently)
Old 08-20-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Armada
I guess that depends on what you plan doing to the car and if you are bored with it. What would you replace the car with? That is something that you always have to concider. I say keep and do your build unless you have a better option for a replacement.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by jayhawkblk
I guess that depends on what you plan doing to the car and if you are bored with it. What would you replace the car with? That is something that you always have to concider. I say keep and do your build unless you have a better option for a replacement.
I am bored with it. It just doesn't feel fast to me anymore. Built motor, standalone, and turbo/s. In terms of replacement I'm not sure, there are many cars I like and I guess whatever I find first that I really like. Maybe wait for the new M5, SL65, Viper, C6 Z06, Aston Vantage, turbo M3, supra, grand national etc etc If I do end up in another benz I probably wont heavily modify it. Wheels, suspension, exhaust, and tune is pretty much it.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:35 AM

2012 Armada
Well if you are bored that kinda settles it. Sell it and move on to the next. If I had the coin the Aston Martin Vantage V12 would be my choice of the cars you listed.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:40 AM

His wife crazy
^^^
What he said.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I am bored with it. It just doesn't feel fast to me anymore. Built motor, standalone, and turbo/s. In terms of replacement I'm not sure, there are many cars I like and I guess whatever I find first that I really like. Maybe wait for the new M5, SL65, Viper, C6 Z06, Aston Vantage, turbo M3, supra, grand national etc etc If I do end up in another benz I probably wont heavily modify it. Wheels, suspension, exhaust, and tune is pretty much it.
Well if you're bored with it then I wouldn't suggest putting in another $20K because if you're not happy with the additional mods then you're stuck with a money pit. I'm in love with my SL55 and I plan on keeping it forever so I don't mind throwing money at it for enjoyment.

I would say do as you suggested and wait for the new SL65, Aston Vantage, or C6 Z06 and add wheels, exhaust, and a tune.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Well if you are bored that kinda settles it. Sell it and move on to the next. If I had the coin the Aston Martin Vantage V12 would be my choice of the cars you listed.
When I say I'm bored with it I mean the power level. Ok thanks for your input.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Havoc
Well if you're bored with it then I wouldn't suggest putting in another $20K because if you're not happy with the additional mods then you're stuck with a money pit. I'm in love with my SL55 and I plan on keeping it forever so I don't mind throwing money at it for enjoyment.

I would say do as you suggested and wait for the new SL65, Aston Vantage, or C6 Z06 and add wheels, exhaust, and a tune.
I should've been more clear when I said I was bored with it. I'm bored with the current power level, I still love the car and beating cars it shouldn't. I love being unique.

Out of the cars I listed only the M5 would be the new model. I dont want to take a huge hit on first year of ownership. The mod thing I was saying pertains to MB models only. Well the Aston too. Pretty much all the other cars listed have great aftermarket options and support and I would mod the hell out of it. Especially the cars like Z06, supra, and GN
Old 08-20-2010, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
I should've been more clear when I said I was bored with it. I'm bored with the current power level, I still love the car and beating cars it shouldn't. I love being unique.

Out of the cars I listed only the M5 would be the new model. I dont want to take a huge hit on first year of ownership. The mod thing I was saying pertains to MB models only. Well the Aston too. Pretty much all the other cars listed have great aftermarket options and support and I would mod the hell out of it. Especially the cars like Z06, supra, and GN
Honestly bro, you'll probably get bored with the power level of any car after some time. I mean, your car runs 10.5 and you still want more!

You need to mod the hell out of a Z06!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:52 AM

2012 Armada
Honestly bro, you'll probably get bored with the power level of any car after some time. I mean, your car runs 10.5 and you still want more!

cough cough........R1 with mods
Old 08-20-2010, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi

I don't know about VA anymore, but here is Dallas there are SOOO many Vettes rolling around. I'd thought about a Z06 for a track car, but then i see like 10 every day. Retarded fast for the money though. A guy in my club just SC'ed his and put down 780 at the wheels
Old 08-20-2010, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Boss Hoss 502 big block 2 Cans of Nitros!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKCUg...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUER2...eature=related
Old 08-20-2010, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
You already know my answer, but the new M5...
Old 08-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy

Yea I know. But the goal is to about double the current power level

That is definitely an option! Or a turbo viper
A bike? Nah. If you meant the ZR1 vette, my gf already has one so no point in getting 2 lol.
Originally Posted by citylightva
I don't know about VA anymore, but here is Dallas there are SOOO many Vettes rolling around. I'd thought about a Z06 for a track car, but then i see like 10 every day. Retarded fast for the money though. A guy in my club just SC'ed his and put down 780 at the wheels
Same here. Which is why I'm leaning towards doing something more unique, aka finish the CLK. The Z06 is badass car though, I would love to own one
Haha nice but not my style.
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
You already know my answer, but the new M5...
Yup, I knew you would pick the most expensive one Jk

Last edited by blackbenzz; 08-20-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: Move On or Build

I have not personally seen your machine, but the track results speak for themselves. You have one FAST BENZ.

If I were you, I'd keep it and get a 2nd toy to keep you entertained. You'll never be able to replace it for what you sell it for, and you'll kick yourself later for letting it go.

While my current garage leaves me anything but bored, when I think back on some of the cars I've owned and sold, and what I sold them for vs. to buy them or recreate them today, I wish I had just kept most of them and put them into storage.

Just last week I was driving on the other side of town only to see my LPE Vette which I sold 2 years ago.....because I was bored.....fly past me. I was in my 03 BMW and could not catch the guy to say hi, he was gone in a flash. I could never recreate that car for what I sold it for, it was perfect, thoroughly sorted out, seriously fast, and paid for. I should have kept it. Ditto to my Jeep SRT-8, which I also see from time to time. I could go on.

My .02, do what feels right for you.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by NCE500
I have not personally seen your machine, but the track results speak for themselves. You have one FAST BENZ.

If I were you, I'd keep it and get a 2nd toy to keep you entertained. You'll never be able to replace it for what you sell it for, and you'll kick yourself later for letting it go.

While my current garage leaves me anything but bored, when I think back on some of the cars I've owned and sold, and what I sold them for vs. to buy them or recreate them today, I wish I had just kept most of them and put them into storage.

Just last week I was driving on the other side of town only to see my LPE Vette which I sold 2 years ago.....because I was bored.....fly past me. I was in my 03 BMW and could not catch the guy to say hi, he was gone in a flash. I could never recreate that car for what I sold it for, it was perfect, thoroughly sorted out, seriously fast, and paid for. I should have kept it. Ditto to my Jeep SRT-8, which I also see from time to time. I could go on.

My .02, do what feels right for you.
Thanks, that is exactly what I am afraid of. I know it would take a ton of money just to get another CLK to where it is now. After I'm done with the build... I'd hate to think how much money I dumped into the thing lol
Old 08-20-2010, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
It's a tough decision especially when you think about how incredibly fast your car is Whatever you do, make sure you capture the record before you move on

By the way, what kind of power-level/mods were you planning if you decide to keep it?
Old 08-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
It's a tough decision especially when you think about how incredibly fast your car is Whatever you do, make sure you capture the record before you move on

By the way, what kind of power-level/mods were you planning if you decide to keep it?
Thanks Mo I'm not sure I can wait that long lol. I will try. I have to wait to get custom rods/pistons made anyway.

I don't want to put a number out there because I would personally be happy with just 650whp but I think I should be able to make over double what I'm making now when everything is said and done. Lets just say the rods I would be getting have held over 200hp each. Think big numbers. More than any benz has made so far in a lighter platform

Last edited by blackbenzz; 08-20-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
why not go racing for real? Join SCCA and have a blast with a Miata (or whatever). Racing door to door doesn't have to be at 150 miles an hour to be thrilling, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune to participate. $20,000 is good seed money.

We'll all be rooting for you.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:45 PM

2012 Armada
[quote=blackbenzz;4212582]Yea I know. But the goal is to about double the current power level

That is definitely an option! Or a turbo viper

A bike? Nah. If you meant the ZR1 vette, my gf already has one so no point in getting 2 lol.

was referring to the vette but if your GF has one already then check that off. Wait your GF drives a ZR1? That is nice.

Turbo viper would be off the hook. What about a turbo'd Gallardo?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
What about a turbo'd Gallardo?
This one gets my vote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL2su8eMEIc
Old 08-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
why not go racing for real? Join SCCA and have a blast with a Miata (or whatever). Racing door to door doesn't have to be at 150 miles an hour to be thrilling, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune to participate. $20,000 is good seed money.

We'll all be rooting for you.
That sounds like fun but its not something I am interested at the time. Thanks for the suggestion though.
was referring to the vette but if your GF has one already then check that off. Wait your GF drives a ZR1? That is nice.

Turbo viper would be off the hook. What about a turbo'd Gallardo?
Yea she does. I'm a lucky guy!

Hell yea it would be! Out of my price range but definitely badass
Originally Posted by tgoss
This one gets my vote
Mine too! Who's paying?
Originally Posted by tgoss
Yea I've seen that one. SO badass! Have you seen some of the cars NRE has done?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mine too! Who's paying?
Hell I'll pitch in if you stitch my name on the passenger seat and take me for hell rides, but only highway runs @ 200mph +

Yea I've seen that one. SO badass! Have you seen some of the cars NRE has done?
OH god yes! Well if you're in the market.... DO IT! Something about twin snails on a big block makes me think you might be entertained for a while
Old 08-20-2010, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Actually if you just wanna go retard fast, get a C6 LS3...There are 2 guys here putting down 950+ at the wheels ProCharged...Then again now that I think about it I think they both put over $50K in em though...

Your CLK is nasty though...One of my favorite builds on here

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To sell or to build? That is the question