Sponsored by:

Why did my transmission do this???!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Silver C43
Why did my transmission do this???!!!!

I accelerated pretty fast on the highway from a stand still (nothing like a ¼ mile run but still fast) I hit about 90 mph then the transmission basically shifted its self into neutral. I pressed the gas and it just only reved (as if it was in neutral) WTF?!?! I slowed down the car and I was moving the shifter from d to 4 to 3 and back and still nothing. I started to take an exit and slowed to about 15 mph and then it was back to working. It was accelerating once again. This is now twice it has happened in 2 months. Why? (Car has starmark warranty)
Old 04-16-2003, 07:47 PM

It happened to me once on E500.

I was accelerating hard in manual mode in third gear and went to slam it into fourth and I may have accidently pushed it into neutral, I'm not sure. Regardless when I went to recover I got the same response you did which it acted like it was in neutral regardless of which gear I selected. I was able to drift over from the passing lane to the breakdown lane and restarted the car. I never had this reoccur again.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Hmm me too...

Similar experience as yours, except when I shifted from 5 to 4 and back again, it kicked back in. I'm taking it in for an oil change next week, and I'll mention it. hmmm.