W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Methanol Injection Install DIY - FINALLY!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by Bramage
It is rocket science....

Methanol (CH3OH) can be produced from the Marian atmosphere with little difficulty. This fact makes methanol an attractive propulsion fuel option for Mars exploration missions. Using methanol as a rocket propulsion fuel also addresses key issues in current state-of-the-art hydrocarbon cooled rocket engines, such as coking, environmental compatibility and ground processing operations, from exhaust product and safety standpoints, respectively. Coking is a major problem that limits the op-eration and performance of such systems. Methanol can be decomposed endothermically, in the presence of a catalyst, into carbon monoxide and hydrogen, absorbing a great deal of enthalpy in the process. It can also absorb more enthalpy for a given temperature change than hydrogen, making it a superior coolant. A methanol fuel rocket system can use the test and operational infrastructure that are currently in place to support current hydrocarbon fueled engine systems. Additionally, it is likely that no exotic, advanced technologies will be required to develop low-cost, modest perform-ance methanol fuel rocket engine systems. Use of this low-cost propulsion system technology should provide significant improvement in life cycle cost, reliability, and safety of future space sys-tems, as well as make both manned and unmanned Mars exploration missions, attractive, realistic cost options.
really
i said "installing a methanol kit" not methanol as a substance
Old 09-30-2010, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Crap, I just ordered 3800lb of solid rocket fuel and a BIG nozzle
Old 09-30-2010, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by shardul
yes as i mentioned in my first post on this thread this would not have been possible without Nicholas aka sneakyneon's help

i am waiting to follow you on the killerchiller mod
Haha...trust me, I'm also waiting patiently. MBTEK has a few more little issues to resolve and on my car it goes. His results are phenomenal!!!! Can you imagine running 30 degrees below ambient from a dig and having meth kick in and staying close to ambient at WOT.... The day is coming!!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by bassn_07
Haha...trust me, I'm also waiting patiently. MBTEK has a few more little issues to resolve and on my car it goes. His results are phenomenal!!!! Can you imagine running 30 degrees below ambient from a dig and having meth kick in and staying close to ambient at WOT.... The day is coming!!!!
YES, that will be awesome. basically you create your own atmosphere for the car hahaha
Old 09-30-2010, 07:01 PM

e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
im thinking of mounting the pump in the fender well and tapping the windshield wiper reservoir

thoughs?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by theeddie
im thinking of mounting the pump in the fender well and tapping the windshield wiper reservoir

thoughs?
Thats how mine is set up, If you have headlight washer then you have a 7L tank other wise you have a 3.5 L tank
I used 2 part epoxy to put the fitting in the tank and theres a small place behind the fender linning at the bottom that the pump will fit.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Crap, I just ordered 3800lb of solid rocket fuel and a BIG nozzle

TRANSLATION....................................... ..

+

Sounds like you have an interesting weekend lined up
Old 09-30-2010, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-Carro
Originally Posted by lowprofile
TRANSLATION....................................... ..

+

Sounds like you have an interesting weekend lined up

WTF!!!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
On= Happy
Off= Sad

Forum Rule #22- All threads will go to hell after 81 posts!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
LOL! I was hoping you would have a good sense of humor about that.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Has there ever been a sticky thread kissing the ***'s of those who have pioneered projects, those who have made great DIY's, those who have spent countless hours and $$$ which in turn had helped out others in their decision / power making. Thanks guys

Here Here

Cheers

p.s
For the record, my eyes are plastered to the A/C cooling mod thread but will remain envious of those with the ballz to run Meth.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Here's a little screen shot of how a meth run will look when using ice at the track. This run was done in about 75-80 degree weather. Luckily I was able to get one run in immediately without no waiting time in the staging lanes. During the summer Sac gets crowded and staging time could be quite long. Most of my other runs started off at 80-90 degrees due to this even though I iced down before the run.

This is why MBTEK's mod will outperform ice in the typical TNT days. Most times it's not even worth the effort to ice down with crowded events.

Sorry about the RPM spikes, I'm working on resolving the problem....enjoy!

Methanol Injection Install DIY - FINALLY!-meth.jpg
Old 10-01-2010, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
I assume without the meth, your IAT's would be 140+? That is insane!! Why are your RPMs spiking? Also, what pulley is that? I was under the impression that a 180 gave around 15lb boost. Thanks!!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
I think the day is here, it is just a matter of "Do It"! I am trying to figure out what the diff is between the $750 kit and the $650 kit. They look identical. It will be very interesting to see someone do this that has the time and patcience to dial it in. I think MBTEK is a busy guy
Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
I assume without the meth, your IAT's would be 140+? That is insane!! Why are your RPMs spiking? Also, what pulley is that? I was under the impression that a 180 gave around 15lb boost. Thanks!!
Without meth my IAT's would be in the 150's on a full 1/4 mile pass, which includes no ice. I'm also running a 185 pulley along with the rear reservoir.

The rpm spikes are due to interference and I probably need to change the location of my ground wire.

As for the boost, I'm seeing around 14.5 at the begining of 3rd gear which slowly decreases throughout the gear. This same decrease happens in all gears.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:12 AM

P-Carro
Without meth my IAT's would be in the 150's on a full 1/4 mile pass, which includes no ice. I'm also running a 185 pulley along with the rear reservoir.

The rpm spikes are due to interference and I probably need to change the location of my ground wire.

As for the boost, I'm seeing around 14.5 at the begining of 3rd gear which slowly decreases throughout the gear. This same decrease happens in all gears.

METHANOL INJECTION IS THE SHIIIIIIIT!!:naughty :
Old 10-02-2010, 02:19 AM

P-Carro

I'm Curious about the boost drop having to do with the supercharger clutch ready to take a **** heard this somewhere but i think all our cars do it..
Old 10-02-2010, 06:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
I'm Curious about the boost drop having to do with the supercharger clutch ready to take a **** heard this somewhere but i think all our cars do it..
It's the nature of the linearity of a SC boost delivery ... At higher rpm the motor consumes air proportionally more than the SC can provide relative to low rpm delivery.

Could also be some belt slippage , but I doubt the results would be that consistent.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C63s
Wow! That's funny I came from the dark side(Sti) to come to a daily driven 12 second comfortable 4 dr! That's ironic!
Originally Posted by HadiLaw
Haha, thats me! Heat soaked, no tune after new parts, probably had about 500rwhp that day before being heat soaked. Now, its a different story but IM TIRED OF BREAK DOWNS!

Im going over to the dark side!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...item4aa44c8905
Old 10-03-2010, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
I'm not sure why it does this but so far it's consistent with a few other cars with varying mods.

We (Sneakyneons help) just got done installing a meth kit on my friends car and it help a tremendously on his IAT's. His car went from 170 degrees up to 130+ mph to 104 at the same speeds.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 PM

P-Carro
I'm not sure why it does this but so far it's consistent with a few other cars with varying mods.

We (Sneakyneons help) just got done installing a meth kit on my friends car and it help a tremendously on his IAT's. His car went from 170 degrees up to 130+ mph to 104 at the same speeds.
I can relate to the 160s-170s

Yes those meth numbers seem right on

I did a quick 30-100mph pull with temps starting at 115 degrees and dropped to high 90s right before letting off

What PSI you have meth kicking in @? 1/3 of full boost is recommended according to my Setup but 7.4 is where i have it but might try it around 6 to see how it does- Full boost is around 14.6 psi.

Also have to look into how much is the ideal percentage of the Injector Duty Cycle...Currently set @ -10 i believe..All in all my AFR's stay in the 11.9s compared to mid-high 10's when reaching those 150 temps..Will comeback with more updates.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
I’ll be test benching my system tonight in advance of my install. I would take pictures, but it will be crude. I am going to test spray into a pressurized vessel to determine the effects of pressure on the spray output, pattern and (perceived) atomization. I will also test the nozzle under vacuum to verify there is no fluid "Pulled".. Test will include pump, pressure switch, solenoid.

Another thing I want to see is pressure loss through different tubing lengths and speed at which pump comes on following trigger from pressure sender. I can hardly wait.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
I’ll be test benching my system tonight in advance of my install. I would take pictures, but it will be crude. I am going to test spray into a pressurized vessel to determine the effects of pressure on the spray output, pattern and (perceived) atomization. I will also test the nozzle under vacuum to verify there is no fluid "Pulled".. Test will include pump, pressure switch, solenoid.

Another thing I want to see is pressure loss through different tubing lengths and speed at which pump comes on following trigger from pressure sender. I can hardly wait.
Damn !

The way my buddies system was tested is having the car running and manually activating the meth switch. The test resulted in a slight bog followed by very cold surge tank temps on both sides, almost ice cold to the touch.

Can't wait to see how your test turns out.....
Old 10-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

did you get the electronic controller or the hobbs pressure switch to activate the system?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
I got the controller, but also picked up the hobbs. I plan on testing both. I expect I am going to ultimetly try to trigger off of the Zeitronix / Dashdaq. But for now, its all just testing to make sure things are doing what I think they are supposed to. This is a ***** of a job, and all my parts are inside the house. It will only get tougher when I try to add to the car.

You know shardul, its a fun project. The reason I don't think ill use the controller is because we come on boost so fast...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Methanol Injection Install DIY - FINALLY!