Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Window Tint Law Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Prius because I'm green
I have been pulled over by a ***** CHP just for no front plate and tint. There is some legal talk that I am brain farting on right now but yes he has to have a reason to ask you. Just remember though it's all in how they justify it and CHP officers are called traffic cops for a reason, they are pretty good with CVC.

Even though they are required to measure the transperancy to prove in court you violated the law, the judge will still back them. Trust me I showed proof that an E55 comes with blue glazed solar windows and the officer never measured to show this, $350 later I was walking out pissed and about to file extortion towards the state. (and no I didn't put my plate on the front nor did I remove the limo tint on the front windows in my other benz, they can eat a d!@k!)

Cali law doesn't allow any film attached to the front side windows. You can have temporary shades installed but that is still very restricted and only with a doctors order in the car. It's all about officers safety and Cali makes sure they can see you.

Side note window tint is now up to the officers discretion, he can write it as a fix it ticket or non fix it and make it a moving violation. Also no more GPS or data loggers in the windows, they must be attached to the dash and it's still restricted in which size they can be and how much view they can restrict.

Welcome to Calibernia! Try not to read to much into CVC, it's about case law that changes monthly and Cali makes 1 billion in traffic fines!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 e55
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
Also no more GPS or data loggers in the windows, they must be attached to the dash and it's still restricted in which size they can be and how much view they can restrict.
You're allowed to have GPS systems attached to your front windshield as long as it's mounted in the lower left and or lower right hand corner... You can't have it anywhere else on the windshield, legally...
Old 09-17-2010, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
I love to visit CA, but it way too fascist for me to ever consider living there. You guys need to pay more attention to who you elect.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Always had 35%-40% medium on my cars front windows. Darker than that's not my thing and it becomes hard to see in your wing mirrors. Never had an issue, though I'll sometimes open the sun shade or roll a window down if I see a bike cop, but if they're too close when you roll down a window you just end up looking suspicious. Life not putting a front plate on certain cars (one ticket from a metermaid in 2years), there's some things where the benefits outweigh the possible negatives.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:10 PM

2007 Camry
Been looking at the tinting laws

Originally Posted by mikey33
Been pulled over once for tint, but luckily I have a doctor who wrote me a prescription saying I need the tint to protect my sensitive eyes
I noticed you are in AZ so thought I would share info I saw when I was looking up the tinting laws in CA.

Medical Exceptions: California law doesn't allow any medical exemptions that would allow you use special tint.

Last edited by drewc; 06-17-2015 at 08:11 PM. Reason: enoji
Old 06-18-2015, 08:14 AM
J J

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't have any tint on the front windows. I got pulled over 3 times in one week in my prius for tint.

My cls has no tint, no front or rear plates and I have never been pulled over in the year I've had the car.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'72 Fleedwoot
You definitely don't want more tint than you need as it makes it hard to see out of the car, especially at night for pedestrians and animals. Where I live there are no tint laws and my vehicle has 10% tint on side and rear windows as a carjacking deterrent. I can't see much out the rear or side mirrors at night, other than headlights (for those vehicles using them). Using sunglasses, even in bright sunlight, is completely out of the question, which sucks for summer road trips.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Tinted Windows

Originally Posted by J J
Can't have any tint on the front windows. I got pulled over 3 times in one week in my prius for tint.

My cls has no tint, no front or rear plates and I have never been pulled over in the year I've had the car.
This thread a bit old but I just picked up a 2013 C63 AMG with performance package and a long list of stuff on it.
It came with very dark tinted windows.
BC law prohibits any window forward of a line drawn through the driver's shoulders across the car from being tinted so it is coming off.
In spite of all the advice about working slow etc. using a hair dryer or steamer it was pretty difficult not to leave adhesive on the glass.
Heating it softened it so it just smeared.
I razor scrapped the worst off and experimented with acetone, the old WD40 trick and found that super clean tar and grease remover did the best job. I just used a rag and put it on the rag.
It took about 30 minutes from start to a perfectly clean window on the driver's side.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:38 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Welcome to the area bud. I live in the Santa Barbara area just a little north of you. I have had a black on black Tahoe with the windows tinted 15% and never had an issue. My E55 has a lighter tint but definitely enough to know its illegal and I've never had an issue. As many others have stated its mostly luck of the draw. I have had a police officer friend tell me as long as he can see an outline of a person he doesn't bother. Just a matter of whether or not you want to deal with it I guess. I am new to the AMG world so hit me up if you ever wanna talk shop or need to know anything else about the area.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 E55
Honestly its cheaper for me to pay the tiny ticket in CA than it is to have the tint removed, ticket signed off and then reinstall the tint for another 2-300$. the only time I got a tint ticket (15%) was for doing 91 in a 70. IMO the tint ticket was really just to rub it in. I get it. Make it it ****ty experience so you're less likely to speed. He also could of got me for 90 so I could do go to traffic school but he opted not too . Buy your ticket take your chances and try to follow the most important rule of the road: "1 crime at a time" lol