W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you say if you found out that a "reputable" Tuner was lying about mods?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL65
What would you say if you found out that a "reputable" Tuner was lying about mods?

Let's say in a TOTALLY hypothetical situation that someone on this board gathered conclusive proof that a Tuner was blatantly misrepresenting the performance of their tunes and supporting mods. Should this person disclose these facts or should the truth come out? I can see a street racer or hustler misrepresent their set up in hopes of luring an unknowing opponent into a money race, but a Tuner? Is it right for a Tuner to flat out lie about the extent of the mods and upgraded components that are on a shop/customer car in order drive sales and make their tunes appear more capable? Let's also suppose that this tuner had all the employees sign a legal document to not disclose these "secret mods" under the threat of a major lawsuit? Would the existence of such a document mean that they are protecting their IP or hiding something? Again, totally hypothetical

Last edited by MarkoCL65; 09-13-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by MarkoCL65
Let's say in a TOTALLY hypothetical situation that someone on this board gathered conclusive proof that a Tuner was blatantly misrepresenting the performance of their tunes and supporting mods. Should this person disclose these facts or should the truth come out? I can see a street racer or hustler misrepresent their set up in hopes of luring an unknowing opponent into a money race, but a Tuner? Is it right for a Tuner to flat out lie about the extent of the mods and upgraded components that are on a shop/customer car in order drive sales and make their tunes appear more capable? Let's also suppose that this tuner had all the employees sign a legal document to not disclose these "secret mods" under the threat of a major lawsuit? Would the existence of such a document mean that they are protecting their IP or hiding something? Again, totally hypothetical
We we all know its not hypothetical or this post would not have occurred. So lets have at it and reveal the tuner. Tuners/Sponsors get called out here all the time and they have the right to rebutt and retort. Then when both sides have had their say, Ill close the thread
Old 09-13-2010, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Let's say in a TOTALLY hypothetical situation that someone on this board gathered conclusive proof that a Tuner was blatantly misrepresenting the performance of their tunes and supporting mods. Should this person disclose these facts or should the truth come out? I can see a street racer or hustler misrepresent their set up in hopes of luring an unknowing opponent into a money race, but a Tuner? Is it right for a Tuner to flat out lie about the extent of the mods and upgraded components that are on a shop/customer car in order to make their tunes appear more capable? Let's also suppose that this tuner had all the employees sign a legal document to not disclose these "secret mods" under the threat of a major lawsuit? Would the existence of such a document mean that they are protecting their IP or hiding something? Again, totally hypothetical
This someone should share this knowledge with the forum in an objective facts only manner. Hypothetically of course.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Yes, this person should disclose such information to help prevent others from falling into the same trap. Otherwise, many unsuspecting victims will continue to get deceived, which essentially keeps benefiting the deceitful tuner, and in deed encouraging them to do even more.

I think I already know who we are talking about.... hypothetically of course

Last edited by MB_Forever; 09-13-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
spill the beans
Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by Vic55
We we all know its not hypothetical or this post would not have occurred. So lets have at it and reveal the tuner. Tuners/Sponsors get called out here all the time and they have the right to rebutt and retort. Then when both sides have had their say, Ill close the thread
So you'll close the thread before we get to hear everyone's input? It's been up only a few minutes? Can we discuss first? It is hypothetical you know.....
Old 09-13-2010, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
You wouldn't be talking about tuners that have certain parts like for the sake of argument fuel injectors "Custom Built" when in fact they are buying parts off the shelf and marking them up
Old 09-13-2010, 07:17 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
You wouldn't be talking about tuners that have certain parts like for the sake of argument fuel injectors "Custom Built" when in fact they are buying parts off the shelf and marking them up
Not at all. It's more like "Our car runs XX.XX @XXX.XX with only a tune and exhaust" when in reality major components have been changed and there is more than just compressed air from turbos going into the intake system.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I, for one, am very interested in this hypothetical story.

Sounds like someone has been caught using NOS.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
im guessing your talking about the v12 turbo record car
Old 09-13-2010, 07:21 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
For legal reasons it has to remain hypothetical....for now.....

So the question is......what would you do if you were in that situation? Hypothetically there is a legal document in effect which could expose a hypothetical former employee/emloyees of this Tuner to a lawsuit.......
Old 09-13-2010, 07:24 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama

Sounds like someone has been caught using NOS.
Steel braided lines......not sure what's flowing through them
Old 09-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Marko!!! Wussup man?

Dunno who or what it is you are referring to but misrepresenting your products in order to increase sales has to be illegal right? False advertisement. It's obviously wrong. Meth injection? E85?

PS you know if you say anything bad about a sponsor on here it will be deleted or you will be deleted lol So lets keep it hypothetical and give out clues hahaha

Edit: stainless lines going to intake? Either nitrous or fuel. And nobody sprays extra fuel without a little spray

Last edited by blackbenzz; 09-13-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Marko!!! Wussup man?

Dunno who or what it is you are referring to but misrepresenting your products in order to increase sales has to be illegal right? False advertisement. It's obviously wrong. Meth injection? E85?

PS you know if you say anything bad about a sponsor on here it will be deleted or you will be deleted lol So lets keep it hypothetical and give out clues hahaha
What up you Crazy ****! Yeah it has to be illegal, I would think. I thought when I bought my first Michael Jordan shoes I'd be able to dunk like Mike!! Nike didn't say it directly but they sort of implied it.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
What up you Crazy ****! Yeah it has to be illegal, I would think. I thought when I bought my first Michael Jordan shoes I'd be able to dunk like Mike!! Nike didn't say it directly but they sort of implied it.
Haha you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to lower the rim!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
So you'll close the thread before we get to hear everyone's input? It's been up only a few minutes? Can we discuss first? It is hypothetical you know.....
ummmmmm No- I think you mis read my post. I said both sides would chime in first and have their say. I then followed with smilies so really I was joking. Its just that having had to close many threads of tuner/sponsor disagreement- we generally allow for the involved parties to dialogue and then the peanut gallery posts and then it gets into supposition instead of factual. At that point the thread has gone off tangent so we close them down. Since this is a hypo thread, no worries

Im not closing anything- please continue
Old 09-13-2010, 08:32 PM

Porsche 996TT, BMW 335i and NOW A 04' E55!!!
Hmm, Marko is from Chicago. What other tuner is in Chicago? Hmmm
Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
Remmtech ?

Originally Posted by g354080
Hmm, Marko is from Chicago. What other tuner is in Chicago? Hmmm
Old 09-13-2010, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
non-disclosure agreements are common and (can be) legally binding. However, if an illegal fraud is that which is not being disclosed, the non-disclosing parties might be considered acessories to that fraud, or maybe even co-conspirators (felony?), and if so, that NDA is (probably) null and void.

the hypothetical employees under threat of suit should consult with a not-so-hypothetical lawyer, and they better be damn sure what's being hypothetically covered up is in fact illegal.

I'm not a lawyer, but I spent a night in jail back in 1981 .
Old 09-13-2010, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
this is going to get interesting.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
So that's how this V12 outrapped your 65 huh? ....Naughty, Naughty naughtyyyy!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
Another homo hypothetical story....someone PM me when the beans are spilt
Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I guessed @ this when the record was broken, Hypothetically RENNtech's CL65 owned by SGC? Hmmmmm just a Hypothetical guess... He said he had tried Meth but removed it as it showed ZERO improvements Maybe a small shot of Nitrous
Old 09-13-2010, 10:01 PM

2006 E55

Decisions....decisions....

You must know this isnt the first time this has happened here or anywhere else do you? I was involved with a very prominate Dodge/Chrysler/SRT8 tuner who was garnered with accolades from Speed TV, Road and Track and the attention of DaimlerChrysler. Of course what he presented or represented did not always work the way it was suppossed to to the general public or Chrysler consumer.

It is always the "right thing to do" to expose these type of "shamsters", however are you ready for a frivoulous lawsuit, say for Libel/Slander or if a contract such as a Non Disclosure Agreement is in play a lawsuit claiming loss of income? In this economy it is the thing to do because now is the time when the herds of vendors who dont meet expectations will get thinned out. On the otherside will that vendor claim you hurt him financially? Of course he has to prove it in Court and that wont be cheap for him either.

Having been an old school Ford, Chevy, Chrysler guy I have been fleeced a few times. I see some of the claims and pricing from some of these suppliers and have to bite down hard on my tongue and not comment!!

I applaud the DIY guys...it sure is helping me not reinvent the wheel.......but I give some vendors their due because they did all the work, and most times they are the only game in town. Some of the ECU/TCM mods I see here have already been done by the Chrysler guys and dont understand the mystery behind Siemens/Bosch system.

Back to the original question.......how lucky do you feel?

Last edited by sgtstanko; 09-13-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I guess another question would be: how does this "board member" have intimate knowledge and "conclusive proof" that these hypothetical steel braided lines that are a conduit for an "unknown substance" exist. Unless of course this board member is employed by the hypothetical tuner or has at least seen the hypothetical car up close.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: What would you say if you found out that a "reputable" Tuner was lying about mods?