W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynoing my car for the first time this weekend. Any tips or tricks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
Dynoing my car for the first time this weekend. Any tips or tricks?

Hi guys. I'm dynoing my car for the first time this weekend. Any tips or tricks? I've read about an ECU reset, Dyno mode, ESP off, etc. Any of these methods do anything? Any other methods do anything at all? If any of those methods work, how do I reset the ECU? A buddy of mine is bringing his as well and he has a small ECU tune. If he resets his, does he lose his custom tune? Thx!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
My advice:

After you dyno you car, take those numbers and throw them out the window. Then take your car down the 1/4 mile and look at trap speed. That's the true measure of horsepower. Dyno numbers are really worthless, unless you're going to tune your car while it's on that dyno. Then you can look at the difference between your pre tune/post tune numbers to show gains.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
My advice:

After you dyno you car, take those numbers and throw them out the window. Then take your car down the 1/4 mile and look at trap speed. That's the true measure of horsepower. Dyno numbers are really worthless, unless you're going to tune your car while it's on that dyno. Then you can look at the difference between your pre tune/post tune numbers to show gains.
Some members think trap speed means nothing

Its good to get a baseline and a few stock 1/4 pulls to see where your car stands before modding it.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Okay, first up, you need the car to be in dyno mode or the car will think the tires are spinning (front stable, rear not) and kick in major ESP to slow down the car.

Get is how to get to dyno mode
...cls MAY be different than E55. Check with the CLS guys for sure.

Once in dyno you do not have to worry about ESP or anything else. Just put the car in M tranny mode so you can manually shift it on the dyno. Once the guy is ready for you to run.....slowly get the car going in 1st then GENTLY shift it up to 2, then 3....then 4 and signal to him that you are ready to go. Car will be going around 30-40mph, once he gives you the thumbs up, HAMMER it until she comes all the way up to redline, then let off and put in neutral if you can. VERY IMPORTANT not to hit the brakes (or at least ask the operator if he wants you to). Good dynos have their own brakes and will slow the car down for you. Those roller are massive and if you locks those brakes up, all hell is gonna break loose.
If he wants you to slow it down...very gentle.

Sneaky ECU reset really doesn't help much on the dyno as it basically just resets tranny shift patterns.

Other than that, if you are stock and your friend does not have cooling mods, you won't get many runs in before the cars heat soak and really reduce power.

So I would get there early and pop the hood and have it cool off as much as possible before running.

Make sure the operator is all set to go as again you will maybe get 2 pulls tops before the car really gets hot and pulls timing hard.

It's a fun experience, have fun. Always great to watch the operators eyes blow wide open when a 4 door luxury liner pulls 400s on the dyno.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 09-14-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
Try to stay off boost on the way there also.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by skratch77
Some members think trap speed means nothing

Its good to get a baseline and a few stock 1/4 pulls to see where your car stands before modding it.
Only if you running at Sactown.

True, if he's going to mod, then a baseline is a good idea. The problem is, he'd have to go back to the same dyno, have the same dyno operator, in the same type of ambient conditions, to have a good idea of gains.

As we all know, he could dyno is car today, and get X results. Take that car back to the same dyno tomorrow, and get Y results. That's why it's so important to tune while on the dyno. Even unstrapping the car and strapping it back down can yield different numbers.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 09-14-2010 at 11:08 AM.