W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air conditioner to cool down IAT...is it possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by AgSilver
I have a couple of questions: (1) On a long (let's say 25 seconds) WOT pull will the IAT remain substantially lower? In other words, is there sufficient BTU capacity to maintain lower IAT for more than a few seconds? (2) What is the recovery time after a WOT pull? I would assume most of you don't need reduced IAT for more than 12 seconds.

The KC videos are impressive, however the pulls are for only a few seconds, so we don't know what the IAT's would be beyond that.
AgSilver I have not seen one creditable Super Heat calculation for this mod.
This is one thing that would be the first consideration in the design phase.
I think that this mod is being misrepresented here, and you are on the right track questioning the BTUs.
We all know how long it takes for the AC to cool off the car in the summer heat, and the interior volume is what 120 cu feet. Now our kompressor moves a volume of at least 600 cubic feet of air (@130+degrees) in one minute @4800 RPM.
So lets have KC post up how this actually works and for how long.
I think we will find it is short lived and may take a long time to recover, perfect for 1/4 drags but I don't see how this could be used for any sustained period of time.

BTW Yes our AC compressor is on all the time, but it is variable displacement so the load or parasitic drag is variable as well.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
I think that this mod is being misrepresented here, and you are on the right track questioning the BTUs.
We all know how long it takes for the AC to cool off the car in the summer heat, and the interior volume is what 120 cu feet. Now our kompressor moves a volume of at least 600 cubic feet of air (@130+degrees) in one minute @4800 RPM.
I think we will find it is short lived and may take a long time to recover, perfect for 1/4 drags but I don't see how this could be used for any sustained period of time.

BTW Yes our AC compressor is on all the time, but it is variable displacement so the load or parasitic drag is variable as well.
How has this mod been misrepresented? From what I've seen and read testing is still in the works.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:05 PM

Mercedes E55
Old 10-04-2010, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bassn_07
How has this mod been misrepresented? From what I've seen and read testing is still in the works.
I just think that people will think that this will replace their FMI for cars driven daily.
Testing is one thing, the theory needs to be on paper first. I don't see how an AC system that has maybe 5000 BTUs can sustain cooling the charge air.
I just want you guys to think this through, ask questions, first of which should be, show me the superheat calculations.

So before everybody buys it, I think we need to know exactly how much heat it can pull out of our intake charge and for how long.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
well this killerchiller maybe good for a short busts of WOT, as Bassn07 said he has seen the system work.
Yatch Master is also correct by asking as to how long can this system sustain cooling the fluid in the heat exchanger.
We have to remember, mod your car so it will suit your purpose. for the 1/4 mile guys this system maybe a break through in controling IATs for the circuit/track guys this system may be less effective.
this is just my 2 cents, before people start bashing each other.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI

You got it! Heat Transfer, Heat Transfer, Heat Transfer - - - how 'ya gonna do that? Quite frankly you can probably get the IC's cooled down quicker and cooler and granted, that will help by starting from a lower point thus providing a few extra seconds of ignition advance, but the latent heat of compression (I had a serious refrigeration business many years ago to support my addictions) will always create far more heat than the stock IC's can transfer. Gotsta' have higher capacity IC's.

Attached Thumbnails air conditioner to cool down IAT...is it possible?-copy-p9290072a1.jpg  

Last edited by AgSilver; 10-04-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by shardul
that is impressive... 7:45.
post some pics up i always enjoy seeing some ring beauties.
Only impressive if we can do it - -- stay tuned
Old 10-04-2010, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
well this killerchiller maybe good for a short busts of WOT, as Bassn07 said he has seen the system work.
Yatch Master is also correct by asking as to how long can this system sustain cooling the fluid in the heat exchanger.
We have to remember, mod your car so it will suit your purpose. for the 1/4 mile guys this system maybe a break through in controling IATs for the circuit/track guys this system may be less effective.
I fully agree with you Shardul and I've always said this, mod your car according to your needs.

Myself, I live for the 1/4 mile and love doing it. All of my testing has been done at the drag strip and always will be. I have no intentions on testing a product that doesn't fit my needs, I'll let that group of people do that themselves.

I would have to believe that this system would help regardless of the application. Obviously it will have the most benefits on the drag strip or short bursts out on the streets. Even in the 1 mile events starting at 30-40 below ambient will definitely have it's benefits over starting at 20 above. Will that reduction in IAT's be linear over the course of the mile, I have no idea. My guess would be probably not but you will gain the advantages of cooler IAT's up to a certain speed. I've seen two very similar modded E55's run at the drag strip and one without the KC finish at 170+ degrees and the one with finish at 130 degrees. I was sold on the system after I watched Scott hot lap his car with very consistent times.

Course racing is a whole different ball game and I have no idea what the gains would be if any. In theory it should help but until someone is willing to test it, a theory it will remain.

Just keep in mind that Scott isn't here trying to make a quick dollar but instead trying to help the community with a product he's testing. When I say testing, it's on his 06 E55, his own dollar, and his spare time after work. He's just an enthusiast trying to help resolve an issue that has plagued our platform for the past 7 years.

I have really don't have anything else more to add and my next post on this subject will be after testing. You guys could theorize all day long, I'll be getting some live data at the track...good luck!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh, no not bashing anyone. And maybe my choice of words was poor, I did not mean that Bassn was misrepresenting the system.
A better choice would have been, we are hearing the good part, and we like it, Now what don't we know about it? Apologies to Bassn
Old 10-04-2010, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
im still on the waiting list

if it helps in the drag it will help in the street WOT
Old 10-04-2010, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Oh, no not bashing anyone. And maybe my choice of words was poor, I did not mean that Bassn was misrepresenting the system.
A better choice would have been, we are hearing the good part, and we like it, Now what don't we know about it? Apologies to Bassn
No worries.

I really don't have all the answers and can't accurately answer some of the questions asked. All though I do know that every concern I had has been satisfied to the fullest. These kits have been around for a while and there a ton of other cars running them with no problems. Is there anything that makes our cars that much more unique over them?

The same thing happened about methanol, since no one has really done it successfully on our cars people thought they were a big no no. Along comes Sneakyneon, a old school racer that applies the same thoughts to our MB's as he did with other boosted cars and successfully gets it working. Now we have plenty of people on the boards wanting/already completed the meth install.

Change is good and I'm glad we have plenty of people on the boards willing to explore. I'm willing to test and prove out his setup on my car and I promise to report back with my findings.

Stay tuned!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
Wouldn't it be neat to have a valve that could change the flow of fluid from the IC->H/E->KC direction of flow to IC->KC thereby passing the H/E? Either by a hard wired switch inside the cabin or a thermostat?

Even cooler would be a logic filled switch that would direct fluid to the H/E until the fluid got to ambient tempature and then directed it solely to the KC until the fluid temps rose again.

Makes sense in my head anyway.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
To me this kit could best be used to cool down the rear tank reservoir... particularly when you are waiting... it just runs full time cooling down the reservoir tank. This can then circulate and cool down the s/c too... while you wait - or off boost.

Thats what I am after ... a system I can switch on to cool down my tank with having to chuck ice in and drain out hot coolant.

Not sure having this feed the I/C directly is the best way apply this unit.... lets see whet the testing brings.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:16 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by stevebez
To me this kit could best be used to cool down the rear tank reservoir... particularly when you are waiting... it just runs full time cooling down the reservoir tank. This can then circulate and cool down the s/c too... while you wait - or off boost.

Thats what I am after ... a system I can switch on to cool down my tank with having to chuck ice in and drain out hot coolant.

Not sure having this feed the I/C directly is the best way apply this unit.... lets see whet the testing brings.
I think this is the best answear IMO, a small one gallon tank that the killer chiller can cool down between rounds or before a street battle. Think of it as a substitute for Ice. Scotts using with out a seprate tank and still having great results only makes sense that it would work better with a cooling tank. I look foward to seeing this progress!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 e55
actually it's so the AC compressor is switched off at full throttle. How will the cooling operate at full throttle?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
I called them and they said $750 for the E55 AMG. So I guess it's available.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:23 AM

06 E55, 03FORD P/S,01 E320-4M,99 ML320,O4 E55,05 RUBICON UNLIMITED,
They don't have a kit,yet,they have the parts list of what they supplied me w/ no install instructions.After my next install i'll have solid pricing/parts/general install/pictures list,hopefully in the next week.also I ran the race kit,where you turn off your interior cooling effect and everything is concentrated on the kc core resulting in even lower iat's.I've had some issue w/ this setup,if this valve fails you will get no in cab a/c,the valve they use is normally closed.all the iat #'s I have achieved have been w/o a split reservoir and no race valve setup.
Attached Thumbnails air conditioner to cool down IAT...is it possible?-killer-chiller-e55010.jpg  
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Originally Posted by MBTEK
They don't have a kit,yet,they have the parts list of what they supplied me w/ no install instructions.After my next install i'll have solid pricing/parts/general install/pictures list,hopefully in the next week.also I ran the race kit,where you turn off your interior cooling effect and everything is concentrated on the kc core resulting in even lower iat's.I've had some issue w/ this setup,if this valve fails you will get no in cab a/c,the valve they use is normally closed.all the iat #'s I have achieved have been w/o a split reservoir and no race valve setup.
Thanks MBTEK, I'll wait for your result.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
If we can control the heat, does this mean we can run lager pulleys? say 205mm?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55Bullet
If we can control the heat, does this mean we can run lager pulleys? say 205mm?
Not sure, but I have the 185 right now and if someone offered me a trade on a ASP 180 pulley I would consider it.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by bassn_07
Not sure, but I have the 185 right now and if someone offered me a trade on a ASP 180 pulley I would consider it.
Why is that?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Luke_M
Why is that?

Im guessing because his intake temps are getting too high haha..jk
Old 10-07-2010, 10:53 PM

ha ha You would think so but with what he's said about his IAT's using water/meth injection and his intention to use this killerchiller (which I think sounds awesome) I was surprised to read this. I know Alan doesn't just do something for the heck of it.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Luke_M
ha ha You would think so but with what he's said about his IAT's using water/meth injection and his intention to use this killerchiller (which I think sounds awesome) I was surprised to read this. I know Alan doesn't just do something for the heck of it.

This is true, I have heard about some people not liking the "jerky-ness" of a larger pulley...But that would be a drive-ability thing, not a 10 sec pass thing, which is what ol' Alan is up to...
Old 10-08-2010, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
S/C parasytic losses and efficiency starts going haywire when you spin these things too fast....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: air conditioner to cool down IAT...is it possible?