W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential buyer interested in E55 AMG 2005ish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
MB: E55 AMG, CL550, E3004M Cab + other makes :)
Potential buyer interested in E55 AMG 2005ish

hey MB enthusiasts,
I'm thinking of selling my car (Infiniti FX35)
And am in the market for a 2005ish E55 AMG
I was curious about any know issues/problems with that model especially after passing the 50k mark, since the ones I would be able afford are in that mileage range.
I realize that from the factory, these pack a pretty powerful punch...
11's in the 1/4 and close to 500 hp
So basically, Ill be doing my research on this forum for info and check back here to see if theres any specific issues to look out for.
thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2010, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by jbaker1121
hey MB enthusiasts,
I'm thinking of selling my car (Infiniti FX35)
And am in the market for a 2005ish E55 AMG
I was curious about any know issues/problems with that model especially after passing the 50k mark, since the ones I would be able afford are in that mileage range.
I realize that from the factory, these pack a pretty powerful punch...
11's in the 1/4 and close to 500 hp
So basically, Ill be doing my research on this forum for info and check back here to see if theres any specific issues to look out for.
thanks in advance
I'm no where near the 50k mark (19k) but you may have some issue's with the airmatic leaking, you may and most likely should replace the intercooler pump, you may have to replace the motor & tranny mounts oh and you may have a fly stuck in your tail light while 11's possible do not be disapointed if it does not run 11's but with a few mods mid 11's is possible as well as low 11's.

Happy Hunting
Old 10-06-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
I'm no where near the 50k mark (19k) but you may have some issue's with the airmatic leaking, you may and most likely should replace the intercooler pump, you may have to replace the motor & tranny mounts oh and you may have a fly stuck in your tail light while 11's possible do not be disapointed if it does not run 11's but with a few mods mid 11's is possible as well as low 11's.

Happy Hunting
Nice haha. I am going to try stage 2(pulley, ECu, upgraded intercooler, right?) so will be replacing some of that stuff anyway. And im sure with all the tq the engine mounts and tranny mounts will shatter haha
I've been doing some websearch about the car, saw some slip times for anywhere between 10.3 stage 2 to a 12.7 stock, 450 hp to 510 hp
and saw like the renntech stage 2 upgrades, FMIC, etc.

I can sell my car (hopefully) for around 20 (according to kbb) and then sell all the crap I've got done to it (ranging from R35 GTR wheels to the intake and woofers) and probably get close to just under 30k. So according to ebay searched and CPO at some dealers, I should be able to grab an e55 with around 50-60k for around that price (correct me If I'm wrong)

Then, ECU, PULLEY, Exhaust, FMIC + cooling upgrades, stage 2? should set me back around 6k, correct?
so about 35K for a low 11's 500hp lux sedan....sounds good to me haha. I better start reading on this forum....
does anbody know if you can adjsut the factory suspension to act like coilovers or airbaags (to slam) Because i've heard you can adjust factory Benz suspension to slam the car...
thanks1
Old 10-06-2010, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
Search, but I don't see any repetitive problems save for the intercooler pump. Airmatic is not as common as it's made out to be. You have r35 whels on an fx?? Pics please.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by itsmeek
Search, but I don't see any repetitive problems save for the intercooler pump. Airmatic is not as common as it's made out to be. You have r35 whels on an fx?? Pics please.
For the intercooler pump, is there an available upgrade for it? If so I would just do that immediately instead of waiting for it to die haha.
For the airmatic, is that just the air struts failing? SHouldnt be as popular a problem then haha.
I'm searching if theres a way to "slam" it with the factory adjustable air suspension....

and yeah, R35 Staggered 20's painted Phantom black metallic (new Evo color) among other mods

Potential buyer interested in E55 AMG 2005ish-fx_meet5_2010-8.jpg
Potential buyer interested in E55 AMG 2005ish-hellaangle.jpg
Potential buyer interested in E55 AMG 2005ish-dsc02414.jpg
Potential buyer interested in E55 AMG 2005ish-dsc02419.jpg
Potential buyer interested in E55 AMG 2005ish-dsc02326.jpg

Potential buyer interested in E55 AMG 2005ish-dsc02505.jpg
Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
oh and you may have a fly stuck in your tail light
I suffer from this manufacturer defect ever 2 months lol.

For the intercooler pump, is there an available upgrade for it? If so I would just do that immediately instead of waiting for it to die haha.
For the airmatic, is that just the air struts failing? SHouldnt be as popular a problem then haha.
I'm searching if theres a way to "slam" it with the factory adjustable air suspension....

and yeah, R35 Staggered 20's painted Phantom black metallic (new Evo color) among other mods

Ya there are tons of upgrades for the IC pump. And while your at it you might as well split the cooling circuit and get a bigger heat exchanger. There are too many ways to slam these cars, from a dollars worth of washers to actually changing settings in STAR (stickied above) to the best which would be a nice lowering module. They are fun cars and you have a sick looking fx
Old 10-06-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by tgoss
I suffer from this manufacturer defect ever 2 months lol.

Ya there are tons of upgrades for the IC pump. And while your at it you might as well split the cooling circuit and get a bigger heat exchanger. There are too many ways to slam these cars, from a dollars worth of washers to actually changing settings in STAR (stickied above) to the best which would be a nice lowering module. They are fun cars and you have a sick looking fx
haha oh man, flies in the HL! I would tint them/paint the housing anyway.(would murder it out anyways...looking at a set of ADV.1's for it)
I would deff upgrade the cooling right away, maybe even as the first mods.
I would deff go for the lowering module or STAR setting change...
They look like awesome cars and My family has always been benz lovers....grandfather has a CL63 and had the SL63 before that....and is looking at the SLS lol. My mom has a R350 and had an s430 before that, E350 before that. So yeah, My fam loves benz's.

And thank you, haha it's a money pit and a slow pig. lol

and about searching...i dont really know what to search for haha. I've been lurking around looking at pictures and reading people's builds, but still need to get a general Idea

my ideas for "my" car:

Black/Black
Paint grille/chrome accents Black
Black wheels, looking at ADV.1's koncave or maybe a deep dish wheel
Slam it. Either change the STAR settings or get the lowering module (need to search)
I was as much HP for a reasonabble cost as possible...the car is already 11's factory with almost 500hp
So does that include upgraded pulley, ECU tuning, lighter wheels cooling upgrade (deff pump, etc .) maybe even a small 75 shot.I
I'm a fan of Sleepers :-D
Exterior, trunk lid lip and rear roof lip, front lip and flat hood badge

I'm trying to search the site for a car fitting the descrip, otherwise time for photoshop haha
Can anybody help with approx costs or other recommended mods to the ones listed? anything for the tranny needed?

also, stupid question time.
2005 E55, 5.5L v8. Kompressor, correct?
2006 E55, 5.5L v8 Kompressor, correct? ANd also has slight facelift.....right?
any other differences between the years?

Appreciate it guys

Last edited by jbaker1121; 10-06-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That looks SICK. Johnson CM30 is the replacement for the ic pump, a cm90 pump will also work but hasn't shown any true benefits. Look up, lowering with washers for a way to drop your E55 for under $3.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:55 PM

That looks SICK. Johnson CM30 is the replacement for the ic pump, a cm90 pump will also work but hasn't shown any true benefits. Look up, lowering with washers for a way to drop your E55 for under $3.
Thanks haha. I'll look up pricing on those pumps.
As for the lowering, I'd rather spend the $300 to buy the module than the $5 for a few washers...because I know the module is the safer route and more controllable.

For the ECU, do people recommend a plug and play ECU upgrade, or custom Tune with a piggyback?
Also, FMIC....whats the deal with that for you e55 guys

I guess people keep their e55's...I hardly see any online for local dealers...

Last edited by jbaker1121; 10-06-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Custom tune, heat exchanger upgrade, no fmic on a water cooled supercharger. Search button
Old 10-06-2010, 01:09 PM

Custom tune, heat exchanger upgrade, no fmic on a water cooled supercharger. Search button
haha I did search I swear!
been cruising the site for a bit including during class haha

saw the eurotek lip and rear lips...look good.
haha
Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

haha oh man, flies in the HL! I would tint them/paint the housing anyway.(would murder it out anyways...looking at a set of ADV.1's for it)
I would deff upgrade the cooling right away, maybe even as the first mods.
I would deff go for the lowering module or STAR setting change...
They look like awesome cars and My family has always been benz lovers....grandfather has a CL63 and had the SL63 before that....and is looking at the SLS lol. My mom has a R350 and had an s430 before that, E350 before that. So yeah, My fam loves benz's.

And thank you, haha it's a money pit and a slow pig. lol

and about searching...i dont really know what to search for haha. I've been lurking around looking at pictures and reading people's builds, but still need to get a general Idea

my ideas for "my" car:

Black/Black
Paint grille/chrome accents Black
Black wheels, looking at ADV.1's koncave or maybe a deep dish wheel
Slam it. Either change the STAR settings or get the lowering module (need to search)
I was as much HP for a reasonabble cost as possible...the car is already 11's factory with almost 500hp
So does that include upgraded pulley, ECU tuning, lighter wheels cooling upgrade (deff pump, etc .) maybe even a small 75 shot.I
I'm a fan of Sleepers :-D
Exterior, trunk lid lip and rear roof lip, front lip and flat hood badge

I'm trying to search the site for a car fitting the descrip, otherwise time for photoshop haha
Can anybody help with approx costs or other recommended mods to the ones listed? anything for the tranny needed?

also, stupid question time.
2005 E55, 5.5L v8. Kompressor, correct?
2006 E55, 5.5L v8 Kompressor, correct? ANd also has slight facelift.....right?
any other differences between the years?

Appreciate it guys
If you are looking for a sick murdered out car then look in the picture thread at the last page. AMGfan put up some pics of his E55 and it is without a doubt the most stunning example of a modded 55k.

As for your question there is no facelift. In 2007 they swapped the 55k out for the 6.2L NA V8 and that year was the face lifted W211. A lot of us have used those bumpers on our cars. It's a great upgrade.

If you want 500whp then you're looking at pulley, headers, 80-82mm throttle body and a tune. And do your research on brands. A lot of it. You're going to be tinkering around with a engine which the cost of replacing will more than likely be 80-90% of your entire cars worth. The tranny is a workhorse, no upgrade needed there. Also look into a quaife LSD, everyone running them here has convinced me that's an essential.

Happy searching
Old 10-07-2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by tgoss
If you are looking for a sick murdered out car then look in the picture thread at the last page. AMGfan put up some pics of his E55 and it is without a doubt the most stunning example of a modded 55k.

yeah I am in Love with his E55 haha...not a fan of all The CF everywhere though to be honest...technically its a weight saving material but he's added it on in places where it wasnt so...weight gain? haha

As for your question there is no facelift. In 2007 they swapped the 55k out for the 6.2L NA V8 and that year was the face lifted W211. A lot of us have used those bumpers on our cars. It's a great upgrade.

oh, okay that makes sense why they looked the same to me haha

If you want 500whp then you're looking at pulley, headers, 80-82mm throttle body and a tune. And do your research on brands. A lot of it. You're going to be tinkering around with a engine which the cost of replacing will more than likely be 80-90% of your entire cars worth. The tranny is a workhorse, no upgrade needed there. Also look into a quaife LSD, everyone running them here has convinced me that's an essential.

So, Pulley, headers, 80-82mm TB and a custom tune, and a quaife LSD. research time dont forget cooling upgrades! IC pump, etc

Happy searching
Thanks man, I'll keep searching...but find myself watching burnout and exhaust videos on youtube hahahah...thanks for the help. I'll look around for pricing and such...
Old 10-07-2010, 05:22 AM

Pulley: Renntech 168? Im not sure In understand the diff sizes...wouldnt smaller be better? Like 168 compared to 178? $1000ish
Headers: ss headers $1600ISH VRP/Kleeman/Renntech....needs tune to be effective
80-82mm TB: $800 fro 82mm
Heat exchanger: $500ish VRP stg3?
Custom tune: ECU/TCU upgrades? or go to shop for custom tune?
Quaife LSD: $1000
IC pUmp &
Cooling upgrades: $1500
Wheels: Concave something..looking at ADV.1's
Exhaust: will probably just gut the cats and remove resonator....sounds so good :-P

So yeah, looks like about $6600 for just upgrades...not including tune.
Which would you guys recommend doing in order?
I figured IC pump first, since it is rather important
then Pulley....then the rest
Somebody correct my prices if theyre off
Old 10-12-2010, 07:27 AM

updated my other thread....

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...ml#post4288703

any way a mod can just join the two together?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:30 AM

does anybody have an approx price of install for the mods? I've been trying to search but have really only found exhaust prices....
Old 10-25-2010, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

does anybody have an approx price of install for the mods? I've been trying to search but have really only found exhaust prices....
Price for pulley install: $400

Header install: $300
Old 10-25-2010, 09:43 PM

G8 GXP
I'm also considering picking up an E55 and this thread is very informative, especially for a newbie like myself. I wish there was a guide to buying a W211 E55 that included common issues, list of options, colors, common upgrades, etc. If I'm not mistaken, there is such a guide for the M3 and its quite impressive. Anyhow, jbaker1121, thanks for creating this thread and best of luck in finding the right E55.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e55
buy mine
Old 10-26-2010, 11:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
input on used E55's

I have an 04 with 62k on it. Reliability has not been an issue, did replace an alternator, that's it. Car is strong as anything and still makes me grin everytime I get behind the wheel. From what I've read, the even years of the kompressor have had fewer elictrical gremlins, consumer reports will back this up (just in general on the W211 E class). My car is bone stock and still a complete blast to drive, especially lining up next to someone in a vette or 911 (not turbo). Have also killed a handful of new Camaro's and Mustangs. The drivers of those cars will race anything that looks fast and have no clue what Kompressor means, other than "bye".

In a nutshell, the cars are solid as anything, a warranty is a good idea, and one that's been abused will be a money pit, but anything that's been abused will be a money pit. This board has tons of helpful threads on it that will help you save big money and time. I know you are looking at an 05, but really there's not any major difference in the four years the kompressor was made. Happy Hunting bro.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Drathen
I'm also considering picking up an E55 and this thread is very informative, especially for a newbie like myself. I wish there was a guide to buying a W211 E55 that included common issues, list of options, colors, common upgrades, etc. If I'm not mistaken, there is such a guide for the M3 and its quite impressive. Anyhow, jbaker1121, thanks for creating this thread and best of luck in finding the right E55.
Thanks man, hopefully I find the right one
They should make a sticky thread with that info...

Originally Posted by AWOL
buy mine
PM with pricing....yours is fast and I likee (just hate silver lol)

Originally Posted by WesttxJR
I have an 04 with 62k on it. Reliability has not been an issue, did replace an alternator, that's it. Car is strong as anything and still makes me grin everytime I get behind the wheel. From what I've read, the even years of the kompressor have had fewer elictrical gremlins, consumer reports will back this up (just in general on the W211 E class). My car is bone stock and still a complete blast to drive, especially lining up next to someone in a vette or 911 (not turbo). Have also killed a handful of new Camaro's and Mustangs. The drivers of those cars will race anything that looks fast and have no clue what Kompressor means, other than "bye".

In a nutshell, the cars are solid as anything, a warranty is a good idea, and one that's been abused will be a money pit, but anything that's been abused will be a money pit. This board has tons of helpful threads on it that will help you save big money and time. I know you are looking at an 05, but really there's not any major difference in the four years the kompressor was made. Happy Hunting bro.
haha yeah man,Trying to find a clean one that's sat in somebody's garage for 40kish miles haha
Thanks man
Old 10-27-2010, 05:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
where to look for an E55

There are four great markets for AMG's: Chicago, Phoenix, Dallas metro, and the entire state of FL. I hunted for my car for 8 months and bought it in Dallas a couple of years ago.

All I can tell you is inventory comes in waves and right now inventories across the board look slim. Give it a month or so and the next cycle of cars will hit. I've been watching the whole cycle now for over three years and it's pretty predictable. I bought mine when premium gas hit $4 and they were selling these cars by the pound! Recently there were two, one owner E55's online and I think neither sold. One was brilliant silver, the other tectite gray (freaking beatiful), both in the low 40's mileage wise.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by WesttxJR
There are four great markets for AMG's: Chicago, Phoenix, Dallas metro, and the entire state of FL. I hunted for my car for 8 months and bought it in Dallas a couple of years ago.

All I can tell you is inventory comes in waves and right now inventories across the board look slim. Give it a month or so and the next cycle of cars will hit. I've been watching the whole cycle now for over three years and it's pretty predictable. I bought mine when premium gas hit $4 and they were selling these cars by the pound! Recently there were two, one owner E55's online and I think neither sold. One was brilliant silver, the other tectite gray (freaking beatiful), both in the low 40's mileage wise.
yeah man shipping will kill me though :-/
thats why Im trying to get the car during winter break because the market will be better...easier to buy a RWD V8 in the winter and easier to sell an SUV with AWD in the winter.....so thats why Im trying to do it when I get back from the UK, during winter break before going back to school in January...(in PA)
I've been the czech republic and then italy for the past two weeks so really havent been able to look up cars much...I'll have to get on that this week...hopefully a nice one pops up....
black or tectite grey
do you have the links for the two you were talking about?
Old 08-01-2019, 08:49 AM

9 years and a few cars, life events, and adventures later, I picked up a super clean one-owner, dealer-maintained E55 as my new toy....

Time to re-read all these threads!

Last edited by jbaker1121; 08-01-2019 at 09:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MSG 55G (08-02-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 10:10 AM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2004 E55 AMG / 2019 Audi Q7
ha! i pulled a similar move as you - joined this forum in 2009, finally bought my e55 in 2018

Let's hear about the car!
The following users liked this post:
MSG 55G (08-02-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Potential buyer interested in E55 AMG 2005ish