Getting into my first MB: a few questions / advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
330i, e46 M3, e92 335i
Getting into my first MB: a few questions / advice needed

Hello all -

I've found an E63 that I like at a dealer halfway across the country. I've gleaned lots of useful information from reading this board but could use some assistance on a few aspects of the purchase:

1. The car is an '07 with about 35K miles. It is CPO. Many pics on the dealer website at good resolution - car looks great inside and out. I also have the CARFAX and it is clean. I suspect this means I don't need to have a PPI done. Do you more experienced MB buyers agree or do you think a PPI still needs to be done?

2. I will be asking for a VMI and the CPO checklist. Anything else I should ask for and review before moving forward?

3. I plan to buy an extended warranty: which one is best, the MB ELW? What cost is reasonable (I've seen numbers ranging from $3700 to $5600 on this board)?

4. As the car is so far away it will need to be transported to me. Should I ask the dealer to split this with me, etc.?

5. What fees get added on to MB purchase price and are they negotiable? I am used to BMWs (have driven them for 10 years) but I suspect MB has its own acronyms for "padding" items and I don't want to get suckered on them if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for all replies. As the car has everything I want (colors, options, etc.) I hope to move quickly if everything checks out. Please let me know if I need to provide additional information, etc. - and thanks again for everyone's time and effort.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by ogtel05
Hello all -

I've found an E63 that I like at a dealer halfway across the country. I've gleaned lots of useful information from reading this board but could use some assistance on a few aspects of the purchase:

1. The car is an '07 with about 35K miles. It is CPO. Many pics on the dealer website at good resolution - car looks great inside and out. I also have the CARFAX and it is clean. I suspect this means I don't need to have a PPI done. Do you more experienced MB buyers agree or do you think a PPI still needs to be done?

2. I will be asking for a VMI and the CPO checklist. Anything else I should ask for and review before moving forward?

3. I plan to buy an extended warranty: which one is best, the MB ELW? What cost is reasonable (I've seen numbers ranging from $3700 to $5600 on this board)?

4. As the car is so far away it will need to be transported to me. Should I ask the dealer to split this with me, etc.?

5. What fees get added on to MB purchase price and are they negotiable? I am used to BMWs (have driven them for 10 years) but I suspect MB has its own acronyms for "padding" items and I don't want to get suckered on them if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for all replies. As the car has everything I want (colors, options, etc.) I hope to move quickly if everything checks out. Please let me know if I need to provide additional information, etc. - and thanks again for everyone's time and effort.
1. MB Dealer w/ CPO warranty? + clean car fax, no PPI needed (my opinion)

2. VMI will help alot... ask before you pay for, not after before you buy they show everything if you request, after you pay they will say is a private information...

3. MB ELW / CPO o.k. try noy less than 3 years... 6 if you can !!

4. If you get a great price, good discount, I don't think they will split the cost... but ask for, show that if they don't split shipping, the deal will be in a limbo, if not they will say yes... and will add that money at your cost = you will pay for the full shipping charge, anyway dealer have a special quotes, maybe they can let you use this quote !! ask for too.

5. Depend on your location and dealer... in CA a saw MB dealer love to add wheels cost !! most of the times are the same factory rims... !! also pay attention on extras but don't let them see your happy face when they show you things like pano roof or parktronic.... just say I don't care about that... I just like the color...even if your heart go faster after look at the extra you dream about....

Check your brake pads if you can, if they look that need replace ask for... warranty don't replace brake pads... a little expensive service on a E63 !! My 2 cts.