W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you checked your Injector Duty Cycle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-Carro
Have you checked your Injector Duty Cycle?

I know this is old already but a lot of us STILL ignore it our cars run pig rich and we think our injectors will hold even when our tune shows safe AFR'S..I recently installed a meth kit on my car and Afr's dropped even more so here i am thinking its all good- well tx to the great team of guys working on my car and the Injector Duty Cycle monitor on my Meth kit + Datalogging device we saw IDC's were reaching 85% to 93% on 2nd-3rd gear pulls..they immediately told me you are out of injectors!!! Must upgrade!! For them 80-85% is the limit! They don't take risks! unless you are willing to take a chance and Blow up ur motor.This might only be an issue if you are involved in prolonged top end runs but then again is it worth taking a chance????

I immediately ordered me a set of 550cc's from FIVEOMOTORSPORTS (tx to sneakyneon for posting the part #) and threw them on yesterday car idles and drives the same only thing is that now the highest percentage rate i saw was 73-75% on a 120mph pull in 53f..I will need a re-tune but its something i needed even before i installed these..Thought i'd share

Last edited by LOCO 05' E55; 10-16-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
whats your a/f up top look like?
Old 10-16-2010, 01:04 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by skratch77
whats your a/f up top look like?
high 10's to low-mid 11's before the new injectors..will log it later on to see..
Old 10-16-2010, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
high 10's to low-mid 11's before the new injectors..will log it later on to see..
I think we can get away with 11.8-12.2 up top and still be safe,maybe your tune is running to much fuel up top and thats why your injectors are maxing out.

if your seeing high tens now wont the new injectors make you run even richer?
Old 10-16-2010, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Thats the reason I am running the EC offered 550's since they first came out. I never understood why people here were adversed to spending a realitively small amount of money for injectors to have an extra safety net of fuel overhead. For every other supercharged car that is modded, bigger injectors are recommended along with more boost. Anybody running a 180 pulley and a TB upgrade should also be running injectors in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:32 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by skratch77
I think we can get away with 11.8-12.2 up top and still be safe,maybe your tune is running to much fuel up top and thats why your injectors are maxing out.

if your seeing high tens now wont the new injectors make you run even richer?
Most likely, Whats your car running on top and whats your duty cycle? are you monitoring these?

i doubt leaning it out on on top will show a dramatic decrease on it..would be interesting to see though..I know of a couple cars with similar numbers. Plus the thread (EXOTICMETALS) has lots of info on this as well..it just shocked me to see it for myself!!
Old 10-16-2010, 01:36 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Thats the reason I am running the EC offered 550's since they first came out. I never understood why people here were adversed to spending a realitively small amount of money for injectors to have an extra safety net of fuel overhead. For every other supercharged car that is modded, bigger injectors are recommended along with more boost. Anybody running a 180 pulley and a TB upgrade should also be running injectors in my opinion.
+1
Old 10-16-2010, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
I've contemplated larger injectors for some time now and I still don't know if I need them. No, I haven't checked injector duty cycle but over a point of fuel still could be added to my current tune. Definitely not a clear indication of my IDC but this method was recommended to me by a very reputable member here on MBW. All my runs up to 140 mph is very solid in the AFR department and doesn't spike at all. Not to say that my injector duty cycle isn't higher than 85% but I still could add fuel and my current tune is still a bit rich.

Like I said, I'm still on the fence on whether or not to upgrade my injectors. I just hate the fact that i would need to get tuned all over again. After my last set of mods things didn't go very well and it's been a pain getting my car back to my standards.

Loco, how's the fitment on the injectors. Have you checked your LTFT and STFT's before and after? Thanks for posting.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Scaling for larger injectors is an easy task for a capable tuner.

LOCO, I bet you rcar is runing richer than before right now at wot. Too rich can also be a problem. I wouldn't drive it much til you get retuned. Or at least put it on a dyno and check afrs. You could flood the cylinders with too much fuel although this is unlikely in your case since the injectors arent that much larger.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:01 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by bassn_07
I've contemplated larger injectors for some time now and I still don't know if I need them. No, I haven't checked injector duty cycle but over a point of fuel still could be added to my current tune. Definitely not a clear indication of my IDC but this method was recommended to me by a very reputable member here on MBW. All my runs up to 140 mph is very solid in the AFR department and doesn't spike at all. Not to say that my injector duty cycle isn't higher than 85% but I still could add fuel and my current tune is still a bit rich.

Like I said, I'm still on the fence on whether or not to upgrade my injectors. I just hate the fact that i would need to get tuned all over again. After my last set of mods things didn't go very well and it's been a pain getting my car back to my standards.

Loco, how's the fitment on the injectors. Have you checked your LTFT and STFT's before and after? Thanks for posting.
I hear ya on re-tuning! Hoping I can hook up with jeremy in a couple of weeks..haven't logged any runs yet, will post some number when I do..fitment wise unlike the stockers these came without the lock but once mounted on the rail the pin slides right in-made sure of no leaks off course..
Old 10-16-2010, 04:16 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Scaling for larger injectors is an easy task for a capable tuner.

LOCO, I bet you rcar is runing richer than before right now at wot. Too rich can also be a problem. I wouldn't drive it much til you get retuned. Or at least put it on a dyno and check afrs. You could flood the cylinders with too much fuel although this is unlikely in your case since the injectors arent that much larger.
will check later on but yes rich is also no good,so not looking forward to tracks or anything..but again unlike Alan's car my car would see 93-95 even running rich so at least that base is covered. Now have to try and re-tune..
Old 10-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
will check later on but yes rich is also no good,so not looking forward to tracks or anything..but again unlike Alan's car my car would see 93-95 even running rich so at least that base is covered. Now have to try and re-tune..
Cool. Running rich would show a higher IDC
Old 10-17-2010, 11:06 AM

P-Carro
Did a couple of pulls and its definitely waaay too rich now! Stays in the low 10's..I forwarded the logs to Jeremy,hopefully he can start working on it..
Old 10-17-2010, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Glad I could help, Do you know how they were checking duty cycle? I'd love to look at mine but not sure what I need to do it.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:57 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
Glad I could help, Do you know how they were check duty cycle? I'd love to look at mine but not sure what I need to do it.
I get them thru the meth control screen but I'm pretty sure you can pick up IDC with a dattaloger.

Last edited by LOCO 05' E55; 10-17-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Thanks again for the forewarning, Luis. My idc was at 95% on a short second gear pull, arggghhh. Probably end up following in your footsteps once Jeremy has a tune for the bigger injectors.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Thanks for sharing your results. I have a couple questions.
How is the cold start and part throttle with the new injectors?
I'm wondering if you had a tune done after the meth install. If not, do you think that a fresh tune would have brought you under 85% just by getting AFR back in check without upgrading the injectors?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
so did your old motor have these injectors?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:40 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by shardul
so did your old motor have these injectors?
The injectors on the car are from the new engine, not saying they were or were not the cause of my engine blowing up as we would never now 100% but some other things were found within the tune and gathered info which now are useless..Perhaps the other car who also attended the Dyno tuning also had injector failure His motor TOOK A shiiiit..Hope you are not trying to start anything here..Jerry Dont PM me please tx..
Old 10-18-2010, 02:17 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by 930chas
Thanks again for the forewarning, Luis. My idc was at 95% on a short second gear pull, arggghhh. Probably end up following in your footsteps once Jeremy has a tune for the bigger injectors.
Charlie- in your case i would wait until Jeremy your tune is leans it out a bit to see if they drop to low 80s..
Old 10-18-2010, 02:51 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by lowprofile
Thanks for sharing your results. I have a couple questions.
How is the cold start and part throttle with the new injectors?
I'm wondering if you had a tune done after the meth install. If not, do you think that a fresh tune would have brought you under 85% just by getting AFR back in check without upgrading the injectors?
. Bk- yes I think a fresh tune after meth would have helped take some weight off the injectors,but then I'm spraying such small amount of meth which really Had not much effect on my AFRs but did have a lot of room still without the injectors just not sure they'll hold..
Old 10-18-2010, 02:54 PM

is it possible to retro fit rear facing seats to a w210 e55 amg estate
Old 10-18-2010, 03:20 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
I know this is old already but a lot of us STILL ignore it our cars run pig rich and we think our injectors will hold even when our tune shows safe AFR'S..I recently installed a meth kit on my car and Afr's dropped even more so here i am thinking its all good- well tx to the great team of guys working on my car and the Injector Duty Cycle monitor on my Meth kit + Datalogging device we saw IDC's were reaching 85% to 93% on 2nd-3rd gear pulls..they immediately told me you are out of injectors!!! Must upgrade!! For them 80-85% is the limit! They don't take risks! unless you are willing to take a chance and Blow up ur motor.This might only be an issue if you are involved in prolonged top end runs but then again is it worth taking a chance????

I immediately ordered me a set of 550cc's from FIVEOMOTORSPORTS (tx to sneakyneon for posting the part #) and threw them on yesterday car idles and drives the same only thing is that now the highest percentage rate i saw was 73-75% on a 120mph pull in 53f..I will need a re-tune but its something i needed even before i installed these..Thought i'd share

You have the same mods on this motor as your old one? Any changes? Is this is the first time you checked IDC?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-18-2010, 04:06 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
You have the same mods on this motor as your old one? Any changes? Is this is the first time you checked IDC?
I have the same mods and have added more mods here and there along with a few trips to the track even on 95 degree weather and tons of 11.5s 11.4 passes..

And no i had never checked my duty cycle before! Nore i checked how much timing or how lean i was running

And like i mentioned before the probable cause of my IDC reading so high on my stock injectors is the fact that my AFRS dropped slightly to 11.2s being the highest on 4th gear pulls..now 10 is the highest!! so if i dont find a cure soon will pull them for sure and have the stockers cleaned then do a re-tune.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:49 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
My A/F `s dropped to mid 9`s to low 10`s when I changed to larger injectors too. Car will drive and idle fine but it is so rich that there is danger of washing out cylinders ..

I only drove for two days rich, unitl Jerry could reflash my tune and now A/F is perfect!! With the new ECU updates, The car feels SICK fast!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd