W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is Throttle Position Sensor on W211?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Where is Throttle Position Sensor on W211?

Pedal or on throttle body?

Thanks!!
Old 10-24-2010, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 E55 AMG
it should definitely be on the throttle body.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
It's a drive by wire car, there are two TPS Pot's on the throttle pedal (clock to run opposite of each other ie when you depress the pedal one pot goes low to high and the other one goes high to low) and then there are two pot's in the throttle body arranged just like the pedal to provide position reporting.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
I want to tap into +5V signal for Data logging. I was hoping I could do it at TPS, however it sounds like I will have to go to ECU... bummer Anyone do this?
Old 10-24-2010, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Most scan tools should show tps% and some even have logging software.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
I installled my Zeitronix / Dashdaq this weekend. Everything good, but need the TPS signal for real time logging.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
ECU reads out two position values. Requested (pedal position) and actual (Throttle blade position) logging for anything more than a rough idea of what were doing with the throttle won't really give you any good data. Mototronic DBW treats the throttle pedal as a request for torque. The ECU looks at several variables before it commands the motor. It looks at how fast you tipped into the throttle, how far, what gear you are in, what load is already on the motor and wheel speed, yaw and acceleration sensors. It takes all that info into consideration then determines the amount of torque you are requesting.

After it figures out the amount of torque you want it then figures out what the best approach to getting that torque is, throttle blade position, supercharger engagement, timing, fueling and transmission variables (gear selection and torque converter lock up)

On a DBW car you might not always see what you expect to see when you log tps

And FWIW some tuners love to rescale the throttle pedal to fool you into thinking that they've done a better job of tuning your car
Old 10-24-2010, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Dane, I replied to your pm.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
This guy knows his stuff! I am not sure about Mercedes, but for every car I have worked on that you tap into the TPS, it will throw a check engine light if you tap into it. If you tap into the Pedal position sensor (the one for the pedal itself), it will likely NOT throw a CEL. However, it won't be quite as accurate. I have tried Lexus, Toyota (same thing), BMW, Chevrolet, not tried Mercedes. Usually, they will throw an out of range code if you do ... and I think it is usually a second start code (i.e. doesn't happen on first start up). Even when I used high impedance input, it still throws a CEL if I hook into TPS versus pedal position sensor.

As far as one going high vs. low .. again on other vehicles, there are two potentiometers on the TPS, on some both go from low to high and for some they go opposite ways ... this is kind of a crosscheck to make sure there are no issues. The pedal position sensor does the same thing usually. On the E55 I think on the pedal they are just different ranges - 0.2 to 2.25V and 0.4V to 4.5V. The TPS, I don't know

Originally Posted by AMGPilot
ECU reads out two position values. Requested (pedal position) and actual (Throttle blade position) logging for anything more than a rough idea of what were doing with the throttle won't really give you any good data. Mototronic DBW treats the throttle pedal as a request for torque. The ECU looks at several variables before it commands the motor. It looks at how fast you tipped into the throttle, how far, what gear you are in, what load is already on the motor and wheel speed, yaw and acceleration sensors. It takes all that info into consideration then determines the amount of torque you are requesting.

After it figures out the amount of torque you want it then figures out what the best approach to getting that torque is, throttle blade position, supercharger engagement, timing, fueling and transmission variables (gear selection and torque converter lock up)

On a DBW car you might not always see what you expect to see when you log tps

And FWIW some tuners love to rescale the throttle pedal to fool you into thinking that they've done a better job of tuning your car

Last edited by turbo97se; 10-24-2010 at 02:47 AM.