Sponsored by:

Potential Buyers Beware: A Warning from a Recent W211 E55 Buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 12:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Lord, many of these E55 have been highly modded and run hard then at end of warranty or lease returned to "stock" FOR SALE.
The OPs car sounds like it has been over a curb or two from all the suspension work done.
Many people will be "taken" and unfortunately the ones that can least afford it, because like you they think "it should just be broken in, not broken down"
Then they come here and try to save others by having a passive aggressive rant and cry about how bad Mercedes Benz cars are.

Don't forget, there is a E55 buyer born every second.....
I am glad to hear everyones opinions, good and bad. My experience has always been the truth lies in between the extremes. Keep the rants and praises coming - I want to hear them all.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W463 G500, 2003 Terminator Cobra (710RWHP), 2012 S350 Bluetec, 2010 911 C4S, 2007 VRSCDX
I was chewed out on this forum board for saying the E55 was not a reliable car. In fact I was referred to as several other things as well. 05 to 06 W211 E55 with warranty is not a bad car. If you have all the paper work to come with it and a clean VMI.

My family has had and does have several Mercedes Benz products I know what a good quality Mercedes is W140 and R129 are great great Mercedes Benz products.

A wise friend once told me, you never wanna back your way into a $90k car. Altho it is nice to have a E55 out of college, I think you learned your lesson. I feel for you I know what its like to have a car you truly love but have to pay for it through the nose to maintain it on top of the car payment. All these reasons combined is why I went E63, call me whatever I am very happy with my decision and knock on wood it has been a good car.

If you are in the Chicago area if there is anything I can do to help please feel free to PM me. Always remember forums are not a accurate description of the car ownership experience. Alot of times when people have issues with a vendor there comments are removed from a forum because the vendor asks it to be removed and the vendors pay for advertising on the website. Its nice to hear a breathe of fresh air. In the end take everything you ready on these forums with a grain of salt.

I wish you all the best and safe travels moving forward.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Great advice everyone. I always tell my friends when they ask about depreciated luxury/performance cars, "If you can afford to buy 2, then you can afford to own 1".

Originally Posted by tsquare
I am glad to hear everyones opinions, good and bad. My experience has always been the truth lies in between the extremes. Keep the rants and praises coming - I want to hear them all.
Originally Posted by W109 W211 6.2L
In the end take everything you ready on these forums with a grain of salt.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by Calvin2376
5) Steering angle sensor defective, send ESP malfunctions to dash - have not replaced yet, not under warranty, cost $400
FYI....this keeps your supercharger from engaging.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 GL550 2006 S55
You have to pay to play and you cant drive a $90k car and not think you wont have expensive repairs, but it does seem like your warranty should have covered more of those repairs.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
one questiion:

"Immaculant"?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Calvin2376

I just wanted to give an update to my original post.

I'm not surprised that my first post got such a response. I am surprised though that, while some of it has been vitriolic, most of the resulting discussion has been civil and constructive.

Since the first post here I made in October, the additional repairs needed were the intercooler pump, thermostat, and clutch.

So to recap, I bought the car in June 2010. It was a one-owner, Carfax certified car with 66k miles and had been serviced and maintained regularly and on schedule at a Mercedes dealership. Between June 2010 and January 2011 the following parts failed and needed to be replaced:
intercooler pump, thermostat, idler pulley, center console cupholder, 2 keyless go door handles, steering angle sensor, right thrust arm bushing, left thrust arm, left upper ball joint, both fuel sending units, both fuel pumps, and the fuel filter module.

Luckily some of this was goodwill and some of it was covered by warranty. But all told, the total cost of all these repairs was $6,170. That represents 24% of the purchase price of the car incurred in repairs in 7 months.

I understand that when you buy such a high-market car you are opening yourself up to expensive upkeep. I had done my research and budgeted for the maintenance and some repairs. Never though did I think within 7 months of ownership I'd have to put up an additional 24% of the purchase price of the car just to keep it on the road.

Last week I traded in the car; I simply had to cut my losses. The worst part is that I never got to enjoy the car. I thought when I bought it that every morning when I woke up I'd look forward to driving it to work. Instead, I literally feared starting up the car, wondering what new malfunction message would appear.

Both my original post and this follow-up were meant to share only my experience with only my E55. I of course can't and don't pretend to be able to speak for all E55s or their owners. Of course there are plenty out there who love their cars and whose cars have been headache-free.

As I stated in my original post and repeat now, I do not intend to dissuade potential buyers of E55s. Nor by any means do I intend to bad-mouth the Mercedes brand.
I simply put this forward as my experience, to expand the information available and to contribute to discussion.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e46 m3
any videos or you can describe the knocking because of the pulley?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350

I'm not surprised that my first post got such a response. I am surprised though that, while some of it has been vitriolic, most of the resulting discussion has been civil and constructive.

Since the first post here I made in October, the additional repairs needed were the intercooler pump, thermostat, and clutch.

So to recap, I bought the car in June 2010. It was a one-owner, Carfax certified car with 66k miles and had been serviced and maintained regularly and on schedule at a Mercedes dealership. Between June 2010 and January 2011 the following parts failed and needed to be replaced:
intercooler pump, thermostat, idler pulley, center console cupholder, 2 keyless go door handles, steering angle sensor, right thrust arm bushing, left thrust arm, left upper ball joint, both fuel sending units, both fuel pumps, and the fuel filter module.

Luckily some of this was goodwill and some of it was covered by warranty. But all told, the total cost of all these repairs was $6,170. That represents 24% of the purchase price of the car incurred in repairs in 7 months.

I understand that when you buy such a high-market car you are opening yourself up to expensive upkeep. I had done my research and budgeted for the maintenance and some repairs. Never though did I think within 7 months of ownership I'd have to put up an additional 24% of the purchase price of the car just to keep it on the road.

Last week I traded in the car; I simply had to cut my losses. The worst part is that I never got to enjoy the car. I thought when I bought it that every morning when I woke up I'd look forward to driving it to work. Instead, I literally feared starting up the car, wondering what new malfunction message would appear.

Both my original post and this follow-up were meant to share only my experience with only my E55. I of course can't and don't pretend to be able to speak for all E55s or their owners. Of course there are plenty out there who love their cars and whose cars have been headache-free.

As I stated in my original post and repeat now, I do not intend to dissuade potential buyers of E55s. Nor by any means do I intend to bad-mouth the Mercedes brand.
I simply put this forward as my experience, to expand the information available and to contribute to discussion.
Boy...I just saw this thread and got a serious case of deja vu. Back in '97 I went through almost the exact same experience. Fresh out of school..making OK...but not serious money...and bought MY dream car then: a 1993 RX-7 R1. Low miles...pretty good shape...but no extended warranty.

A/C went on the way home. Within a month, main seal blew (i.e. new engine #1), thought after an 2 month ordeal of replacing the engine...I was good to go.

Blew another engine (main seal again).

Within a year, I was over $20k in the hole. All cranked up on my then 25 year old's credit cards. 16 months into ownership of the car, I'd had it on the road for about 7 months.

I eventually had to fold and sold the car (for more than I had purchased it for mind you) and was $17k in credit card debt at 24. Awesome.

I bought a used '95 Volvo 850...

As much as I loved that car, based on my 24 year old income, it was simply too much for me to maintain.

You did the right thing by moving on and cutting your losses. At some point hopefully you'll come back!!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450

So to recap, I bought the car in June 2010. It was a one-owner, Carfax certified car with 66k miles and had been serviced and maintained regularly and on schedule at a Mercedes dealership. Between June 2010 and January 2011 the following parts failed and needed to be replaced: intercooler pump, thermostat, idler pulley, center console cupholder, 2 keyless go door handles, steering angle sensor, right thrust arm bushing, left thrust arm, left upper ball joint, both fuel sending units, both fuel pumps, and the fuel filter module.

Sorry to hear it was such a pricey ordeal.

I do think buying a 7 year old aged exotic out of college might not have been the wisest choice, but that is your call, and certainly, I do understand the desire. I drove a series of nice but entry level pre-owned Lexus & BMW cars after my schooling was over until I could afford to go with the premium ones. Just a question of time.

In the end, I think you got burned by bad luck, just as I did with my last car. Back in '03, I bought a then 2 year old BMW 740iL. It was fantastic car, CPO'd and I loved it every minute i owned it. Drove it for a couple of years, and let it go when the CPO warranty was coming to a close. Always wondered if I should have kept it longer.

Fast forward 7 years, a few cars later...and after my then BMW 550i lease expired, I bought an '01 740i which I stumbled across online. Very low mileage, well maintained and inspected, etc. A really gorgeous car, so I bought it and flew to Miami to get it. However, the check engine light literally came on halfway into the 18 hour drive home, which was an omen. I owned the car for 8 months, it was towed 2x and jump started by AAA in the morning 2 other times. I spent nearly $6k on repairs, before I finally decided to part company.

It was a 9 year old car - $85k new, and expensive to maintain. I probably failed to appreciate that fact when I bought it, and the fact that I only paid $18k for it was no solace to me - so once I got it under control, I sold it (forunately, for what I paid 8 months earlier), but still took a bit of a lick to own it.

These things just happen when you want fine cars. Hondas run forever, but they sure arent much fun. Just chalk it up to bad luck and find something else fun to drive...and head back for the exotics when you can more easily afford it.

Last edited by lawguy; 02-03-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Calvin2376

Originally Posted by LEX99FRC
any videos or you can describe the knocking because of the pulley?
If you Google "E55 idler pulley" you'll find some info. Basically it's a pulley right at the front of the car (you see it as soon as you lift the hood) around which the supercharger belt runs. What happens in most cases is the bearing inside the pulley wears out and starts wobbling, causing the knocking sound. If you catch it in time, you can just replace the bearing and not the whole pulley (the bearing is $1, the pulley is $600). If it's gone too long, the failed bearing can wear down the inside of the pulley and you need to replace both.

If you suspect it, take it to the nearest dealer, pop the hood for a service tech and tell them you think the idler pulley is knocking. He'll be able to tell you without even bringing it in the shop whether that's the case or not.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
The pulley sound....

is sort of a "hard rubber knock" sound. You probably won't miss it.
Sorry about your car, but these things do happen to expensive cars when aged. And it does confirm my thoughts that the MB CPO isn't exactly a panacea. But $100k cars don't come with $100 repairs. I wouldn't let it sour me though.....you can try again, and the luck's in your favor now. Also, where did you trade that thing? Sounds like it would be the right time to own it....
One other little thing--a 93 RX7 is an exotic?
Anyway, good luck on the next one.....
Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
'06 E55

So to recap, I bought the car in June 2010. It was a one-owner, Carfax certified car with 66k miles and had been serviced and maintained regularly and on schedule at a Mercedes dealership. Between June 2010 and January 2011 the following parts failed and needed to be replaced: intercooler pump, thermostat, idler pulley, center console cupholder, 2 keyless go door handles, steering angle sensor, right thrust arm bushing, left thrust arm, left upper ball joint, both fuel sending units, both fuel pumps, and the fuel filter module.

Calvin,
Nice and humble post especially from a person who got few very tough replies. I salute you for handling the situation in a very mature and dignified way. You did the right thing in letting the car go. There is no reason to go out and bad mouthing other people or the car.

Yes these cars do need lots of maintenence but then there are always some that need more than the others. My '06 E55 that i purchased over 2 years ago with 18,000 miles and currently at 42,000 miles have been pretty much trouble free.

Hopefully,one day you will be back at the seat of a newer E63 and get to enjoy what you couldn't at this time.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
Originally Posted by allenjdmb
Sorry about your car, but these things do happen to expensive cars when aged. And it does confirm my thoughts that the MB CPO isn't exactly a panacea. But $100k cars don't come with $100 repairs. I wouldn't let it sour me though.....you can try again, and the luck's in your favor now. Also, where did you trade that thing? Sounds like it would be the right time to own it....

Allenjdmb - I never referred to the FD R1 as an exotic...but many automotive magazines did when it was released. Faster than a Testarosa, better handling than a 911, and at close to $50k for a fully spec'd model, in 1993 that *was* close to exotic. With sheet metal so thin if you leaned on it deformed...interior body panels that didn't match in shape just to conform and save weight...a Lotus tuned suspension...twin sequential turbos...0-60 in 4.9 (this is in 1992)...curb weigh of 2800 lbs...

The FD RX-7 was Motor Trend's Import\Domestic Car of the Year. When Playboy magazine first reviewed the FD RX-7 in 1993, they tested it in the same issue as the [then] new Dodge Viper. In that issue, Playboy declared the RX-7 to be the better of the two cars. It went on to win Playboy's Car of the Year for 1993. The FD RX-7 also made Car and Driver magazine's Ten Best list for 1993 through 1995, for every year in which it was sold state-side. June, 2007 Road&Track magazine proclaimed "The ace in Mazda's sleeve is the RX-7, a car once touted as the purest, most exhilarating sports car in the world.

And guess what car won the GT-3 Unlimited SCCA championship last year (2010)? Oh...a '93 RX-7

In 2000...an almost DECADE old RX-7 beat out a SUPER CHARGED RennTECH CL60, a Stage III 911 turbo, a 435 S Vette, and a Factory 5 Racing coupe...

But I never called it an "exotic". I wouldn't call your E63 or my E55 an "exotic".

I will call it one of the best sports cars ever made. And I will call it a car that no 24 year old making $60k a year in 1997 should own.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Calvin2376

Originally Posted by allenjdmb

Not sure if this request was facetious or not, but I did want to post the listing info for the car for 2 reasons.

1) This poster is right, it's a great time to own this car since I just put so much money into it on repairs.

2) I had such a great experience with the dealer I traded it in to (Lexus of Rockville) that I would love to send them some business.

The listing page isn't a stable link, so go to http://www.lexusofrockville.com, pre-owned, and search by Mercedes. Here's a link at least to the facts on it http://soniclexusrockville.cms.deale...8f3db023924633.

They'll probably only be keeping it on the lot for a few weeks at most before they sell it at auction, so if you're interested grab it.

And of course if you do, give me a heads up and let me know how it goes.

Also, for the love of all things holy, get it inspected by an MB dealer. And if you have a firstborn, keep him handy in case you need to trade him for repair costs
Old 02-03-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
To the original poster: Don't worry too much about your experience, it is not that rare. These cars are complicated, and for whatever reason, have a decent number of items that do seem to give trouble. I am sorry you did not get to enjoy the car - I have an S55 and I know how it's like waking up to a malfunction or some issue that costs you money. In the end, I love my car - but I work through the problems and they do irk me a bit, but that's the nature of owning an older car. (And mine is out of warranty!)

For what the E55 is - the maintenance I wouldn't say is mind blowingly unreliable, just a "plain" unreliable for a daily driver. (When you compare it to something like a Toyota or Honda, which tend to go longer without problems, and cheaper fixes when they do arise.) But, it's an E55 - a very fast performance car. You don't get that with the other daily drivers. It's also full of trivia and interior gadgets, which often can go wrong as well. (Keyless go, parktronic, etc)

If you had bought something less complicated like a C55, I think you'd have much less problems. The E and S classes have a lot more going on, most expensive and important of which being the suspensions. (ABC and Airmatic respectively, both which are known problem areas)

Last edited by rondocap; 02-03-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: as
Old 02-03-2011, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Umm I remember reading this same exact post like 2 years ago,its crazzy that another kid has the same exact issues.

Or its the same car?

Edit im a moron,its an old thread that was bumped.

Last edited by skratch77; 02-03-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
This is a good thread. Thanks for following up with the detailed list of repairs and costs.

My gut feel is that you had a worse than average experience with the car. But it is informative because it shows the potential ownership costs of an expensive, low volume hot rod.

Other than the thrust arm/bushing, all the items on your list are relatively common repairs. I'm wondering if some of your expenses resulted from a less than fully competent pre-buy inspection?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Looking at the report on this specific car, it appears to have had a lot of issues by the original owner early on. Looks somewhat to be bordering on the lemon side of things. Despite that the issues were fixed at the original dealer under original warranty, it should have still raised a red flag. There are good samples and bad samples of every brand and model. And it's a 2003 model year E55, so the odds are a bit stacked against it.

You had your first service done at a non-MB dealership (?) Was that the seller? The rest of your service work appears to be at a regular MB dealership and all under the International Dealer Services extended contract warranty claims. So everything seems to have paid for by the extended warranty.

There are 3k missing unaccounted for miles between trade-in by the original owner and when you bought it. And then you put 5k on it.

To be honest it kinda looks all pretty "normal" relative to the early 2003 E55s.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
What is going on these days is more and more people are jumping out of their NISSANS and into Mercs. Now since the price to buy these are rock bottom. They are going to learn the hardway about the deals. Most ppl on this forum have driven Benz's for years and understand the brand. We will see more and more posts like these.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
Seriously... POOR CALVIN.

I dunno why some of you guys are dumping on someone that had the misfortune of buying a lemon. He's already in a place where he's out $ and just had a bad experience with a car he wanted to love like the fortunate rest of you.

When I see posts like these, I'm thankful that I never made the jump to a E55/E63. I'm still trolling autotrader.com and cars.com like an idiot looking for one eventhough I purchased a W212 a couple months ago and probably couldn't even afford one with the upkeep.

I had a lemon W211 and was lucky to get out of that with minor financial loss. It would have killed me if I bought the 2003 E55 Calvin bought.

On a side note, I was looking for a CPO E55/E63 but even the CPO warranty sucks d--k.

Good luck Calvin. Wish you the best w/ whatever future auto purchase you made/make...

P.S. Please no flames.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55 AMG, 2005 HD FLSTFI Fatboy, 1970 Ford Torino Cobra 429, 1995 Camaro Z28 (sold)
Calvin, Have you considered a well-maintained W210 E55? I Have been out of college and working for several years, but not the guy who can buy a new Mercedes. I have owned my '99 E55 for a little over a year now and it has been a great car and realatively inexpensive to maintain. Sure they are not as modern looking as the W211. They do not have the supercharger. But, they are amazing. The price is right on them too $9,000-$13,000.
Don't get me wrong though, ever since I bought it I have started a special savings account called "Mercedes AMG Repair Fund". My other insurance is that I keep a crappy 2001 Chevy Impala on the side to drive in the snow, or when I know I will encounter gravel roads HA HA. The Car was cheap and Liability Insurance only is even cheaper. No suprise the Impala has caused me 10 times more hassle and repair costs than the Benz.

Last edited by VonderHaarAMG; 02-04-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 02-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Vonder: What you say is true, even a C55 or an older W210 E55 would be slightly less problematic. They still have their issues - stuff like motor mounts, misc electronics, etc - can all go on these cars, but with added power and performance, a lot of parts are going to naturally be more stressed. (Like the suspension)

The older AMG's are definitely at an interesting place in their marketplace history. They were 100k cars new - but now that they are a few years old, are easily dipping into the 30's, 20's, and even teens - so many more people are jumping on them because they are more desirable than most cars in that price range. The maintenance costs are still expensive though, and with age more problems show up that didn't exist when they were off the show room floor. I think that's why we get a lot of complaints on reliability on these cars, they are just a bit more high profile and people expect so much out of them, that any letdown is a disappointment.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:58 PM

Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
Originally Posted by pullejo

I wouldn't call your E63 or my E55 an "exotic".
One man's exotic is another man's grocery getter.

I feel pretty exotic driving a $100k car, even if now 3 years old. If its faster than 99.5% of the cars on the road, its pretty darn exotic to me.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by Vader13
What is going on these days is more and more people are jumping out of their NISSANS and into Mercs. Now since the price to buy these are rock bottom. They are going to learn the hardway about the deals. Most ppl on this forum have driven Benz's for years and understand the brand. We will see more and more posts like these.
I could not agree more. Somehow the general public seems to think MB means unrivaled reliability as long as it is serviced properly. Most of us know that the only thing truly unrivaled just might be the repair costs. Unfortunately, many people jumping at these rock bottom prices are going to be shocked at the cost to keep these monsters on the road.

My personal experience with my SL55 is there are days when I say "my god, what a mistake to have purchased this POS." Then most days I say "god I love this car, I wonder if there is an errand I forgot to run, HONEY, do you need bread or something, I will run to the store and get it."

I'm sorry the OP seems to have only dealt with the "my god" part.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Potential Buyers Beware: A Warning from a Recent W211 E55 Buyer