SPEEDRIVEN | Block Tuner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by chiromikey
your maps will have to be configured to work with the block tuner's software and i'm quite certain kleemann wouldn't be happy or readily willing to allow another company to do that. you can still bypass kleemann and have speeddriven copy your maps and make them compatible with their block tuner but then you're giving away kleemann's intellectual property which may sever your relationship with them. however, since speeddriven doesn't have any 55k maps of their own, i'm sure they would be more than happy to do it.
That's a very interesting point that I never thought about before..... those block tuners make it easy for people (and companies) to steal or look at other's tunes. Interesting topic....
Old 11-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
your maps will have to be configured to work with the block tuner's software and i'm quite certain kleemann wouldn't be happy or readily willing to allow another company to do that. you can still bypass kleemann and have speeddriven copy your maps and make them compatible with their block tuner but then you're giving away kleemann's intellectual property which may sever your relationship with them. however, since speeddriven doesn't have any 55k maps of their own, i'm sure they would be more than happy to do it.
You'd have to talk to Kleemann. I'll go talk to Marcin now about what format, etc. the files need to be in and then it's between you and them.

Just for the record: we have zero interest in bypassing anyone (in bold, above). You'll definitely want to talk to Kleemann, and I'll be back on in a few min. with more info. for you so you can know exactly what to ask them for. You might want to check your EULA with Kleemann (if you/they have one) and see if you're authorized to backup the file.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
That's a very interesting point that I never thought about before..... those block tuners make it easy for people (and companies) to steal or look at other's tunes. Interesting topic....
Not the case. Most tune files are encrypted and, while you can sometimes copy encrypted files, you can't open them up to read them and take them from car to car (especially VIN-locked files).
Old 11-08-2010, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
acually, it's always been easy. the hard part was getting competitors' tunes to look at...and thats where these things come in. now there will be people willing to let companies read competitor's tunes so they can be set up on a block tuner.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320cdi, F250dsl.

You are correct in the part that the file has to be encrypted. A flasher becomes VIN locked to the first vehicle it gets plugged into. Every file than is encrypted to only work with that particular flasher. What that means is there is no sharing of files between different users. You are probably right in regards to most if not all tuners will not be happy to have their file in someone elses hands. But thats no different than you getting a tune from tunerA and couple months later going and switching to tunerB. TunerB at that point has full access to tunerA's file. Once an ECU is flashed weather its bench flashed or thorugh the OBDii port anyone can pull that file. Whats interesting here is that I have pm's and emails forwarded to me from our customers, where other tuners have contacted them asking for a shot at tuning their cars after we have worked on their cars.

As to us not having files to 55k cars is not exactly accurate. I have files for pretty much every MB from 02+. While we don't have files pre-made for certain hardware combinations. We have done pulley+tune cars, we have done pulley+longtubes+Full exhaust. We have done E55k cars here, and we've had some 63 cars come through the door. But ask just about any member on MBW that has walked into our shop at any time and there is always a V12tt or 2 around.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320cdi, F250dsl.
acually, it's always been easy. the hard part was getting competitors' tunes to look at...and thats where these things come in. now there will be people willing to let companies read competitor's tunes so they can be set up on a block tuner.
The flasher does not read out a file if that's what you are refering to. And looking at others people file is really not that difficult. All you need is 5min with an ECU that they have flashed in the past. I have been asked in the past to check or remove certain tuners files from peoples ECU. Now alot of tuners will place a watermark in the file. And believe it or not but I have removed files and ended up finding more than one watermark within the file. You would think that if some tuners have the brains to place their own watermark on a file that they would have the brains to remove the watermark of the guy they stole the file from.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

nope, i never said or implied the block tuner reads out files or gives the ability to share them...just that it will make it easier for end users to justify letting competitors read their ecu's. i'm not a computer guru but i understand more than most how it works since i was one of the earliest (if not the very first) e55's to have one.

Last edited by chiromikey; 11-08-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Banned

Speedriven
^ Seems like you were implying something to me.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

implying that most tuners are happy to get their hands on competitors files had nothing to do with the block reading out or giving access to those files...
Old 11-08-2010, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
I don't want anyones stolen files.this is just an easy way to flash a new file from my tuner with no down time since my e55 is my DD.

Trust me if someone wanted kleemann files they could easily get them.like how kleemann looked over my last tune.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi>mercedes-benz