Help Identifying a Problem RE: Intermittent Operation of Driver's Door Controls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Help Identifying a Problem RE: Intermittent Operation of Driver's Door Controls

About 10 months ago or so (beginning of year) the dealership replaced under warranty the entire driver's door window switch panel because it was faulty and unresponsive. This is basically the plastic housing that controls all 4 windows and the window lock function.

I had 0 issues with it until about 3 weeks ago, when mysteriously, on a roadtrip (while mid-driving I may add) - the windows stopped functioning again. I drove for another hour or so, then stopped, restarted car - DID NOT open door, and they worked again.

This evening I had the exact same thing occur while driving a short distance. However I noticed (never tried before) that the mirrors and memory seats no longer worked as well. I attempted to restart the car at stop lights twice with no such luck. My initial thought was a kinked wire. So, I OPENED the door upon arriving home a few times, swung it fully open, and tried the switch - no response.

On the road trip incident, I did NOT open the door as I was driving - the problem fixed itself. Car is now out of warranty, ideas ??
Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 c320 Lorinser
I'm having the same problem, it seems to clear up if I swing the door open and closed a few times or just go over some rough spots on the freeway.

I've think that I've isolated the problem as it seems when this happens I have no power mirror on the driver side either.. but the power seat works with the key memory, the windows work individually and using the recirc button.

My conclusion is, as you stated, that a power lead, or two, are kinked inside the door hinge boot or maybe even under the door window switch panel. I have a suspicion that all the "control" power is sourced from the same wire.

I will be taking the door panel off when I get a chance to check it out. Hopefully just a chafed wire or something like that, and hopefully it's obvious once I've got the panel off. I'll keep you posted
Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Please do.

Thank you so much
Old 12-28-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 c320 Lorinser
Good news

I've had the same problem since I picked my car up in October this year. The window controls/mirror/seats wouldn't work until after driving around for about 40 minutes or so... Sometimes not at all and sometimes sporadically. I was thinking it was a kink..and when I finally got around to pulling my door panel off I found it was something else.

I used a multimeter to check for voltage across the power connection and it was a steady 12.4 v. I checked the control leads and data leads as well. All working normally. The problem then had to be in the front left door control module (P/N: 203 820 05 26) that controls the seats, mirrors, windows, even has something to do with the sunroof. Now this is a $200+ piece! No need to fear, with some basic soldering skills or a turn in to a tv-repairman or such can fix this in a few minutes. What happens is that the high current relay on the board stops working correctly. This, in normally closed, allows all normal operation of the door. When it switches it allows current to flow to the power window motor. The relay is anywhere between 2-10 dollars depending on where you get it. I found them on ebay. The part number for this relay is V23084-C2002-A403. I have extras if you're interested and you can email me at Cadet.CJN@gmail.com and I could send them for a reasonable fee.

I'm sure the dealership would've charged me a few million for this... they would've probably replaced the whole door the idiots.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thx for the update, really appreciate it....