W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discussion on Mercedes Tuners Expertise and background ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW's
I apologize to the O.P. for going all out of bounds but I just don't understand the hatred thats been going around on fauls assumptions. I hope you found your answer.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by beauphus
renntech most likely wont tune your car if you have other components besides theirs (company policy) and is probably less affordable
kleemann only gives box tunes - no dyno tuning. have to mail in your ecu or fly your car to denmark
Many people don't like the fact that RENNtech and Kleemann decline to tune or supply products for customers with many non-RENNtech/Kleemann products mixed into their cars, but I think from a business stand point, it is the right thing to do. RENNtech and Kleemann spend a great deal on R&D to build up a solid reputation in their market. Therefore, it makes sense to try and protect that reputation as aggressively as possible; they have been in business for a long time and certainly have a lot to lose. Moreover, since it is hard for them to know how much research and development was put into other companies' products, and have no easy way of testing/verifying specs or safety on a specific car, it makes perfect sense (at least to me), to decline a few projects, which make no mistake about it, costs them a good a few sales every time. On the other hand, this does come at a cost as you end up paying much more for their products than you would with other companies.

Originally Posted by beauphus
from my perspective its extremely important that whoever you choose they have plenty of experience on the 55k and tune on the safer side to prolong your enjoyment of the vehicle. any tuner that doesnt due this is asking for a death wish because the moment one of their tunes is the potential cause for engine failure the word travels fast (albeit through PMs and hear say). service after the sale is always a huge plus too
+1.... well said customer service and support after the sale is as important as before the sale.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 11-04-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:03 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by Faast
Every few months if not weeks,we hear some one blowing their E55 motor. To get some insight into these tuners is why i decided to start this thread.
So far we have the following tuners working on Mercedes.

Jerry = Eurocharged/LET
Jeremy = OE Tuning
Marcin = Speedriven
Aleks = Elite Performance
Cory = Kleemann
Hartmut = RENNtech
Andy = MHP
Wayne = Powerchip

With no offense,what me and i am sure others too,would like to know is,besides Kleeman and RENNTech who have plenty of R&D to back up their products,what kinda expertise and background do the other tuners have to take on projects like $25,000+ E55 motors.

I have never heard of Tuners blowing motors in Porsches,Supras,BMWs and other performance cars then the Mercedes and yet we continue to go with these tuners,why ?

I would like to know what kinda Educational/Technical background these tuners have that enables them to tune these performance cars ?

Please comment.
I know of many blown 55 motors from a certain tuner, many. Seems like people like to stay hush hush about it. PM me, I can give you the name of the tuner as I don't like to post that stuff.
Now to address your question. I can't speak for any of the above mentioned tuners except for Marcin of SpeeDriven. Having been heavily involved in many successful projects (upwards of 1500RWHP) in the past 15 years, I have met almost every big name in the tuning world and have had the distinct pleasure of having a number of them work on my previous project cars. I can tell you from my experience that Marcin has qualities and knowledge that far exceeds most of the tuners in existence. His approach is scientific and systematic and he doesn't "half-***" anything or take any shortcuts. He patiently seeks out the correct methods and applies them safely and effectively. Not a single catastrophic engine failure despite making more power in a production Mercedes Benz(soulsearcher) than anyone else. I guess that last sentence says it all.

Last edited by MarkoCL65; 11-04-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:54 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Evolved8
Has anyone heard of Tony previously from LET/Eurocharged?? Any insight would be great... The E55 Iam picking up this weekend has a tune form him on it. Just trying to gather some info... also Do any of you guys run Widebands in your cars??
I run a wide band and also run the 1/4 mile and mile.. Running to cars and coffee in the morning..:

Ok back to

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-04-2010, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Thanks!!

Hows Andy do From Modern Performance (I belive its called?)
Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Running to cars and coffee in the morning..:
It's cancelled
Old 11-04-2010, 07:07 PM

E55 AMG
Mercedes Tuners Expertise and background

This is why I chose to mod my car with Kleemann/Renntech. No disrespect to any of the other tuners but 20 odd years of modifying one brand speaks volumes.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:44 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
Originally Posted by slownrusty
Not a true statement, Kleeman dynos your car pre- and post- modification at their North American HQ in Colorado Springs, CO.

Their ECU tune is a safe tune that does not necessarily extract every last hp but is a safe tune to ensure reliability and longevity while complimenting the modification(s).

I have about 10runs on the Kleeman Dyno in CO.
I guess my point was that Kleemann pre-dominantly does box tunes and doesnt fly around the country/world like some of the other tuners. Certainly not a dig on Kleemann as I am all too aware of the quality of their products and have only heard of their tune to be well worth the money

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Many people don't like the fact that RENNtech and Kleemann decline to tune or supply products for customers with many non-RENNtech/Kleemann products mixed into their cars, but I think from a business stand point, it is the right thing to do. RENNtech and Kleemann spend a great deal on R&D to build up a solid reputation in their market. Therefore, it makes sense to try and protect that reputation as aggressively as possible; they have been in business for a long time and certainly have a lot to lose. Moreover, since it is hard for them to know how much research and development was put into other companies' products, and have no easy way of testing/verifying specs or safety on a specific car, it makes perfect sense (at least to me), to decline a few projects, which make no mistake about it, costs them a good a few sales every time. On the other hand, this does come at a cost as you end up paying much more for their products than you would with other companies.

+1.... well said customer service and support after the sale is as important as before the sale.
Although I wished they wouldve tuned my car originally - I completely understand why they didnt. I have a lot of respect for the ACTUAL R & D that goes into renntechs builds/products and have witnessed it first hand in Lake Park. I wasnt bashing their policy about not tuning with unknown parts - merely stating that it is a point to consider when looking for a tuner.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Intercooler pump upgrade $3495
Stainless steel (SS) headers $4595

82MM throttle body $6795

Really?

Or better yet:
RENNTECH PKG4 ($14695)
ECU, crank pulley, CF airbox, SS headers, 82MM throttle body
589 HP @ 6100 RPM; 626 LB-FT @ 3600 RPM; +2 MPG
RENNTECH PKG PLUS ($8290)
ECU v.2, intercooler pump upgrade, larger pulley

Total $22,985

Is it THAT good??

Last edited by Bramage; 11-04-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:01 AM

CLS55 & CL CK60
Originally Posted by Bramage

82MM throttle body $6795

Really?

Or better yet:
RENNTECH PKG4 ($14695)

Total $22,985

Is it THAT good??
ill take 3
Old 11-05-2010, 12:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W463 G500, 2003 Terminator Cobra (710RWHP), 2012 S350 Bluetec, 2010 911 C4S, 2007 VRSCDX
22k buys you a terminator cobra that runs 10s eyes closed. 12k will also get you a 11 second car.

That's why modding these cars is just not worth it I think. Cause in the end when u post on a forum all the numbers being measured are quarter mile times. Why take the risk on a 30k motor to run 11s when u can do it in a 11k car.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by W109 W211 6.2L
22k buys you a terminator cobra that runs 10s eyes closed. 12k will also get you a 11 second car.

That's why modding these cars is just not worth it I think. Cause in the end when u post on a forum all the numbers being measured are quarter mile times. Why take the risk on a 30k motor to run 11s when u can do it in a 11k car.
Cause we can!
Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Bramage

82MM throttle body $6795

Really?

Or better yet:
RENNTECH PKG4 ($14695)

Total $22,985

Is it THAT good??
Glad someone sees the ripoff
Old 11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Originally Posted by Lopes80
This is why I chose to mod my car with Kleemann/Renntech. No disrespect to any of the other tuners but 20 odd years of modifying one brand speaks volumes.
+1
Old 11-05-2010, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
I believe a vendor has every right to make back R&D costs. However, there is a point where they simply take advantage of us.

In a previous post, someone commented on the R&D. If you look at the list of parts in the $20K upgrade:

Heat Exchanger (Make bigger more efficient - Been done before)
Pump - wow
Headers - wow, back to the 1930's
Pulley – Been done previously on every SC car
Tune- This is the critical part
Larger Throttle body - Old News

So really, there is nothing here that is ground breaking, and therefore, the prices on these items are extremely unrealistic.

The fact that RennTech (in this instance) is a dedicated supplier to the MB community tells me they have developed a very poor business model.
Their addressable market begins with all Mercedes owners. They lose the thrifty and sane ones immediately with unrealistic pricing policies.
What is left?
And addressable market is reduced to: Cost is no object and I’m too stupid to know better buyers.
If these products yielded unquestioned superiority over competitors, or home built efforts, I would say – Hey- It’s a niche market. Many of the fastest MB’s on the planet have ZERO RennTech components.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
I'm not RT fan or anything, but I think the reason they can charge so much is "certain" dealer will not void your warranty if you have RT parts on your car. I know of a dealer like that and that dealer actually sell RT parts.