W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a custom tune? Things you shuld do...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Getting a custom tune? Things you shuld do...

Thought I'd give some advice for people getting custom tunes and not sure what precautions to take.

1. Do your research. Make sure you select the best tuner for you. Don't just go with who has the "hot hand" at the time. Don't fall for the hype, those of us that have been here for a while have seen magical tuners come and go.

2. MAKE SURE THE TUNER YOU CHOOSE HAS GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE! If for some reason you are unhappy with your tune, customer service is key. It is important throughout the process but most important when you "need" something from them in a timely manner.

3. Have a monitoring system in place to watch your engines vitals, at a minimum log timing and put the car on a dyno to check afr's (I recommend a wideband). Just because your car makes good power doesn't mean it is a good tune (i.e. safe).

4. Before you get your new custom tune, think about what the consequences may be. DO NOT EXPECT THE TUNER TO PICK UP THE TAB WHEN YOU HAVE A FAILURE!!! They will blame everything except the tune. If you get lucky enough to have a tuner man up and cover the repairs then congrats but don't expect it.

5. Research again. Make sure you know what to look for in a tune. Know where your afr's and timing should be (depends on who you ask). Ask the tuner where he/she likes to target those parameters.

Just a quick writeup I wanted to put out there and I may have left some stuff out so feel free to add your thoughts/comments. Many already know this but I would hate for someone to get burned when I could have done something to prevent it. Happy modding!
Old 11-06-2010, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Nice info and people please don't go for dyno qween numbers.like omg x tuner made 20more who but the next run lost 40whp because the car pulled all the extra timing they added for that one cold pull.

Use the dyno for what its made and just use it to tune your car.

I just did 4 back to back pulls and the car made the most power on the 3rd pull and im sending my raw numbers in for a few tweaks.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 W211 E55K, GL550
# 6 in my opinion don't do a tune at all and ride it stock i think i have learned my lesson. And after seeing all the guys on here with the same missfortunes as i have its scary to know these tunes are a big part in the reason why these cars are "failing" just my thought. But GREAT RIGHT Up blackbenz very HELPFUL.