W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

It arrived today!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2010 | 11:03 AM

////E55
I am loving the car, but already having issues.... even on a car that was only Certified 500 miles ago.

Here are the things that have happened in the 4 weeks that I've owned the car.:

1) Electronic Trunk Failed - due to the wires getting caught up in the trunk hinge.
2) Couldn't lock the car - this was due to the above listed issue. Both were fixed under warranty
3) “Battery Protection Convens. Functions Temporarily Unavailable” – Possibly has a bad battery. The Dealer is looking into this... if it is the battery it will not be covered under the CPO even though it was certified 4 weeks ago.
4) “Headlt. Cornering” - Something is wrong with the headlight cornering
5) And a third message that I didn’t write down but had something to do with the electrical system.

I just got a call from the Service Advisor who is working on the above listed issues and he said that the mechanic has also noticed:

6) Valve Covers are leaking (both sides)
7) Bad Ball Joints.

So, are any of these things surprising? The thing that bugs me is that I just bought this from the dealer a few weeks ago and I haven't put more than 400-500 miles on it. It was just certified "CPO" by the dealer at that time. Shouldn't the dealer have found all/most of these things when they certified the car? Hell, there were even some of the previous owner's things in the car. (receipts under the visor, in the glove box, and in the little compartment under the COMAND unit).

---I forgot to mention that the Mercedes dealer doing the service is not the Mercedes dealer I bought the car from.

Last edited by jamcclureuk; 12-06-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2010 | 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
I think the CPO cars are just looked over like any other car. I don't think it is anything too in depth. Just a way they can charge you more for the car. The ball joints and valve covers are something that commonly happens and needs to be fixed. Hopefully the warranty pulls through for you. If not, it's not terribly pricey depending on how you look at it. Little under 2k for both ball joints/ control arms to be replaced w/ alignment etc. Good luck and congrats on the purchase. You will love the car after your little bugs are worked out.

Aaron
Old 12-06-2010 | 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sold - 05' E55
These are a few of the common issues and you should be very happy that you have warrenty. The tech probably did a "sell-up" when he was going through the car so the other too issues where added, although I just had my valve cover gaskets done last month also.
You should be in a loaner when warrenty work is taking place?

Enjoy the car and welcome to the AMG family.
Old 12-06-2010 | 01:27 PM

a unicorn tuned p30 e63
nice car man, congrats. now change the pump and take it to the track hahah
Old 12-07-2010 | 06:38 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Very nice looking car! You don't want distronic, anyway. Just more **** that can go wrong, not to mention the big flat panel on the grill looks ridiculous, imo.

Congratulations on the purchase! Once the bugs are worked out, she'll be good as new.
Old 12-07-2010 | 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
I dont think the valve covers were leaking I think you meant vent covers wich are very common on the 55 motors and are not a big deal. Out of warranty I think I paid $150.
Old 12-07-2010 | 11:37 AM

////E55
I am not a happy camper! WTF! I just got a call from my Service Advisor who explained to me that the sensor for the headlights that work the Headlight Cornering are not functioning and need to be replaced. He said that since they are an accessory, they are NOT covered under the CPO warranty. The repair cost for the part is $1600 + Labor.

The reason that I'm pissed off, the fact that the sales manager at the dealer told me that buying a CPO car was just like buying a new Mercedes. The warranty covers everything. He said that the only thing that wouldn't be covered is wear and tear items like "worn out leather, or the writing on the stereo buttons."

So does this mean that if (when) the Dynamic Seats stop working or if (when) the sunroof fails to open it won't be covered either?

I am really pissed off!
Old 12-07-2010 | 12:33 PM

2008 W463 G500, 2003 Terminator Cobra (710RWHP), 2012 S350 Bluetec, 2010 911 C4S, 2007 VRSCDX
The E55 W211 is a great motor when it comes to power for a Mercedes V8 its probably the best for power but there is a reason it can be had for $25k. 5:20 of the attached video should help clarify. I am not trying to start a battle of what is better. I would unload the car personally get someother sucker to pay the bills, we all know someone will take it, but if you cant sell it without fixing it, then fix it and enjoy, it will be a fun car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A5qTXVJYRo
Old 12-07-2010 | 12:46 PM

////E55
Well the dealer the I bought the car from is going to work with the dealer here in St. Louis to help me out. I have no idea what they are going to cover, but fingers crossed.

As I said above, obviously no one wants to have costly repair bills.... but I was told flat out that the CPO warranty would cover me bumper to bumper... just like the factory warranty.
Old 12-07-2010 | 02:22 PM

'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
Originally Posted by vtecsti
Very nice looking car! You don't want distronic, anyway. Just more **** that can go wrong, not to mention the big flat panel on the grill looks ridiculous, imo.

Congratulations on the purchase! Once the bugs are worked out, she'll be good as new.
Having distronic, I can say it is worth paying the money to add it to your car.
Old 12-07-2010 | 02:35 PM

////E55
Is there a complete list out there of all items covered under the CPO program?
Old 12-07-2010 | 04:49 PM

'21 GT4, ‘11 C63 P31, ‘04 VW .:R32, '88 Chrysler Conquest TSi, ‘15 Ram Longhorn, '
Originally Posted by jamcclureuk
I am loving the car, but already having issues.... even on a car that was only Certified 500 miles ago.

Here are the things that have happened in the 4 weeks that I've owned the car.:

1) Electronic Trunk Failed - due to the wires getting caught up in the trunk hinge.
2) Couldn't lock the car - this was due to the above listed issue. Both were fixed under warranty
3) “Battery Protection Convens. Functions Temporarily Unavailable” – Possibly has a bad battery. The Dealer is looking into this... if it is the battery it will not be covered under the CPO even though it was certified 4 weeks ago.
4) “Headlt. Cornering” - Something is wrong with the headlight cornering
5) And a third message that I didn’t write down but had something to do with the electrical system.

I just got a call from the Service Advisor who is working on the above listed issues and he said that the mechanic has also noticed:

6) Valve Covers are leaking (both sides)
7) Bad Ball Joints.

So, are any of these things surprising? The thing that bugs me is that I just bought this from the dealer a few weeks ago and I haven't put more than 400-500 miles on it. It was just certified "CPO" by the dealer at that time. Shouldn't the dealer have found all/most of these things when they certified the car? Hell, there were even some of the previous owner's things in the car. (receipts under the visor, in the glove box, and in the little compartment under the COMAND unit).

---I forgot to mention that the Mercedes dealer doing the service is not the Mercedes dealer I bought the car from.
I was a Pre-owned manager with MB for 3 years and the ball joints and valve covers should have absolutely been done . Your CPO warranty should cover these thus saving you an easy $2K repair. I would definitely reach out to your selling dealer for some compensation due to the immediate down time.
Old 12-07-2010 | 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is a ton of crapp not covered under CPO. That's why all those options that are worthless like keyless, disctronic, power trunk, parktronic are not worth it. The older the car gets, that's more expensive worthless crappy to fix. My CLS has after market zenons for that reason....the auto leveling and corner crap is worthless when it breaks and is gonna cost a ton to fix. These cars are nut getting any younger.
Old 12-07-2010 | 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry about the grammar errors.....my Droid sucks *** to type on.
Old 12-07-2010 | 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 AMG C63 S
The main thing they look at on the CPO is the tires, they have to have a certain tred depth, we all know that. But hey, the other stuff is looked at and looked for by the stealers service department because they have to fix it before selling you the CPO car. Things you mentioned should have been fixed before you got the car. Some dealers do better than others. If they cut corners like this then there could be hell to pay if the region manager or whoever finds out. If they don't kiss your butt just make a few calls and register your displeasure.

If you get a survey to fill out that covers your car buying experience just tear them a new a**hole.

Anyway, good lick with getting it taken care of and imagine one of these without a warranty.

Finally, sick looking ride, black is the best color but unfortunately like a part/time job.

Last edited by sack5000; 12-07-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-07-2010 | 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
The CPO inspection is a "Work Order" in the Mercedes Service Application (I think it is a 5 hour job), and when performed, shows up under the service history of the associated VIN. When a CPO inspection is performed, there are numerous tests that are performed. One in particular is a complete scan of all systems in STAR. STAR will show any and all faults with every electrical/mechanical system, as well as any faults encountered. You need to do the following:

Request a copy of the work order history on the car for the last 12 months (or lifetime of the car if you prefer). They have to provide this upon request, although if they want to be azholes, they may charge you .5 hours. Pay it, and get it.

Ensure the CPO was performed under the service application. If it is not there, the dealer sold a fraudulent CPO car and your claim then goes to MBUSA

In addition to that, I suggest the following: Call another MB dealer, and ask for the service manager. Explain the situation with the issues, and get a second opinion. I have seen one dealer say no, and the next say: No Problem

Last, with service history in hand, call MB USA. If you are professional yet firm, and explain your dissatisfaction with the brand, especially a CPO, they will typically authorize (any) repair under the "Good Faith" clause

MBUSA 1-800-367-6372
Old 12-08-2010 | 08:43 AM

////E55
Thanks you for the advice. I got a call from the dealer I purchased the car from, they said that they would pay to have the battery replaced but that the headlight cornering sensor wasn't their responsibility. (probably because it is an expensive repair). They said that they ran a full test with Star when they went through the certification process and that there were no errors..... I will follow up with them to see if I can get a copy of the service history. I appreciate them picking up the tab on the battery, but I am annoyed that after only a couple weeks of buying a CPO car and additional years coverage that the first thing that goes wrong isn't covered. To be honest, I couldn't care less about headlight cornering.... but I'm going to be really annoyed that I'm getting the stupid Malfunction message every time I get in the car.
The other items (leaky valve covers, ball joint) were thankfully covered under warranty.
Old 12-08-2010 | 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks you for the advice. I got a call from the dealer I purchased the car from, they said that they would pay to have the battery replaced but that the headlight cornering sensor wasn't their responsibility. (probably because it is an expensive repair). They said that they ran a full test with Star when they went through the certification process and that there were no errors..... I will follow up with them to see if I can get a copy of the service history. I appreciate them picking up the tab on the battery, but I am annoyed that after only a couple weeks of buying a CPO car and additional years coverage that the first thing that goes wrong isn't covered. To be honest, I couldn't care less about headlight cornering.... but I'm going to be really annoyed that I'm getting the stupid Malfunction message every time I get in the car.
The other items (leaky valve covers, ball joint) were thankfully covered under warranty.
Dont sweat it. The cornering lights are a stupid gimmick. See if they can deactivate them with STAR so you dont get the msg.
Old 12-08-2010 | 09:00 AM

////E55
Originally Posted by emoving
Dont sweat it. The cornering lights are a stupid gimmick. See if they can deactivate them with STAR so you dont get the msg.
I will certainly try to get that message deactivated? Anyone know how so I can direct the dealer?

You know what's funny?? I don't really even drive at night very often... I get the stupid freaking malfunction message in the middle of the day with the lights off!
Old 12-09-2010 | 08:09 AM

MB: E55 AMG, CL550, E3004M Cab + other makes :)
nice

I want mine
Old 12-09-2010 | 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 AMG C63 S
After reading through this thread what have you done to verify that there has been NO bodywork and or paintwork done to the car? Just roll it into a collision center when the car is clean and you have some time. The car is so beautiful several people will come out to look, including the owner. When they are all done go in and talk to the owner. He will then tell you if he saw anything. If not, ask him to go back out and look again. If he still says no, you will have the peace of mind you need. These cars take time but all this hassle will be worth it.
Old 12-09-2010 | 09:11 AM

////E55
Originally Posted by sack5000
After reading through this thread what have you done to verify that there has been NO bodywork and or paintwork done to the car? Just roll it into a collision center when the car is clean and you have some time. The car is so beautiful several people will come out to look, including the owner. When they are all done go in and talk to the owner. He will then tell you if he saw anything. If not, ask him to go back out and look again. If he still says no, you will have the peace of mind you need. These cars take time but all this hassle will be worth it.
I used a paint meter to measure the thickness of the paint on all of the panels. It was exactly the same on the left and right and within the spec of what you'd expect for a car with no additional paint work. Thanks for your suggestion though.
Old 12-09-2010 | 09:36 AM

'91 964 Turbo, '02 E55's & '14 E63s-w
I used a paint meter to measure the thickness of the paint on all of the panels.
Left a $1000 deposit on a car with a dealer in Florida ( Direct Off Lease ) after the dealer reassuring me absolute no paint work.When i got there (900 miles),guess what i found,missing vin tag and evidence of paint work.
I now have disputed the $1000 charge but lesson learnt is

1)- All ****ing car dealers,new or used,are just ****ing car dealers.Never ever believe them what they say whether they are Ferrari dealership or Hyndai (spell ?)
2)-Buy from a reputable car dealers so that you have a recourse.
3)-Always have some kind of warranty to begin with.
4)-PPI is a ****ing bull ****.
5)-Always have the dealer give you the paint meter reading and if he doesn't,tell him go xxxx himself
Old 12-09-2010 | 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211
i dont have an E55amg, but when my noticed my ds valve cover was leaking oil and airmatic icon came on the dash, i took it in to the MB dealer i bought it at. Did get the CPO warranty for $1495 and it covered both.

Def the problems you have should be covered by the dealer you bought to pay the dealer the car is at or like others said contact MB Corp for goodwill repairs
Old 12-09-2010 | 02:34 PM

////E55
Well I finally got my E55 back from my local dealer. The SA was a great guy and really took time to help me out. But I am p***ed off at the selling dealer.

My Certified Preowned was:

Leaking oil from both Valve Covers
Leaking oil from the oil pan
Leaking Transmission Fluid
Bad lower Ball Joints (both sides)
Bad Battery
Right front thrust link bad and bushing
Malfunctioning Headlight Cornering
Malfunctioning Electronic Trunk

Thankfully I have the CPO warranty, but I have had this car for 30 days-and about 500 miles (8 days of which were in the Service Dept.) The selling dealer agreed to pay for a new battery but said that it's wasn't their fault about the headlights and my SA said that the cornering xenon lights aren't covered. Given the fact that I looks like the selling dealer didn't really spend anytime looking at the car when they certified it, I have called MBUSA and they have escalated it to a case manager. What a pain in the azz.

Last edited by jamcclureuk; 12-09-2010 at 08:59 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It arrived today!!!!