Carfax Vehicle History Impact

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Carfax Vehicle History Impact

As you all know, CF has a $$ figure they apply to the retail book value to arrive at a "final value" of the car they're reporting on.

I was comparing 2 '08 E63's CF's, both 1 owner cars, and the Impact figures made absolutely no sense to me:

Veh #1 has 27k miles and only 1 service record record. 2 other records are auction sales in Aug and Oct and 2 online listing records. Original selling dealer info NOT included. Listing is by non MB dealer, thus non CPO . The impact figure here is $450.00 above retail.

Veh #2 has 11.8k miles, 4 service records and is MB dealer CPO.
Strangely the Impact value is only $10 above retail ! It would seem that the impact figures would be reversed so I emailed CF and got a totally generic BS answer.

Partial quote : "Unfortunately, we cannot tell you the specific data on our reports that has lead to the suggested price adjustment. There are over 100 different vehicle history attributes used in our process to determine how a car’s history affects its value. Features and options, current odometer, service records, number of owners, location, auctions, registration type and many other history factors can impact a vehicle’s value. "

Over 100 veh history attributes? So, do they in fact have much nore info then they're publishing in a report ?

So, based on this experience, I'm not lending any credence to those figures from now on..
Old 11-11-2010, 04:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W463 G500, 2003 Terminator Cobra (710RWHP), 2012 S350 Bluetec, 2010 911 C4S, 2007 VRSCDX
Originally Posted by starbrite
As you all know, CF has a $$ figure they apply to the retail book value to arrive at a "final value" of the car they're reporting on.

I was comparing 2 '08 E63's CF's, both 1 owner cars, and the Impact figures made absolutely no sense to me:

Veh #1 has 27k miles and only 1 service record record. 2 other records are auction sales in Aug and Oct and 2 online listing records. Original selling dealer info NOT included. Listing is by non MB dealer, thus non CPO . The impact figure here is $450.00 above retail.

Veh #2 has 11.8k miles, 4 service records and is MB dealer CPO.
Strangely the Impact value is only $10 above retail ! It would seem that the impact figures would be reversed so I emailed CF and got a totally generic BS answer.

Partial quote : "Unfortunately, we cannot tell you the specific data on our reports that has lead to the suggested price adjustment. There are over 100 different vehicle history attributes used in our process to determine how a car’s history affects its value. Features and options, current odometer, service records, number of owners, location, auctions, registration type and many other history factors can impact a vehicle’s value. "

Over 100 veh history attributes? So, do they in fact have much nore info then they're publishing in a report ?

So, based on this experience, I'm not lending any credence to those figures from now on..

Carfax is not really what its cracked up to be. I know for a fact in Illinois dealers and auto repair are not required to report to carfax if fixing a car. The only time it is reported is if you take your car to a Mercedes Dealer.

Another example I am the second owner of the car but for some reason they have 3 owners listed altho the second owner by carfax opinoin is the dealer I bought the car from. So I had to call them to have the extra not real owner removed and that was a huge pain in the ***. What i enjoy even more is the fact that dealers use carfax to ding car value on trade in

I believe on these cars if you have a binder with all your service sheets and maintaince schedules its worth much more than a carfax.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
CarFax and Autocheck are a scam. Their reports tell nothing really. Anyone with a good eye can spot damage better then those stupid reports. They just advertise to people think it is the Bible when it comes to buying a car. They are a joke!