Sponsored by:

Battery problems in cold weather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Battery problems in cold weather

So last week it hit around freezing around here and I had the message "Conv functions temporarly disabled, Battery protection". I grabbed my volt meter and found the rear battery at 12.6 when car off and 13.9 when idling which I thought was fine. Now i went away for 3 days and car is completely dead, can't unlock doors or trunk from remote, wont even recognize my key in the ignition in order to turn forward. I know we have two batteries but never checked the aux one under the hood, could this have gone bad? Also how can I open my trunk now to get to my main battery? All help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S55 1982 300dt
I have an 03 and can open the trunk with the little key that pops out of the large plastic "key" you stick in the ignition.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
My Aux. battery was junk and took out TWO main batteries before I figured out what was going on. It still read 12.6 volts when I checked it, but it had ZERO capacity, really weird. Replace both batteries at the same time and you should be fine. Use the removable metal key to turn the lock cylinder in the trunk. Then squeeze the trunk handle fairly strongly to manually open the trunk.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
duh, feel like an idiot should have looked up there first. Looks like I will replace both at same time to avoid further problems. What batteries do you recommend or use?