W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel repair/refinishing in DC/MD/VA

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Wheel repair/refinishing in DC/MD/VA

I am looking to get a set of factory alloys restored. The wheels are in good shape already and have a little curb rash and minor scratches. Here's what I'm looking for in the job:

- check all 4 wheels for trueness, straightness, and runoff and fix if needed
- repair the blemishes (including any wheel rash, bends if any, scratches, makrings etc...)
- refinish the alloys in the car paint color with provided paint code to match the body of the car
- clearcoat, buff, and make the wheels essentially new again
- if possible mount and road force balance the tires back on the wheels

Also I can drop off and pick-up if it's within a reasonable distance, I don't need them to come to me. The tires are already off the wheels so I don't need/want one of those jobs done with tires on (I've seen a lot of mobile wheel repair outfits do this when they come onsite). Time is not a big issue but again within reason, a couple of weeks is fine. Also, I am not looking for the cheapest guy but unless the top guy is exceptional and blows everyone else away in quality I would think something within the range of what I've heard when I called around (mostly I've been hearing between 100 - 200 dollars per wheel would be reasonable, again...looking for advice and suggestions/recommendations...

thanks all!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:05 PM

06 E55 / 13 C63
Where are you located in MD?

In the past, I used a place called "Wheel Worx". They do SUPERB work and the guys there are great.

I have used them on both of my previous sports cars and most recently on my M5. Their quality is top notch and their prices are fair.

Check them out ... they're located in Millersville, MD.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:10 PM
PGT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E550 4Matic with P1/LED/Pano
Ye Olde Wheel Shoppe is the mainstay in this area. Slow, expensive but they apparently do an excellent job.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:12 PM

06 E55 / 13 C63
Originally Posted by PGT
Ye Olde Wheel Shoppe is the mainstay in this area. Slow, expensive but they apparently do an excellent job.
I went to high school with the owner of that shop (not relevant, but, we used to be good friends until a falling out ... over what? You got it, wheels).

They're expensive and I know of quite a few people that weren't happy with their work - including myself. And don't even think about taking the wheels back if you're not happy, you'll never get what you want.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:18 PM
PGT

good feedback, thx.

one of my buddies has a C6 and bought a spare set of stock wheels and had them powdercoated. he finally got them done, got tires ordered and mounted today....one wheel is way out of round. He's frustrated and wants a good shop locally to fix it. I'll shoot him wheel worx's info.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by ELITE_KOV
Where are you located in MD?

In the past, I used a place called "Wheel Worx". They do SUPERB work and the guys there are great.

I have used them on both of my previous sports cars and most recently on my M5. Their quality is top notch and their prices are fair.

Check them out ... they're located in Millersville, MD.
Good 'ole Bruce at Wheelworx...I used them for a set of race wheels I had done back in '06. They did a good job but the heat started to flake the paint on those halfway into that season. These OEMs my see some track time not sure yet, I don't know if they will flake as well.

Keep the suggestions coming guys...so far I've found Rim Doctor, Sharper Image (used to be Wheel Refinishers), and Wheel Doctor in Gaithersburg MD ...they all say they can do a great job...want to know the experiences you guys have had. I've also heard good things about Ye ole Wheel but people say that they take forever, like 1 - 3 months!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:20 PM
PGT

http://baltimore.citysearch.com/prof...heel_worx.html

same guys?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 PM

06 E55 / 13 C63
Sunir,
My cousin used Wheel Doctor on his 360 this past summer. He was happy with their work.

I haven't heard of the others you mentioned ...

And you're correct, 1 - 3 months if you're lucky! But that's the rep they've built for themselves

Yup, same guys. I was happy with their work, but it seems the work I had done is different than what Sunir wants with his wheels ..

Last edited by ELITE_KOV; 11-23-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by PGT
yeah that's Wheelworx...they used to be at that shop but relocated to Catonsville I think...

I've used them a bunch of times...they've done good work for me on some OEMs, but the color match was not 100% on one wheel fixed like the others in one set so I had them all redone so the set was consistant and perfect color match. Then the race wheels started flaking. I think it depends with them...you can get really good work but then again you may have issues...I've had both experiences with them.

I wanted to see what else was out there and what I can expect...don't want to keep with the same guys if others out there are better...
Old 11-23-2010, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
Originally Posted by PGT
Ye Olde Wheel Shoppe
/thread

ps. ole wheel is one of the cheapest places to repair your wheels.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Karlson
/thread

ps. ole wheel is one of the cheapest places to repair your wheels.
cheap as in inexpensive or cheap as in poor quality/tacky? How about what's been said about their long wait times...any info on that?

thanks for chiming in guys
Old 11-23-2010, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
long times for sure! Waiting list to drop off wheels like 4-5 wheeks. I had to fix two my hre wheels, one was fked up by Greyhound during shipment, second one was dropped by merchants when they were installing a tire.. It took Ole wheel shop 3 weeks to take it a part, straight it and repaint two-piece wheels. Quality is good

no matter what, but stay away from the following place, http://www.aplusdetailing.com/Wheel_Repair.aspx

Outrageous prices, don't remember exaclty how much was a quote, but i remember when they told how much would it be to fix it and repair it, it was cheaper to send to HRE California and back.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
E55
I had a good experience with ye ole wheels when I went there. Not sure if they were having some down time or not, but the had my wheels back in a week. Price was a little more than wheel refinishers, but they did a good job and were closer to me. BTW Sunir which dealership did you go to get your car lowered at?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
+1 on Ye Olde Wheel Shop. Excellent work repairing two cracks I had on my OEM CL65 wheels. They usually charge an express fee (about $75) if you want it within 2-3 days. Otherwise, they are usually backlogged for at least 2 weeks.

Also, i watched them mount tires on wheels and they were by far the most methodical/careful installer I have ever seen.

Tom
Old 11-24-2010, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Another for Ye Olde from me too. I had a very minor bend on one of my VIP Modulars, but I wanted to have it perfect when I sold them to Brian. Ye Olde had them back to me in about 2.5 weeks.

I think I paid around $175.00 or so.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Don't forget about b.Gorman. He is a member here. I have not had work done by him, but I contacted him and ge was very proffesional, polite and his prices were very reasonable. He is in Pa, but said he us in thus area often and might be able to pick up or deliver.

I've used Wheel Worx. Nice guy, did the work when I wAited. Wheel wasnt right though b
Old 11-24-2010, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I went with The Wheel Doctor. He's in Gaithersburg but met me Rockville. He takes the wheels back to his shop, mine were without tires. I saw his work it was very nice on a Murcielago factory 2 pc wheel he showed me...looked amazing. He actually uses the exact same process as OEM for coating and sealing wheels and was recommended by folks in PCA, MBCA, and MBW CCA. So lets see I can only hope for the best. Prices are $150 per wheel and a $50 extra to have the inner barrels anf inside surfaces done with the factory sealant, powder/clear process on TUV wheels.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
Good luck Sunir!