2005 E55
What do you guys think my car is worth?
Keyless
Xenon
Nav
Vented seats
trunk closer
59,000 miles with warranty until 80,000 miles or 2013

It has 4k worth of carbon fiber that I can sell on the side too.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by gnma
Quite a few people here (at least in the non-AMG forum), have experienced SBC failure, and its pretty horrific.
I have a been memeber here on the boards for almost 2 years and where i have read quite a few posts with various issues on a E55 but i have seldom heard any SBC failures on an E55.
Now there are DIY guys that can screww the system and we are not talking about that but other wise i don't think it's one of the regular ones like the airmatic suspension.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E63 s63 (sold),1986 Buick Grand National (sold)2014 ML63
Wow ok - that's a new topic - SBC braking system? What goes wrong? What's the fix? Is it a recall item?

Also - these warranties keep coming up - who sells them? Who is reputable and what are the projected costs?

Pullejo - you're right - a few pounds for a car that may rarely (if ever) see the track is no big deal. I do like the luxury and the gizmos. Coming from a Buick world myself, I am accustomed to a highly optioned muscle car, if you will. The velvet hammer!

...and my research continues.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Chris,

the SBC is an electronic braking system MB came up with, and installed it in '03-'06 cars. (E, CLS, SL maybe others).

Note, it is electronic, NOT hydraulic. On paper, it was a great idea. You will notice SBC equipped cars have two batteries. The main is in the trunk, the second is in the engine. The second is a small battery and is a backup for the SBC system should there be an electronic failure (main battery, alternator, fuse blows, etc). Two recalls were issued to remedy SBC when problems began to emerge in reality. One owner has described the electronic SBC system as something that can (and will) fail akin to a light bulb failing.

MB claims there is sufficient force to stop the car in the event of a SBC failure.

I can't find the pdf, but on this forum is a technical printout from MB which states in the event of SBC failure, only both front brakes will work providing adequate "hydraulic-like" stopping force.

Interesting note is that MB did away with SBC in '07.

Also, MB is fully confident of the SBC system, that they have warranteed the system for 10years.

The SBC system needs to have the brake fluid flushed every 2 years, using SDS. Owners here have successfully bled the system without SDS, but claim the non-SDS method does not excavate all the fluid.

The current issue is that those that have experienced SBC failure (even after both recalls), claim there is very little braking force.

Here are (a few) links from the AMG W211 forum about this after searching for "SBC failure":

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...re-03-e55.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...e-problem.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...e-failure.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...c-failure.html

One of the links described above demonstrates something I have thought about - disconnecting the SBC connector, and then determine how much force is needed to stop the car. Search the non-AMG forums, (I suspect the SBC unit is the same for all non-AMG and AMG cars), and u'll find more stories of SBC failures.

In its' defense, my SBC equipped E500 runs perfectly, and I'm sure that most owners here will say the same. BUT its a reality, that even after both recalls, that owners here have very little braking force after experiencing SBC failure. It is a HUGE concern for me as an owner, and I have raised this issue because as a potential E55 W211 owner, (myself included), you should be aware of this issue.

Good luck in your research!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Chris,

the SBC is an electronic braking system MB came up with, and installed it in '03-'06 cars. (E, CLS, SL maybe others).

Note, it is electronic, NOT hydraulic.
Snipped for brevity.

Attempt at clarification... SBC is definately hydraulic, it uses conventional lines and calipers at each corner of the car. (In the case of the E55, 8 piston front and 4 piston rear Brembo calipers.) The connection between the brake pedal and the SBC unit is electronic - it is, in effect, brake by wire.

SBC enables some interesting features, such as automatic brake drying in the rain and brake application when the throttle is released in a panic. European models got additional features such as a hill hold function, but these are disabled in north american models.

SBC is a Bosch product. By and large, it seems to be an answer to a question nobody asked. As noted, it was removed from the '07 E-class. I think this was largely a cost reduction, rather than driven by any technical or safety concerns. SBC remains on the SL model - the production volumes there are lower, and the engineering cost to remove SBC mid-model run isn't justified.

MB warrants SBC for 10 years. There have been a few failures, but I wouldn't consider SBC a show stopper with respect to buying an E55.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E55 AMG (2006), Mercedes 560 SEL (1991)
You might want to ensure the intercooler coolant pump is functional. Mine failed on my 06 e55 circa 13k miles but I didn't realize it until 3k miles later. Just noticed sometimes the power just wasn't there and I was being hassled by lesser machines. Some people fit the Johnson CM30 in replacement but I chose the updated Mercedes item largely because I didn't want to start changing connectors et al. Best 500dollars I've spent on this expensive machine cos my beast was back! Didn't need to go beyond 3500rpm to dispose of virtually anything on the road.
Brgds
Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
One of the links described above demonstrates something I have thought about - disconnecting the SBC connector, and then determine how much force is needed to stop the car. Search the non-AMG forums, (I suspect the SBC unit is the same for all non-AMG and AMG cars), and u'll find more stories of SBC failures.

DO NOT DO THIS You will have no brakes. It's a Brake by wire system there is NO physical connection between the brake pedal and the master cylinder
Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Shadow5501
European models got additional features such as a hill hold function, but these are disabled in north american models.
You have this in Comfort mode, just not in sport or manual mode
Old 12-29-2010, 11:49 PM

It sounded like a fly by wire system, similar to the throttle on my Durango, as well as many Corvettes.

I would expect that these cars had to meet some minimum stopping distance requirement under braking system failure to meet some DOT certification. If it fails, I would do what I always would. Use the emergency brake (that is why it's there! lol) and downshift, while standing on the pedal based on reflex alone. Is the e brake a mechanical application of the rear calipers, or are there shoes inside the rotors like an older Vette?

What is the SDS method of flushing? Suction?

Anyone else about these warranties that are available?

Anyone else on read airmatic service? Completely insane, or?

Also - what about the IC pump upgrades? The turbo cars live and die by cool air, or a lack thereof.

Do the blower clutches let go? I saw a post about that too.

Thanks again guys, a wealth of info. Still saving $$ and looking to sell the GN in spring.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:59 AM

2006 E55 AMG
s/a says that sbc unit is covered 10/yr 150k mi.

im about to get a 4yr up to 100k mi for around $5,000 although my vehicle has 49k miles on it.

i have heard johnson cm30 and meziere wp138 work well as far as i/c pumps go

Last edited by Tunruh; 12-30-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 PM

ttt
Old 12-31-2010, 04:14 PM

Anyone else on warranty info?
Old 12-31-2010, 04:19 PM

////E55
I went via the Certified Pre-Owned route. You get the remainder of the existing factory warranty + a 1 year/100,000mile warranty included in the CPO program. I opted to increase it another year which cost an additional $2300. From what I understand, the dealer pays for the first 1 year warranty. (So I now have a 2 year/100K mile warranty)

With the CPO warranty, you can have up to three years. If I decide to keep my E55 after my 2 years period, I can extend for another year for about $2400. The CPO is just about the best warranty out there. It covers all the major components and it is ZERO deductible, and transferable.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by jamcclureuk
The CPO is just about the best warranty out there.
There are equally good after market warranties out there.My CPo is expiring soon and i could get CSC for 5 additional years for $5300 instead of CPO 2 years for $5000.

Originally Posted by jamcclureuk
It covers all the major components and it is ZERO deductible, and transferable.
0 deductible if the issue is covered under CPO warranty or else you have to pay the diagnostic charges.
Yes it is transferable as are other reputable after market warranties.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:46 AM

2004 E55
I went with a company named vurge auto warranty. I got a 5yr 50k additional for $3600. I called several mb dealerships to research this company. Not many have used them but they do accept their warranty and it pays for 100% of the labor costs. During my research, I found that some third party warranties would stick the customer with some or all of the labor charges. Be careful and do you research when selecting a warranty!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:27 PM

G8 GXP
I've been thinking of selling my G8 GXP so I can pick up an '06 E55 or '08 STS-V. The GXP is a blast to drive and is quite rare, but it has absolutely no luxury features. I was surprised to read posts in this thread where people were recommending that potential E55 buyers only look at low optioned examples. If I understand correctly, the reason for this is that some of those options (keyless, pano roof, etc) are known to fail and are very costly to repair. My primary reason for looking at the E55 is all the luxury features it offers, though if these features have a high failure rate then that would make the E55 less desirable.

Chris Buffalo - Have you done a search for warranties (lots of great info out there)? Make sure you do your due diligence in researching warranties... there have been a few warranty companies who've cancelled E55 policies due to the high cost of repairs. I'm sure this goes without saying, but make sure you read and understand the fine print before signing any contracts.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:16 PM

Drathen - I have yet to do a search but we be soon. I have some suggested names now for some reputable companies to look into.

Still doing my homework....when I do this I want to do it right.

I have some things to do to prepare to sell the GN too.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 PM

Anyone interested in a nice high 11 second weekend warrier/driver GN?

lol