Sponsored by:

Motor mounts a DIY project??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Motor mounts a DIY project??

Both mounts on my '03 are leaking. I have the car up on ramps and can get to the mounts no problem. I was told to use a floor jack with a solid piece of 2x4 to ever so slightly raise each side of the motor to remove the old mounts. Is this really a weekend mechanic job? I found the spot one either side to jack the motor(just behind the compressor on the DS and in front of the sway bar on the PS). The problem is this area seems to be the only possible removal spot for the old mounts to be removed. Anyone who has done this in their garage, please let me know where your jacking points were on the motor and where you removed the old mount/positioned the new mount.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-10-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I am looking for that info too
Old 01-10-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Todd Edge
Both mounts on my '03 are leaking. I have the car up on ramps and can get to the mounts no problem. I was told to use a floor jack with a solid piece of 2x4 to ever so slightly raise each side of the motor to remove the old mounts. Is this really a weekend mechanic job? I found the spot one either side to jack the motor(just behind the compressor on the DS and in front of the sway bar on the PS). The problem is this area seems to be the only possible removal spot for the old mounts to be removed. Anyone who has done this in their garage, please let me know where your jacking points were on the motor and where you removed the old mount/positioned the new mount.

Thanks,
Todd
I did mine this weekend and I think it's a DIY, but a real PITA if you have headers like me. They get in the way of moving the upper mount bolt but it can be done if you don't mind feeling your way around. I have the engine lifting bracket that attaches to the supercharger so I lifted the engine up using an engine beam straddling the engine bay. You'll need to disconnect the exhaust at the manifold and lower it so make room for removing the right mount. No need to remove the exhaust... just lower it and let it rest on the body supports. The left one was alot more tricky and I had to move the roll bar out of the way to get it out since I wasn't going to remove my header. If I had to use the 2x4 method then I would have had to remove the header.

While I was under there I notice the grease boot on the right torque strut was bad too, but I'll change that another day.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Man, Brian is the DIY master. If he says its a PITA, I am nervous.

I gotta do mine soon too.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:12 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Man, Brian is the DIY master. If he says its a PITA, I am nervous.

I gotta do mine soon too.
Thanks, but in a slight DIY fail, I plugged in my SDS and goofed around with setting to adjust how far back the seat moves for easy entry/exit feature last night, but forgot to account for my laptop bag. So this morning at work I started laughing in the parking lot because my bag was squashed and wouldn't budge out of the wheel well. Eh... I'll fix it tonight.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
Easy Entry??

BrainS, where in SDS can i change these seat settings because no matter what i select on the IC, my seat never moves so I just disabled it on the IC
Old 01-10-2011, 10:50 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by nanayaw6
BrainS, where in SDS can i change these seat settings because no matter what i select on the IC, my seat never moves so I just disabled it on the IC
Apparently that's done by design because if you ask the dealer to do it they'll either refuse or make you sign a waiver. Mine didn't move either and I just figure that feature wasn't working for some reason. There's a couple of ways to get screen, but one way is instead of running the Quick Test, scroll down and select Control unit groups---> Seats and doors---> ESA driver ---> Control unit adaptations---> Parameterize easy entry/exit. Hit F2 and you'll see four choices:
Change standard distance of travel.
Change minimum distance of travel.
Adjust end of forward range.
Adjust beginning of rearward range.

I just experimented with the settings to see what worked. I set the standard distance too far at first (90mm) and cut that back to 50mm tonight so all is good. Don't forget to go back to the convenience features in the instrument panel and turn this feature on again.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
Thank you!! Will dig into this coming weekend.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
BrianS

On a much more pertinent note I could watch your sig video all day...