Should we have a “DNDIY” Thread?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Should we have a “DNDIY” Thread?

Should we have a Do Not Do It Yourself thread? As an example of why we should have such a thread, I will share the below “fictional” story entitled “My Holiday with MAP.” For my peace of mind and because I am still try to psychologically recover, I am not willing to admit that the below story is true or that I am dumba$$. I hope you all learn from me and laugh at my stupid-a$$. I am also considering this thread as part of my healing process. Enjoy and Merry Christmas. I am going back to drinking.
-----------------
My Holiday with MAP

If you have to change the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (MAP) in your W211 E55, I strongly suggest that you have a qualified mechanic do it. The below story could be reasons why I make such a suggestion. Also, the below story might be true (b/c if I admit it's true, then that means I need some really good drugs and to see a psychiatrist).

My story starts with a failed emissions check. I was completely surprised, as there was no CEL. When I got home, I hooked up the OBD II Scanner and, sure enough, there was a “pending” code of P0106 for a bad MAP. I researched MAP, its location, installation and so on. From mbworld.org, I knew the easiest way to access the MAP was to remove the S/C. However, I wanted to replace MAP myself without removing the S/C. I knew doing so could be a little difficult….but seriously, it’s just a sensor. I am a good looking guy and chics dig me, so how hard can this be? I am also pretty good with tools and at car maintenance….how hard can it be? I should be able to defeat and replace MAP. Man, was I stupid! In my story, I will also provide tips referenced as “FU#.” Ok, lets get started on my fun holiday with MAP.

1. I got a replacement MAP from a local auto parts store (which led to FU#A and FU#B).

(FU#A: Never, never, never trust a high school kid at an auto parts store. If you get your MAP from a local auto parts store, make sure the high school kid behind the counter actually knows what he is doing…..you might end up NOT knowing that what you got was NOT the MAP but some other part. Then, you have to go to the dealer and get the correct part. This led to FU#B.

FU#B: Never, never, never leave your house angry over MAP. This might cause you to angrily jump into your wife’s car, heading to the dealer to get the correct part, FORGETTING that you are still in your boxer briefs and not realizing it until you are in line at the dealer parts dept. Glad the parts dept did not have any customers at the time).

2. Had to have 2 beers. Due to FU#A and #B, I needed it.
3. Removed the air tubes and intake.
4. Removed the torx (or is it called star?) bolts on the passenger side surge tank. The bolts are different sizes, so I marked where they came from on the surge tank.
5. Disconnected the hose by the firewall that was connected to the surge tank.
6. Taped up / covered the holes / openings due to removal of the surge tanks.
7. Removed the TB held in by 4 allen bolts and covered up the hole / opening due to removal of the TB.
8. At this point, I am 20 minutes into the procedure and all is looking good. I decided to give myself a pat on the back with a congratulatory drink of my third beer ….which lead to FU#C and #D.

(FU#C: Never, never, never put a vase between yourself and your beer. Also, never, never, never put that vase on top of your tool chest, especially after you promised your wife to wrap the vase as a gift for some snooty couple you do not like. If you do, you will end up knocking down that vase when you reach for your beer (but the beer was saved and not a drop was wasted on the ground) causing that vase to break into countless pieces under your car. Which will cause you to waste time cleaning up that vase, instead of defeating MAP

FU#D: Never, never, never forget that a vase can break into tiny, microscopic pieces. In fact, those little motherf!@#$% pieces can cause a lot of pan when you think that your thin golf socks can protect your feet……wrong! You will then waste a lot of time with a tweezer getting those little broken vase pieces out of your feet. This of course forces you to drink more and re-focus / re-group after a nights rest to go after MAP the next morning).

9. At this point, I decided to resume the next morning due to FU#D.
10. The next morning I removed the bolt holding in place the oil dipstick. I then loosened the oil dipstick from the bottom of the engine (which gave me room to access the MAP. At this point, I felt I was about an 1 hour away from finishing and replacing MAP. I then decided to have some breakfast…without knowing about FU#E.

(FU#E: Never, never, never forget that the oil level in the engine is higher then the hole where the dipstick connects to the bottom of the engine. Once you loosen the oil dipstick from the bottom of the engine (to get better access to the MAP), the oil will slowly seep from the dipstick hole. You also might not realize it until after a heavy breakfast where you feel, very, very slow. That is when you see your own personal Exxon Valdez / BP Gulf of Mexico oil spill on your garage floor and also on that metal protective pan underneath the engine / transmission. Oh, what joy it was to clean that ***** up!!!)

11. After resolving FU#E, I took a good look at MAP and saw the 2 bolts holding it to the bottom passenger side of the S/C.
12. I took my stubby ¼ driver socket, connected it to my very thin ¼ extension and attached my 7 mm socket. I then wiggled my tools so that it had a good grip on the left bolt of MAP (the bolt closest it to the firewall). I easily removed that bolt. Ok, 1 bolt down and 1 more to go.
13. At this point, I realized….oh *****!!!! Now, I know why everyone says its best to remove the S/C to remove the MAP.
14. There was no room to access the right bolt of MAP (the bolt closest to the front of the car). The problem is made worse by the MAP itself. There are like these plastic wings or extensions on the MAP that covered / limited your access to the bolts holding that sensor to the S/C. I spent the next 2 hours trying everything to access that right bolt. This led to FU#F.

(FU#F: Never, never, never work on your car without one of those metal extensions with a magnet at the end. There is a gap / space that is underneath the S/C. When I was trying to loosen that right bolt of MAP, I lost count the number of times a socket or whatever tool I was using fell off and rolled out of my sight underneath the MAP / S/C. Thank goodness I kept all those magnet extensions that I got as gifts over the years.

15. At this point, I think the automotive gods had mercy on me. I could reach that right bolt with a very long, thin flat head screwdriver. On a fluke, the screwdriver somehow broke off, yes broke off, that black plastic wing / extension over that right bolt. I realize what I am saying does not make sense, but if you know or remember what the MAP sensor looks like, you will know what I am talking about (and no, I will not post pics, I am still recovering and any pic of MAP will bring back nightmares).
16. I could now fully see the top of that right bolt. I then remembered a neighbor having this very unusual open end wrench. It is a 7 mm open end wrench, non-offset, very thin and long (about 10 or 12 inches long). With this wrench and now seeing more of the top of that right bolt, I could now apply enough pressure on that right bolt with the wrench to slowly and I do mean slowly, painfully so, rotate it counter-clockwise to loosen that bolt and FINALLY remove MAP.

I hope you had a good laugh at the above “fictional” story and my dumba$$. This story is also a reason why I think we could us a DNDIY thread, for idiots like me. I am going back to drinking….I switched to wine, as beer brings me back memories of MAP and MAP is still haunting me like those 3 ghosts in the Scrooge / Christmas Carol story!
Old 12-24-2010, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S

I think we've all had encounters like this, and learned from them.
Well written, I lol'ed at the vase part. Thats the way she goes..
Old 12-24-2010, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Really sorry you had to go through this one. No way around it. MAP is just a super beotch! I ended up going to a special tool store and scoring a 1/4" elbow socket that just barely did the trick. (not just any 1/4" elbow will work BTW, it's got to be built into the socket itself....elbow added will be too long to work in the cramped space)

DIY'r BEWARE on the MAP!! Could not be in a worse position.

My buddy Ken is an incredible Benz mechanic and he cringes when MAPs come in for changing.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
These types of threads are good and humbling but most big shot e warriors will just use it against you as pwnage.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Nice write up.. I hope you recover.. May I suggest a beer?

PS, when I pulled my SC, it took 3 hours from the hood opening to the hood closing, and that included tapping a new sensor, a nozzle, and replacing sc snout and TB... Next time, you might want to do it the "Hard Way"

Old 12-24-2010, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Was a nice read till i got tired lmao
Old 12-24-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Funny Story!
A side note to those reading this, If your the kind of guy that would forget to put your pants on before leaving the house, I suggest you not attempt to replace your map sensor.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
^ come on... you have done it too.. we all have!!
Old 12-25-2010, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Lol, I do not forget I do it on purpose
Old 02-06-2011, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Nice story.

So did you manage to get the new one in?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:47 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
DNDIY?

Very good true to life school of hard knocks!! There are a lot more out of range MAP sensors than we know about. My Home garage shop innot large . But I have some small stuff here that makes sense. Bench grinder, bench drill press, & a good Blue nose wrench (torch!!) . So on so forth. I have had to head of to SEARS & SAWBUCKS, to buy a hand wrench so I could grind on it heat it to bend it to fit a tight space bolt location. Sometimes it is an 1/8th turn at a time and seems time consuming. But the end result is pride in workmanship. Go enjoy ypur car and you now know not to volunteer to help a buddy with the same type of weekend FUN
_PTEngineering

Last edited by PTE; 02-06-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Yeah DIY .... my main starting point is do not start if...

a) you are in a marginally irritable mood.
b) ANYONE else around ... including family
c) dont have the right tools

Expect the job to take twice as long as you think it should. Also if something goes wrong - sit back - regroup, dont rush in to fix what just went wrong.

Take your time .... and be in good shape to be able to manouvre comfortably in the tight / awkward spots... yes you need to be DIY fit. (I need to do some work here...)

And then, only then, might it be enjoyable...

So its a bit like golf most of the time you get the job done but not as well as you would like, but sometimes you hit that great shot that makes you believe you can repeat it, time and again.

hmmm....
Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by turbovan
Nice story.

So did you manage to get the new one in?
Some time has passed, so I can now talk about it. Yes, I was able to get the new one in......thankfully.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 AM

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by stevebez
Yeah DIY .... my main starting point is do not start if...

a) you are in a marginally irritable mood.
b) ANYONE else around ... including family
c) dont have the right tools

Expect the job to take twice as long as you think it should. Also if something goes wrong - sit back - regroup, dont rush in to fix what just went wrong.

Take your time .... and be in good shape to be able to manouvre comfortably in the tight / awkward spots... yes you need to be DIY fit. (I need to do some work here...)

And then, only then, might it be enjoyable...

So its a bit like golf most of the time you get the job done but not as well as you would like, but sometimes you hit that great shot that makes you believe you can repeat it, time and again.

hmmm....
Great advice.. Can't tell you how many times in my life that points #1 or #2 have F-ed me up! Even though I chased down all the special tools needed before hand, you can't allways get the 'special knowledge'!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
bump, that had to be one of the most entertaining DIY threads I have ever read. LOL

On the side note, is it really better not to DIY the MAP?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
This was a fantastic story. Really enjoyed it.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by tbal
bump, that had to be one of the most entertaining DIY threads I have ever read. LOL

On the side note, is it really better not to DIY the MAP?
If u do replace the MAP, it might be better to do it via the method of removing the S/C. If I had to do it again, I would hv went that method or taking it to a shop.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
We definitely need such a thread, maybe name it "Don't try this at home, take it to the dealer"
Old 07-07-2011, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Hilarious. So much better than reading the "i just smokd a mad quick stang, yo" threads.

Well done.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
I thought it was hysterical reading too. Only by virtue of having lived through other similarly painful experiences myself.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
The CPS is quite the ***** to do aswell. Just the positioning of the CPS makes it hard, but doable with Patience. Took me longer to install that sob, then how long it would take me to replace the SC clutch lol
Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by tbal
The CPS is quite the ***** to do aswell. Just the positioning of the CPS makes it hard, but doable with Patience. Took me longer to install that sob, then how long it would take me to replace the SC clutch lol
Once you do it you could do it again in ten minutes though. Definitely buy a 12"++ 1/4" extension and a 1/4" universal joint, and use some electrical tape to lightly tie everything together so you can position the angle of the socket just right without it flopping around. Take the airboxes off too or you'll want to eat a bullet. Took me 40 minutes the first time, not too bad.

I'm gearing up to install new front rotors and pads(stock rotors have 112K on them.....DESTROYED). Anyone know what size socket I'll need? I've heard the rear calipers take an E14. Are the fronts the same?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:26 AM

Brabus K8 E55 05
Nice write up

Sign me in for this code, I have it already.

Anyone has a pic of the sensor MAP and its location under the hood?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:55 AM

Brabus K8 E55 05
Can someone tell me the serial number of the MAP sensor. Urgent guys
Old 07-16-2011, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 Wagon
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ahmad0658
Can someone tell me the serial number of the MAP sensor. Urgent guys
A 005 153 50 28

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should we have a “DNDIY” Thread?