W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

110 Octane question

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by cal1
It seems like poor fuel and carbon deposits are ever present posibilities. Given this, doesn't running a bit of unleaded race fuel when you plan to push the motor make sense or is it truly not worth the extra cost of the fuel?
Absolutely and regular use of Techron concentrate is more important as it will eliminate carbon buildup.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by AgSilver
Absolutely and regular use of Techron concentrate is more important as it will eliminate carbon buildup.
+1 on the Techron additive. I use it in the AMG but most importantly in a 993 Porsche with SAI ports that can clog with carbon and send a CEL that means failed emissions testing. I've passed all smog tests with no problem which I attribute in part to using Techron. Techron plus always driving for a good run and with the rpms up there after the oil's reached temp (some folks drive to work for 5 miles and then shut off the motor; not so good, imho.)
Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by 220S
+1 on the Techron additive. I use it in the AMG but most importantly in a 993 Porsche with SAI ports that can clog with carbon and send a CEL that means failed emissions testing. I've passed all smog tests with no problem which I attribute in part to using Techron. Techron plus always driving for a good run and with the rpms up there after the oil's reached temp (some folks drive to work for 5 miles and then shut off the motor; not so good, imho.)
I have never run Techron, but you and AgSilver have sold me on it. I'm guessing I can buy it at an auto parts store? Do I just add to a tank of gas and run? How often do you run the additive? I'm thinking I should run a tank with Techron once I bust my SL out this spring.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by cal1
I have never run Techron, but you and AgSilver have sold me on it. I'm guessing I can buy it at an auto parts store? Do I just add to a tank of gas and run? How often do you run the additive? I'm thinking I should run a tank with Techron once I bust my SL out this spring.

How about other injector cleaners like STP?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Arrie
How about other injector cleaners like STP?
STP is just alcohol. Stay away from ANY fuel injector cleaner that is less than $5 as they have nothing in them except alcohol.

The good ones, that work are often in the $8-12 range, and actually have active ingredients that do the job.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
STP is just alcohol. Stay away from ANY fuel injector cleaner that is less than $5 as they have nothing in them except alcohol.

The good ones, that work are often in the $8-12 range, and actually have active ingredients that do the job.
No - STP FI Cleaner does not contain any alcohol at all. You might be thinking of the older STP GAS Treatment which used to contain a fair amount of alcohol but no longer. AFAIK, none of their products contain any alcohol today. The MSDS for all STP products are online here
http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/prod...sds/index.html

Your blanket assertion about the cost of additives shows that you have been well trained by Madison Avenue. ALL of the Fuel Cleaners on the market today are mostly based on Kerosene, Naptha, Napthalene and other pertroleum distilates. These are strong solvents that remove deposits BEFORE the combustion chamber like injectors, fuel lines, intake valves, etc. The problem is that sometimes they contribute to INCREASED combustion chamber deposits. The better ones use something called Poly Ether Anime (PEA) which counter acts this problem and removes the deposits from inside the combustion chamber as well. Chevron calls it Techron but STP, Valvoline and Gumout also have it. It is the same stuff the dealers use but charge you $100-200 for a treatment. There are several fel treatments that still do contain varios forms of alcohol (ethanol, methanol, butinol, etc.) but these usually are geared towards winter or marine fuel treatment where there is a higher chance of water being present in the fuel.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by E55AMG99
No - STP FI Cleaner does not contain any alcohol at all. You might be thinking of the older STP GAS Treatment which used to contain a fair amount of alcohol but no longer.

Sorry, me bad this is the one in particular that I was referring to.

AFAIK, none of their products contain any alcohol today. The MSDS for all STP products are online here
http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/prod...sds/index.html

Your blanket assertion about the cost of additives shows that you have been well trained by Madison Avenue. ALL of the Fuel Cleaners on the market today are mostly based on Kerosene, Naptha, Napthalene and other pertroleum distilates. These are strong solvents that remove deposits BEFORE the combustion chamber like injectors, fuel lines, intake valves, etc. The problem is that sometimes they contribute to INCREASED combustion chamber deposits. The better ones use something called Poly Ether Anime (PEA) which counter acts this problem and removes the deposits from inside the combustion chamber as well. Chevron calls it Techron but STP, Valvoline and Gumout also have it. It is the same stuff the dealers use but charge you $100-200 for a treatment. There are several fel treatments that still do contain varios forms of alcohol (ethanol, methanol, butinol, etc.) but these usually are geared towards winter or marine fuel treatment where there is a higher chance of water being present in the fuel.
Not at all into the Madison Avenue high price thing my friend.

Just have found from years of car wrenching, that the cheap things in life seldom work as described.

Thanks for the schooling into 2011
Old 01-18-2011, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Not at all into the Madison Avenue high price thing my friend.

Just have found from years of car wrenching, that the cheap things in life seldom work as described.

Thanks for the schooling into 2011
I got my experience in a time when the aftermarketplace was almost non-existent. If we wanted something, we practically had to make it ourselves. Fuel system cleaner was a gallon of diesel in the tank and drive the hell out of it! Mostly, it was taking factory parts from other cars and making them work on ours. A lot of the stuff being sold was made by Dean Moon, Ed Iskendarian, Phil Weiand, Vic Edlebrock and other racers so you knew it was good. They did the research on the track and only put their name on something they could stand behind.

Today, it is not the same. Everyone is trying to make a buck selling stuff that at best is little more than a placebo. The market is flooded with less than useful crap and the Internet makes it even easier to spread the hype and misinformation about it. Not all of it is bad but it is very hard to wade through the marketing BS and anecdotal Internet postings to find the few products that realy work. What's worse is racers I know (personally) and respect like Johnny Rutherford and Al Unser endorse fuel or oil additives that offer little or no value to the purchaser if they already use quality fuels and oils.

Sorry for being long winded. Even though I still have a stable full of high performance cars and boats, it has been a while since I have been directly involved in racing and this stuff gets me nostalgic!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by E55AMG99
I got my experience in a time when the aftermarketplace was almost non-existent. If we wanted something, we practically had to make it ourselves. Fuel system cleaner was a gallon of diesel in the tank and drive the hell out of it! Mostly, it was taking factory parts from other cars and making them work on ours. A lot of the stuff being sold was made by Dean Moon, Ed Iskendarian, Phil Weiand, Vic Edlebrock and other racers so you knew it was good. They did the research on the track and only put their name on something they could stand behind.

Today, it is not the same. Everyone is trying to make a buck selling stuff that at best is little more than a placebo. The market is flooded with less than useful crap and the Internet makes it even easier to spread the hype and misinformation about it. Not all of it is bad but it is very hard to wade through the marketing BS and anecdotal Internet postings to find the few products that realy work. What's worse is racers I know (personally) and respect like Johnny Rutherford and Al Unser endorse fuel or oil additives that offer little or no value to the purchaser if they already use quality fuels and oils.

Sorry for being long winded. Even though I still have a stable full of high performance cars and boats, it has been a while since I have been directly involved in racing and this stuff gets me nostalgic!
I was there too, although I have heard it said that if you claim to remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Oh, and don't forget the Marvel Mystery Oil and ATF. There was a myriad of brews. All that said . . . Techron is a good product, probably the only miracle-in-a-can I ever came across. BTW, it was recommended by MBUSA in the past and it's also really good for the fuel quantity sensors.