Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by K-A
G'damn women.

Looking at that white one pictured above, seems Ford still hasn't gotten the fit & finish down with the new Mustangs. Lots of panel misalignment.

I think the next gen Mustangs should be something EPIC. Considering it will be the big 50th Anniversary of the icon, and considering Fords seemingly newfound quality and definitely performance improvements.
.....no shiat! What a piece of crap! That hood shot and close up or the left rear tail light are telling! Either that thing was hit hard or Ford builders are on crack when they align panels!....
Old 12-29-2010, 01:48 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Yeah, lol. Unfortunately, the Mustang has always been notorious for extremely poor panel alignment (downright sloppy really). I thought the new ones might have sharpened that up, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Not as bad as Maserati Quattroporte's interior though! Saggy panels like Grandma's *****.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Someone mentioned the Z06 - and actually I second that, if you want a pure sports car. I think for the money, nothing will equal the performance or excitement of the Z06. You can get the C6 in the low 40's now, and it's a very fast car and handles very well.

Having said that, if you still need a daily driver or something more practical, I'd just keep the E63 - IMO AMG's have their own muscular character as well, while not as raw as a Z06, they are comfortable and powerful as well.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah, lol. Unfortunately, the Mustang has always been notorious for extremely poor panel alignment (downright sloppy really). I thought the new ones might have sharpened that up, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Not as bad as Maserati Quattroporte's interior though! Saggy panels like Grandma's *****.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:52 PM
VMX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 W211
If it's not an AMG it's crap? That says it all. It also does not cost a fortune to service and will rip the AMG a new one. Not my kind of forum.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by K-A
G'damn women.

Looking at that white one pictured above, seems Ford still hasn't gotten the fit & finish down with the new Mustangs. Lots of panel misalignment.

I think the next gen Mustangs should be something EPIC. Considering it will be the big 50th Anniversary of the icon, and considering Fords seemingly newfound quality and definitely performance improvements.
I hope to god you aren't talking about the picture where the trunk is open.

The panel gaps are fine...you aren't buying the car for that.

Panel gaps on ferraris are absolute dog****, but who cares, right?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
BENZ vs. FORD

Originally Posted by gonzales25
To my MBWorld Brethren I need some advice..Heres my problem.

I test drove a 2011 Shelby GT500 SVTPP/Electronics package, Blk/Blk and it was amazing the sound of the S/C was intoxicating and the new exhaust they have on it sounds wicked. I am torn on whether to give up the E63 and all creature comfort items ie. key less go, heated/cooled seats free satellite radio etc.

I know they are two totally different cars, my thoughts are keep it for a couple of years then trade again when the new turbo'd E63's come and are out for awhile????

I know a lot of you will say to get an E55 but the looks of the Shelby are awesome and the security of a new car under factory warranty makes it nice. Let me know what you would do if you wanted a change in cars

Thanks.....
Although I never had an AMG nor a SHELBY... I might be able to help you out a bit.

I got my first Benz W210 when it first came out. Then got into a BMW 550 when that first came out. Then got a modded out 08 Mustang GT to save some money. Sold that about a year later and picked up a 08 W211. Then got my 11 W212 about a month ago. My bro had 2 AMGs that I drove around a handful of times, the W211 E55 and E63.

The Mustang is a FUN car to drive. Nothing like zipping around with the manual transmission. The Benzs and BMWs are nice to drive, but don't even come close to driving a Mustang "fun"wise. I still miss driving my Mustang. AMGs are great powerwise and dropping the hammer, but you won't be taking corners and handling like the Mustang.

EVERYTHING ELSE sucked about the Mustang. Namely the comfort. I couldn't stand the Mustang's interior/seats and the comfort of it. I guess I wouldn't have minded it if I were still rather young, ie. highschool / college where comfort would have taken a back seat to the "fun". But having been used to more luxurious cars and their interiors, the Mustang had to go.

I know the Shelby has a better interior/seats than the Mustang GT, but it's more leather in place of where the cloth would be and not actually a different interior. I could be wrong with that last statement, but i'm pretty sure the interior/seats of the Shelby are no where in comparison with comfort to the Benzs.

That being said, i think it's a matter of whether you are looking for a more "fun" car to drive or a more luxurious/comfortable car to drive. You obviously can't go wrong with either one...
Old 12-29-2010, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Originally Posted by VMX
If it's not an AMG it's crap? That says it all. It also does not cost a fortune to service and will rip the AMG a new one. Not my kind of forum.
What will rip the AMG a new one? Please enlighten us...
Old 12-29-2010, 05:40 PM

Slow
Originally Posted by EmE247
Although I never had an AMG nor a SHELBY... I might be able to help you out a bit.

I got my first Benz W210 when it first came out. Then got into a BMW 550 when that first came out. Then got a modded out 08 Mustang GT to save some money. Sold that about a year later and picked up a 08 W211. Then got my 11 W212 about a month ago. My bro had 2 AMGs that I drove around a handful of times, the W211 E55 and E63.

The Mustang is a FUN car to drive. Nothing like zipping around with the manual transmission. The Benzs and BMWs are nice to drive, but don't even come close to driving a Mustang "fun"wise. I still miss driving my Mustang. AMGs are great powerwise and dropping the hammer, but you won't be taking corners and handling like the Mustang.

EVERYTHING ELSE sucked about the Mustang. Namely the comfort. I couldn't stand the Mustang's interior/seats and the comfort of it. I guess I wouldn't have minded it if I were still rather young, ie. highschool / college where comfort would have taken a back seat to the "fun". But having been used to more luxurious cars and their interiors, the Mustang had to go.

I know the Shelby has a better interior/seats than the Mustang GT, but it's more leather in place of where the cloth would be and not actually a different interior. I could be wrong with that last statement, but i'm pretty sure the interior/seats of the Shelby are no where in comparison with comfort to the Benzs.

That being said, i think it's a matter of whether you are looking for a more "fun" car to drive or a more luxurious/comfortable car to drive. You obviously can't go wrong with either one...
I see your point, I went from an E46 M3 to the E63 because I wanted a change and the AMG has been nice with the comfort and speed. But I guess I'm just itching for a change again.. Like I said earlier I will probably hold out for 2012 Shelby keep it for a couple years, because by then I will want the comfort of the Mercedes again . The way I look at it I still have the my wifes ML63 when I need the comfort that only Mercedes provides..But she has already told me that if I get the Shelby I cant use her ML if or when I get tired of the Shelby LOL.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
Originally Posted by gonzales25
I see your point, I went from an E46 M3 to the E63 because I wanted a change and the AMG has been nice with the comfort and speed. But I guess I'm just itching for a change again.. Like I said earlier I will probably hold out for 2012 Shelby keep it for a couple years, because by then I will want the comfort of the Mercedes again . The way I look at it I still have the my wifes ML63 when I need the comfort that only Mercedes provides..But she has already told me that if I get the Shelby I cant use her ML if or when I get tired of the Shelby LOL.
Lemme know when you're bored with the Shelby and we can swap for however long you want!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by VMX
Good.....then GTF out!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:02 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by K-A
G'damn women.

Agreed . . . panels are all over the place . . . not bad for union work though . . .

I believe the 2010's are the last of the iron block . . . 2011's+ are all aluminum . . .

Last edited by amg_4_life; 12-29-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Oliverk
I hope to god you aren't talking about the picture where the trunk is open.

The panel gaps are fine...you aren't buying the car for that.

Panel gaps on ferraris are absolute dog****, but who cares, right?
I really hope the trunk is open (odd that it would be open while taking pictures, though), 'cause that looks atrocious. Also, look sat the hood-bumpers-fenders alignment, all sloppy. Not sure about Ferrari's (though, I did make the comment about Maserati's shoddy fit and finish), but any car I'd buy, I'd appreciate it to have good fit and finish. But, yeah, on a Mustang, it's easier to look past it, then on other cars (let's just call it part of the Mustang heritage and "charm ).

Originally Posted by EmE247

You know what they say: Once you own a (good) Mustang, you'll always crave that "Mustang" feeling. My old GT was so much fun to drive, however, I know, now, with my matured and "refined" (spoiled) taste, I'd find it hard to live in.... Which is why it would be a perfect car for just spirited IMO.

Reliability wise, I agree that not many cars will beat a Mustang. Through my Mustang experiences, although they're appropriately rough around the edges in ways, they're as durable as it gets.

Also, to note: The '10+ Mustangs have VASTLY improved interiors.... VASTLY. It's actually something that I could see myself being pretty comfortable in.

The '05-'09 models have the sh*ttiest excuse for an interior. I drove one long distance once, and it was the worst "living-space" one could ask for. The sight, smell, and feel of it, induced vomit reflexes.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Jesus. Where do I start...

Originally Posted by emoving
Well....do you want to pull up the the party in a Ford or a mercedes?
I'd rather pull up to a party that doesn't care. OR, if they do, which they usually do, I'd want them to appreciate my 6-figure GL550 / 550hp Shelby / arguably best pickup ever made.

Originally Posted by NCE500
The current Mustangs are amongst the best mainstream new car performance values, and Ford is on a roll with models; coupes, convertibles, Shelby, Saleen, Rousch this and that. But, at the end of the day they are still Mustangs, with solid rear axles except for the expensive versions, and they will never be a Benz or BMW.

From a performance perspective, I'd venture that an E63 could keep up with most of em, especially if you are putting 433 hp to the wheels; in my case, the SL600 could handle most anything a 63 couldn't. Frankly, after owning a Benz or three, I don't really see ever going to Ford again for anything other than daily transportation needs.

IMO for the cost of that new Mustang, you can buy any number of nice pre-owned AMG, V12, or M series cars which will last much longer and be more rewarding to own.
Worst part of any - and EVERY - Mustang = solid rear axle.

Probably just keep up, if we're talking stock to stock. A 2011 GT500 I know of put 506 rwhp down STOCK.

The thought of pre-owned always put me on edge. I know right before I traded a recent vehicle I smoked SO MUCH rubber around the neighborhood.

Originally Posted by Evolved8
Do what you wish. But i bet a DAY will not go by where you think about the AMG and or want it back.
I think this is a more insightful comment than it appears (no offense meant to Evolved). I miss my AMG. Period. The growl that came with a cold start was epic, even though the rumble of the Shelby is menacing. They're two different machines with different sets of strengths.

Originally Posted by tgoss
There's a local gentlemen over on the C63 board that traded his AMG for a GT500... I would suggest asking his opinion.
HA. Gentleman my ***.

Originally Posted by VCA_AMG
I'd check out a Z06 before the Mustang, IMO. Fords....ugh.
Z06, maybe, but your "ugh" comment just shows that you probably haven't stopped by a Ford dealer lately. Really. Go check them out. Like them or not, they've improved significantly in almost every respect.

A Mustang is a Mustang. Not many people even know what a GT500 is so you are basically just driving a Mustang with all the same plastic interior and a bigger engine. I would have a Z06 over a Mustang anyday. Its sort of a kids car IMO.
Let's be honest - 99.9999(etc.)% of the world's population can't tell an AMG from a normal MB. If you want to really turn heads, buy a Lotus or something.

And as a side note, I think a Shelby would be more accurately characterized as an "American Legend" rather than a "kids car."

Originally Posted by K-A
Both are wicked rides.

I love Mustangs, and I love Benzes. IMO, the GT500 would be fun for a while, but it ain't the car the Benz is, and performance aside, you'll be sacrificing IMMENSELY in all other departments.... IMMENSELY. That said, if you could swing both, I can't think of a better fleet.

BTW, Ford is doing some great things right now, and I wouldn't discount them. They ain't Mercedes, but they're jumping up pretty well. Also, Ford is the leading car that Millionaire's drive.
The trim level is significantly different, but it's not like you have to light a candle in a reflector for the headlight. And ditto to everything else.

Originally Posted by K-A
I really hope the trunk is open (odd that it would be open while taking pictures, though), 'cause that looks atrocious. Also, look sat the hood-bumpers-fenders alignment, all sloppy. Not sure about Ferrari's (though, I did make the comment about Maserati's shoddy fit and finish), but any car I'd buy, I'd appreciate it to have good fit and finish. But, yeah, on a Mustang, it's easier to look past it, then on other cars (let's just call it part of the Mustang heritage and "charm ).

The '05-'09 models have the sh*ttiest excuse for an interior. I drove one long distance once, and it was the worst "living-space" one could ask for. The sight, smell, and feel of it, induced vomit reflexes.
The alignment on mine's pretty spot-on. And let's not talk about previous Mustangs. <puke>

--------------

My general thoughts on the '11 GT500 (coming from a '10 P30 C63): This is one of the most engaging & visceral vehicles I've driven. The deep gurgle when I fire it up is unique, and obviously the modding potential is epic (~650rwhp with a SC swap and tune). I'm probably going to keep mine stock for a while, as 550 hp at the crank is more than I can realistically get to the pavement without a track. That said, I miss my C63 - the party & the friends appreciated it, but I have a cop-out regarding that dilemma in the form of a GL550. So I think the bottom line is (as unhelpful as this always is), go for what you want. I know the E63, regardless of the year, is a BEAST. And you can have your butt cooled on those hot days. But there's no shifter in an E class, and once you hit 550hp in an E63, your warranty is definitely toeing the line should anything go wrong. Good luck.

PS - the deciding moment for me came when I was racing a white w/ blue stripes Shelby through downtown on I-25. That exhaust note & the sheer pulling ability sold me while my *** was in my C63.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL.....touched a nerve there. Whatever you say! The quality of a FORD is crap as can be seen in the photos of the white one! The pulling up to the party line is a figure of speech......figure it out.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 AM

Slow
Thanks Justthebest for the great reply, I was lurking on svtperformance and saw a thread you started about mods for the Shelby. I feel the same way after I test drove the GT500 the power felt so raw! I am happy with E63 but I go thru cars a little too often for my wifes liking

I saw comments about it being a kids car and the Mercedes is for a certain level of maturity and such. I don't think that has anything to do with it, I'm 41 maybe I just need to grow up But I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon

Anyway.... thanks again to everyone for the great comments I'm going to stick with E63 till the 2012 Shelbys come out, they will have Recarro seats

Ohh yea, where I live no body knows what an AMG its just another E class
Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

nothing good
A Mustang is a Mustang. Not many people even know what a GT500 is so you are basically just driving a Mustang with all the same plastic interior and a bigger engine. I would have a Z06 over a Mustang anyday. Its sort of a kids car IMO.

First of all before I even get started, this guy is a complete bonehead. Not many people know what a GT500 is? How many people outside of this forum know what an AMG is? In comparison to those that know what a GT500 is... As previously stated by another member, a Mustang is an icon. On another note, a Shelby GT500 is a kids car? Are you kidding me, have you looked at prices of used AMGs these days. You wanna talk about kids cars. Those things hold their value like I hold my bowels after a nice all you can eat Happy Garden chinese buffet. But back to my original point, emoving is a complete cement head, "if its not a Benz its no good." Thanks.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Banned

nothing good
I dont own a GT500 and I'm not saying I would take one over an e63 either but you have to give them respect you dumb f*ck
Old 12-30-2010, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
LOL.....touched a nerve there. Whatever you say! The quality of a FORD is crap as can be seen in the photos of the white one!
lol, I'm certain you don't want me to get out the feeler gauges for the gaps on your car.

MB quality is generally good. Ford quality is generally good.

The quality of both cars is appropriate for their price points.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:54 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Nahh, I think that's going a bit overboard. My Chevy Malibu has clean and precise (enough, at least) panel gaps, compared to that Mustang. The W211's gaps aren't exactly tight as can be, but they're usually aligned very well. My W212's panel gaps are laser precise, tight, etc. (with the exception of the wide-ish gaps from the side-ends of the clamshell bonnet, but such is the price of the EU pedestrian regulations, and M-B thankfully finding a way around caving into BMW-like ugly flat faced front ends, on the E at least).

I think Ford has upped the ante on their newest models, which are true reflections of where the brand is today. My prediction is the 50th Anniversary Mustang, being released under Fords best Management in modern times, should be expected to eradicate the "nostalgia" of earlier Mustang panel gap charm.

Last edited by K-A; 12-30-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HI GANUISH
I dont own a GT500 and I'm not saying I would take one over an e63 either but you have to give them respect you dumb f*ck
Go back under the rock you crawled from under you wana be! Hang your Neon keys up and go back to the Ford forum.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Oliverk
lol, I'm certain you don't want me to get out the feeler gauges for the gaps on your car.

MB quality is generally good. Ford quality is generally good.

The quality of both cars is appropriate for their price points.
Go ahead and get your gauge out, but as far as that white one goes...no gauge needed!Just saying!

Last edited by emoving; 12-30-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
Ford= Trailer Park, Benz= Lake house
Old 12-30-2010, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Go back under the rock you crawled from under you wana be! Hang your Neon keys up and go back to the Ford forum.
Originally Posted by E55Bullet
Ford= Trailer Park, Benz= Lake house
Love these comments. No need to argue with them (res ipsa loquitur, as it were).
Old 12-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned

nothing good

haha the wizard is getting all flustered......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car buying dilema