Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbonio Airbox and Intake Tubes Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
MB
what`s the story between you and carbonio? every single post a bout carbonio you have to say somthing about the product turning yellow.do tell please.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
They do look great when brand new

By the way, at the last track event, I looked at a car that had a 6-year old RENNtech air boxes for the 55 and 3-year old Carbonio tubes. The RENNtech air boxes looked almost brand new while the Carbonio tubes looked absolutely crappy. I don't know what RENNtech is using, but it has been lasting pretty good
If I remember correctly, they use a company out of North Carolina on the 55 airboxes. Excellent quality, NASCAR shop. Primo stuff (and priced accordingly).
Old 01-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by cls55
MB
what`s the story between you and carbonio? every single post a bout carbonio you have to say somthing about the product turning yellow.do tell please.
He's fine. It's just a reactionary thing - like, being 100% honest, whenever I hear RENNtech I go "Ugh!". In this case (the 55K airbox) I believe they (RT) have a superior quality product, but I still feel that "Ugh!" feeling. I'm guessing MB feels that a $2k product shouldn't yellow over time - regardless of how much time we're talking about.

That said, I don't care if it turns green or yellow or pink over time, the Carbonio product delivers real gains, doesn't de-laminate, installs easy, and undercuts the competitors by (usually) several hundred dollars.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by cls55
MB
I do not have any direct relationship with Carbonio (never bought parts from them), but because I organize many local events such as dyno days, drag events, road courses, etc.... I have seen many different cars with many different mods. And every single car I've seen with Carbonio parts have had those parts yellow out. You can ask the owners themselves if you like.... many of them are well-respected members on this board. Maybe I will take pictures next time.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 01-28-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Speedriven
He's fine. It's just a reactionary thing - like, being 100% honest, whenever I hear RENNtech I go "Ugh!". In this case (the 55K airbox) I believe they (RT) have a superior quality product, but I still feel that "Ugh!" feeling. I'm guessing MB feels that a $2k product shouldn't yellow over time - regardless of how much time we're talking about.

That said, I don't care if it turns green or yellow or pink over time, the Carbonio product delivers real gains, doesn't de-laminate, installs easy, and undercuts the competitors by (usually) several hundred dollars.
I have a few responses to this post:

1) I have seen a couple of Carbonio products delaminate in the corners. Granted they were only a couple of cases among many, but they still do exist.

2) The Carbonio airboxes for the 63 make no power what so ever. If you would like to see more data on this, please search the C63 section of the forum. They have tested those boxes independently on different cars on different tracks/dynos.

3) The "yellowing" issue is not a "reactionary" response. I've seen it with my own eyes on many different cars and have experienced with their engine cover. In fact, I have yet to see one carbonio product that has not yellowed.

4) I had a $500 carbon fiber front lip for my C32 from EuroTeck and the lip has not yellowed (or even shown signs of wear) in the 4 years I owned it - and it has seen more abuse than any airbox will.

5) I actually like the Carbonio products except for the "yellowing" issue. I hope they tackle that part on future products.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 01-28-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I have a few responses to this post:

1) I have seen a couple of Carbonio products delaminate in the corners. Granted they were only a couple of cases among many, but they still do exist.

2) The Carbonio airboxes for the 63 make no power what so ever. If you would like to see more data on this, please search the C63 section of the forum. They have tested those boxes independently on different cars on different tracks/dynos.

3) They "yellowing" issue is not a "reactionary" response. I've seen it with my own eyes on many different cars and have experienced with their engine cover. In fact, I have yet to see one carbonio product that has not yellowed.

4) I had a $500 carbon fiber front lip for my C32 from EuroTeck and the lip has not yellowed (or even shown signs of wear) in the 4 years I owned it - and it has seen more abuse than any airbox will.

5) I actually like the Carbonio products except for the "yellowing" issue. I hope they tackle that part on future products.
No offense intended, MB. "Reactionary" isn't always a negative term.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hey Mo, did Carbonio do Victors first run of VRP boxes...or first few runs I mean. Just curious as I have one of Victors boxes and no yellowing yet. I DID just buy the Carbonio fangs so I am nervous now.

How long before I see yellowing?

On a side note, if the Carbonios for the 55 are the direct son of Victors original design, I am a huge fan of their power increases.

I gotta find the dyno but it jumped quite a bit when we popped on the VRP box compared to stock. Lemme see if I can find it. Been years now.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
I have had the Carbonio pythons, air box and engine cover on my car for over a year zero discoloration.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Hey Mo, did Carbonio do Victors first run of VRP boxes...or first few runs I mean. Just curious as I have one of Victors boxes and no yellowing yet. I DID just buy the Carbonio fangs so I am nervous now.

On a side note, if the Carbonios for the 55 are the direct son of Victors original design, I am a huge fan of their power increases.

I gotta find the dyno but it jumped quite a bit when we popped on the VRP box compared to stock. Lemme see if I can find it. Been years now.
Jim yes the VRP 55k (victors) are the same as the carbonio 55k airbox.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Banned

oh and lastly we have 3 in stock
Old 01-28-2011, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Originally Posted by James@ACGSD
Jim yes the VRP 55k (victors) are the same as the carbonio 55k airbox.
James, I guess I could ask you since you stumbled on this thread...

Have you seen or found a solution for the yellowing of this box? I bought a used on about a year ago from a buddy here in Denver and this thing has turned south quick TIA
Old 01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport

In terms of power gains, Carbonio's 55k air boxes do produce power, but their 63 air boxes produce absolutely 0 hp gains; we've tested them on the dyno and on the track. In comparison, the RENNtech airboxes for the 63 produced 11 whp on the dyno and about 2 mph increase on the track.

Regarding the yellowing issue, you maybe able to see it better if you put it against another high-end carbon fiber piece. At the last Famoso event when the cars were cooling down, some 55k cars had both the RENNtech airbox and the Carbonio tubes. The tubes looked like yellow dirt next to the RENNtech airbox. Next time I will try to take high resolution pictures to illustrate the yellowing. It is most noticeable under the sun.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Speedriven
No offense intended, MB. "Reactionary" isn't always a negative term.
I didn't take it as negative at all.... I just wanted to point out that my judgement of the product comes from hard physical evidence. It is based on data from numerous cars over the past few years. I've been exposed to many 55k cars with the Carbonio boxes and/or tubes, and to date, I have not seen one that has not turned yellow. I'm sure some of them yellow slower than others, but in my estimation (due to the adhesive they're using), their products will eventually turn yellow.

Originally Posted by tgoss

Have you seen or found a solution for the yellowing of this box? I bought a used on about a year ago from a buddy here in Denver and this thing has turned south quick TIA
You should take a few pictures of it under good sunlight and post it here so people can see the difference. I will try to take more pictures at the next track event and post it here as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tgoss

the issue at hand is the resin that is used and the heat that the motor creates... the same resin used on an external body part would most likely last, however with the heat conditions it faces under the hood the resin starts to yellow... we're trying a few different solutions such as re-clearcoating to see if it helps, but unfortunately with a wet resin it may not be possible to avoid. but we are trying and will let you know
Old 02-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
So how much power will the full setup make on a stage 5+ car?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Helped make 530whp 599wtq on a mustange dyno( mods in Signiture). Helps top end substantially. Don't have before and after dyno so can't give you specific numbers.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:01 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo

correct, when they established the product it was on the basis that Vics first runs were his to make his money, and carbonio could use the mold and make the rest of the products to offset the production costs of the mold etc.

I have yet to see yellowing on the python tubes, but have see the yellowing on the boxes like Mo said. I am pretty sure it was a early prod thing, as they are/were aware of it and paul has stated that they made changes.

We just ordered 4 full sets in for customers, they all look great as far as quality.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chevrolet Traverse, Honda Cbr1000RR
So has the yellowing been officially been fixed?