W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Upgrades + Maintenance Items?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, E63
Performance Upgrades + Maintenance Items?

I am very close to purchasing the pulley + HE + pump upgrade for my 04 E55. Currently I can hear the faint "chirp" when really getting on the gas which from searching tells me it could be anything from normal to needing to have the supercharger bearing/clutch looked at.

My question is, while the shop has the front bumper off doing the performance upgrades, is there anything else maintenance wise that is due to go bad on these cars? I know thats a highly subjective question, but if there is anything blaring that makes sense to check/replace while I have it in the shop I would like to do it. Is the clutch/bearing replacement an item that makes sense in this case? My car has 36k miles.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Chirp is normal, but it is worth having a look while they are in there. There is nothing that really requires the bumper to be removed so I wouldnt worry about that.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:58 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by eye_s
I am very close to purchasing the pulley + HE + pump upgrade for my 04 E55. Currently I can hear the faint "chirp" when really getting on the gas which from searching tells me it could be anything from normal to needing to have the supercharger bearing/clutch looked at.

My question is, while the shop has the front bumper off doing the performance upgrades, is there anything else maintenance wise that is due to go bad on these cars? I know thats a highly subjective question, but if there is anything blaring that makes sense to check/replace while I have it in the shop I would like to do it. Is the clutch/bearing replacement an item that makes sense in this case? My car has 36k miles.
Not much to check behind the bumber but your clutch should not chirp on an 04 model.. They are easy to change but can cost near 1K to replace.. I would have them check the clutch, bearing and shim spacing..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 01-06-2011, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
My 04 chirpped for over a year. I think only the 06s had the newer clutch packs. My CLS does not make a peep.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 PM

E55, E63
thanks guys, great info.

emoving ... very nice choice of stance + rims.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
I would check the motor mounts and tranny mounts while the car is on the lift, You should be about due. And maybe an oil change, brake fluid flush.. Thats about all I can think of, hope this helps!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
Originally Posted by eye_s

at your mileage i'd probably throw in the tranny service. Especially considering you're about to put down some more torque.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Mercedes E55
I would definately have your supercharger clutch looked at! Mine was chirping for about 3 months and one night I decided to show off at a stop light and all the bearings came out? I ended up having to replace the supercharger clutch and the alternator??
Old 01-08-2011, 11:55 AM

SOLD 04 E55 Now 93 w124 3.2 sold W210 E55 sold waiting on W211 E63 p030
Mine never chirped, just all the bearings out all at once. Got it replaced under warranty the whole clutch assembly. BTW my ride now has 134k on the clock. Loving every mile!!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Mine chirped - had the SC clutch pack replaced under warranty. . .no more chirp and the engagement is WAY smoother. Also, has nothing to do with front bumper being off but crank position sensor. Common part that fails and when it does, you car goes into limp mode...just recently replaced mine as a preventative measure....
Old 01-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Mercedes E55
Originally Posted by motorkas
Mine chirped - had the SC clutch pack replaced under warranty. . .no more chirp and the engagement is WAY smoother. Also, has nothing to do with front bumper being off but crank position sensor. Common part that fails and when it does, you car goes into limp mode...just recently replaced mine as a preventative measure....

Is the crank position sensor expensive to replace? I have had to spend $2500 on my car within the past month and i'm tired of it being in the shop. I want to have anything else that might go out done all at once. I have 96K miles.