Sponsored by:

My 05 E55 Baseline Dyno Graph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
996 Guards red / 2008 Hayabusa / 2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by INTMD8
I ran this car on our dyno so I felt compelled to respond.

The car "actually made" what it actually made. Just because you prefer a mustang dyno does not make Dynojet numbers invalid.

Force = mass x acceleration

Work = force x distance

Power = work/time

Dynojet uses the above to calculate horsepower.

As far as a Mustang dyno being the same as the car driving down the street. When I'm driving my car down the street it accelerates through the gears and does so at a different sweep rate in every gear. It certainly isn't locked into a predetermined sweep rate.

Fact is, neither dyno exactly duplicates driving a car on the road but both are useful tuning tools that produce comparable numbers to their respective makes.

In conclusion, this thread was started to show the dyno results of the owners newly acquired E55. If you would like to debate the merits of different brands of dynomometers kindly start a new thread so we can leave this one on course.

-Jim

Bingo! Thats the facts.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by INTMD8
I ran this car on our dyno so I felt compelled to respond.

The car "actually made" what it actually made. Just because you prefer a mustang dyno does not make Dynojet numbers invalid.

Force = mass x acceleration

Work = force x distance

Power = work/time

Dynojet uses the above to calculate horsepower.

As far as a Mustang dyno being the same as the car driving down the street. When I'm driving my car down the street it accelerates through the gears and does so at a different sweep rate in every gear. It certainly isn't locked into a predetermined sweep rate.

Fact is, neither dyno exactly duplicates driving a car on the road but both are useful tuning tools that produce comparable numbers to their respective makes.

In conclusion, this thread was started to show the dyno results of the owners newly acquired E55. If you would like to debate the merits of different brands of dynomometers kindly start a new thread so we can leave this one on course.

-Jim

I continue to wonder why I don't read more about the use of windshield-mounted accelerometers (V-box, etc) or even smartphone apps (Bosch Light 'Em Up, etc).... If you have an accurate vehicle weight to use, it seems that most of these products should be able to give you a reasonably accurate estimate for HP/TQ. The best part is that it would be a "real world" measurement unlike dyno numbers that people always seem to discredit and argue over.

For comparing "before & after" modifications would seem very useful and the results should be repeatable. Perhaps people could still argue over the absolute numbers that a car puts down, but the relative improvement between a "before" and "after" change would be hard to dismiss.

With all the inexpensive data logging equipment available these days (especially the stuff that can easily stream OBD-II data via Bluetooth to a smartphone app) it seems like the vast majority of the information we used to rely on a chassis dyno to provide, can now be collected by the end-user on any stretch of open road.

-G
Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by GregMB
With all the inexpensive data logging equipment available these days (especially the stuff that can easily stream OBD-II data via Bluetooth to a smartphone app) it seems like the vast majority of the information we used to rely on a chassis dyno to provide, can now be collected by the end-user on any stretch of open road.

-G

Have you tried tuning a fast car on the street?

There have been many cases where people were hurt or killed trying to do it on the street.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WayneE
Have you tried tuning a fast car on the street?

There have been many cases where people were hurt or killed trying to do it on the street.

No...

But there is a sticky thread called "The Official 60-130 Thread" where people seem to be doing this exact type of data collection quite regularly.

Common sense should prevail when deciding when and where to actually try to capture the data; no argument there.

-G

Last edited by GregMB; 04-06-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
you need to do over 170 to get a full 4th gear pull on the street.186mph to be exact.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by skratch77
you need to do over 170 to get a full 4th gear pull on the street.186mph to be exact.

Eewwwww...... yeah right. I forgot about that. 4th gear is the 1:1 ratio in the transmission isn't it???

So much for my idea. I was thinking that a 0-100 run might be enough to gather useful data, but unless there is some credible way to factor out the effects of the extra gear reduction (and the 1-2, 2-3, and possibly 3-4 shifts) it's not going to provide useful results.

-G
Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
Originally Posted by pcasey06
put it on a mustang dyno for real world numbers, dynojet is always on the high side.

Those are good numbers to say the least.
Don't know why but when I use the dynojet VS the mustang dyno numbers are always higher from the dynojet.
There is nothing wrong with dynojet or the mustang dyno you just have to base each one seperatly and can't compare the two against each other.
Apples to Apples and Oranges to Oranges

Last edited by choppo; 04-06-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
mustang dyno's are more helpful for tuning because you can apply a variable load and hold the car at any RPM under full throttle. The numbers are not as important as the gains.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by skratch77
That's true, but my old G-Tech did HP estimates with just a 1/4 mile run, if I remember correctly.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by HeissRod
That's true, but my old G-Tech did HP estimates with just a 1/4 mile run, if I remember correctly.
I dont use a dyno for hp,I use it to see the before and after and make sure its got a good a/f.

A dyno is used for tuning a car,if you want to brag about your numbers prove it on the real dyno and bust out a 10 second pass.

There was a kid braggin about his 135 at the track one night saying he had everything done,meth,race gas,procede V4 intercooler,intakes,downpipes and was saying it put down 470whp and he couldnt trap over 114 that day while I was trapping 122 with 460whp in a car that weights 1000 lbs more than his.

Its funny how every one on e90 post uses a dynojet and posts std numbers over sae just to show inflated numbers

Last edited by skratch77; 04-06-2011 at 10:36 PM.