W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took my car to the dyno, I'm kinda disappointed.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by dynotronics1
Get an innovate OT-2 much cheaper and way faster that the dashdaq.

BTW, you guys are leaving MAJOR power on the table with that over rich lambda. Proper recurving of the fuel tables alone would net you a large gain..............
Thanks for the tip! I ordered my OT-2 from amazon for $155.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:57 PM

cls63 amg, cl55 amg,sl65 amg
Originally Posted by Velociabstract
It's possible that the pump is running but not circulating like it should. My dyno's are sad compared to what I see on the forums but they don't have them dyno'ed in P.R. I suspect lots of "special treatment" to get the numbers I sometimes see. Ice on the supercharger, 35º ambient temperatures etc. The first mod you should do IMO is a new I/C pump (cheap) and meth. injection. Then you can wave bye bye to the BM's. I don't have time after the Rental to realign my car for the road course and I have no traction at the drag strip with the road course alighment. I hope to line up with you one of these days. I have a feeling I'll be seeing taillights but hey, it's all in fun unless it's in Mexicu.

Les
Les, one of the very nice things that you can do with the Innovate software is use it to compare acceleration curves before and after tuning. With a little math, you can calculate the tq. Its not perfect, but it will give you a good reference for any mods you do. We sell tons of them to autocrossers here in the states
Old 01-16-2011, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I got my new scanner today and was shocked to find out what my IAT numbers were. In 85* temps my IAT's at IDLE would hover at 165*F and on a SINGLE WOT run ( complete 2nd and just bare 3rd ) it would go to 200*F. On a second run it went to 213*F.

Is it possible the pump is bad even though I can HEAR it running?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by GT-ER
I got my new scanner today and was shocked to find out what my IAT numbers were. In 85* temps my IAT's at IDLE would hover at 165*F and on a SINGLE WOT run ( complete 2nd and just bare 3rd ) it would go to 200*F. On a second run it went to 213*F.

Is it possible the pump is bad even though I can HEAR it running?
me and my bro both had 160 intake temps at idle with dead pumps

You will pick up about 30-40whp with new pump

stop going wot bro,I know a kid that blew a piston with a dead pump,those temps are veryhigh and the car shuts off s.c right around 195 ish
Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by skratch77
me and my bro both had 160 intake temps at idle with dead pumps

You will pick up about 30-40whp with new pump

stop going wot bro,I know a kid that blew a piston with a dead pump,those temps are veryhigh and the car shuts off s.c right around 195 ish
My SC isn't shutting off though...it'll still pull quite hard even at 210*+.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
My SC isn't shutting off though...it'll still pull quite hard even at 210*+.
Either way dont drive it hard,if you had a pulley on there you would be asking why my car dosnt idle right after a few more hard wots.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I turned the car on today and let it warm up at idle and then took the rubber cap off the intercooler water lines and it pushed out coolant with a very decent amount of force ( enough to spray half my engine bay...lol ). I guess the pump is working then? So what could be causing the temps to be so high?

Also, is the SC supposed to me spinning at idle? I thought the clutch was supposed to only apply at WOT?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:43 AM

CLS55 AMG
What us the right IAT temps at idle & after a run. Tnx
Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
I guess I should start by saying my engine is the supercharged 3.2 and I have a homemade heat exchanger and isolated intercooler circuit. But as a reference point, my IAT's run around 20º over ambient temperature. They will climb to 160 or 170º while racing but return to 135º in the return lane. On my car the intercooler pump (still stock) comes on the first time the engine is revved to around 2000 rpm and remains on until the car is turned off. The supercharger is not engaged at startup. It will freewheel and appear to be engaged. Once it's engaged it stays engaged until the car is turned off.
You have something wrong. It could be as simple as a gunked up or blocked heat exchanger. Find the problem and you should find lots of power too.

Les
Old 01-16-2011, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
Speaking of O2 sensors, anyone know what the voltages sensor read outs correlate to AFR ratios for 63s?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I found this image one the web:

Keep in mind that 1 Lambda = 14.7 A/F Ratio.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I checked again and my SC clutch is free wheeling when the car is off....but when I turn it on it's locked spinning the SC at idle. I have no codes or anything though.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal on the E55?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
anyone?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 PM

996 Guards red / 2008 Hayabusa / 2004 E55 AMG
anyone?

Everyone has mentioned, you have a problem with IAT's that high. Even if the pump is dead I am sure since the system is interconnected with the engine cooling system, it will still be pressurized. Replace the pump .
Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Zmydust
Everyone has mentioned, you have a problem with IAT's that high. Even if the pump is dead I am sure since the system is interconnected with the engine cooling system, it will still be pressurized. Replace the pump .
I will, what I'm asking is this:

checked again and my SC clutch is free wheeling when the car is off....but when I turn it on it's locked spinning the SC at idle. I have no codes or anything though.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal on the E55?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
The belt is attached to the pulley,it will spin at all times when the car is on.how do you expect it to not spin by looking at the setup?

Its supposed to spin free and once the car is running it spins(free like when it was off)but the clutch on the other side is not conecting it to the actuall supercharger.If it was stuck on you would not be able to spin it at all with the car off.

like we told you,Im 99.99% sure you have a dead pump

When you drive off boost for a while and give it throttle,can you feel the supercharger engaging on?

Last edited by skratch77; 01-17-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by skratch77
The belt is attached to the pulley,it will spin at all times when the car is on.how do you expect it to not spin by looking at the setup?

Its supposed to spin free and once the car is running it spins(free like when it was off)but the clutch on the other side is not conecting it to the actuall supercharger.If it was stuck on you would not be able to spin it at all with the car off.

like we told you,Im 99.99% sure you have a dead pump

When you drive off boost for a while and give it throttle,can you feel the supercharger engaging on?

I don't think you're understanding me.

The pulley on the SC will always spin, but the large black cylinder that goes behind the pulley is attached to the SC gears. With the car off the pulley will not spin because the belt is keeping it still, but the large black cylinder behind it WILL spin because the clutch is not locked. When I turn the car on however, BOTH the pulley and the large black cylinder will spin and the clutch is ON...this is at idle.

I DO sometimes feel the car jolt with power when makes me believe it's the SC clutch doing it's thing...but what was strange to me was that it's active even at idle. Yet it seems like it's working normally ( meaning that it's doesn't seem broken since the clutch is inactive with the car off ). My question was if this was normal.

I moved on from the intercooler pump because until I get the new one ( should be tomorrow ) I have nothing more to add.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
On a cold start the car will spin the supercharger.are you saying the supercharger is on all the time?can u hear it on all the time?

What you said about the belt and black thing is normal.its supposed to spin free
Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 AM

SRT-6
I thought mine was engaged at idle. It always appears to be but if you carefully, gently put some friction to it (gloved hand for instance) it will stop spinning. I don't really suggest you try, but I did. Perhaps a rubber mallet would be safer if you have to know for sure. Be safe.

Les
Old 01-18-2011, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I don't think it's on ALL the time because it'll sometimes feel like it's engaging at part throttle when I give it a little gas but at idle it seems to be on ALL the time. I thought it just the friction from the bearing make it spin as if it were engaged but when I tried to stop it I couldn't. I also thought that it was maybe the warmup but even after the car was warm it would still be locked. I even thought that maybe my clutch was bad but when I turn the car off it disengages and spins smoothly with no noise.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think you're understanding me.

The pulley on the SC will always spin, but the large black cylinder that goes behind the pulley is attached to the SC gears. With the car off the pulley will not spin because the belt is keeping it still, but the large black cylinder behind it WILL spin because the clutch is not locked. When I turn the car on however, BOTH the pulley and the large black cylinder will spin and the clutch is ON...this is at idle.

I DO sometimes feel the car jolt with power when makes me believe it's the SC clutch doing it's thing...but what was strange to me was that it's active even at idle. Yet it seems like it's working normally ( meaning that it's doesn't seem broken since the clutch is inactive with the car off ). My question was if this was normal.

I moved on from the intercooler pump because until I get the new one ( should be tomorrow ) I have nothing more to add.

That phenomen is normal, dont worry! It is because of air inertia (engine pulls air thruu intake (thruu supercharger) and that inertia is pulling supercharger rotors with it. So it is spinning at idle, yes. But you can stop it with hands if you want just to be sure that clutch indeed isnt engage, only inertia is wotking its job. But be carefull when doing that because it take a lot of effort to stop it.
That phenomen is only showing you that your supercharger rotors are in perfect condition (they seals very good).
Old 01-18-2011, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Snogard
That phenomen is normal, dont worry! It is because of air inertia (engine pulls air thruu intake (thruu supercharger) and that inertia is pulling supercharger rotors with it. So it is spinning at idle, yes. But you can stop it with hands if you want just to be sure that clutch indeed isnt engage, only inertia is wotking its job. But be carefull when doing that because it take a lot of effort to stop it.
That phenomen is only showing you that your supercharger rotors are in perfect condition (they seals very good).
Okay. I tried to stop it with my hands but I couldn't stop it. I didn't apply crazy force though cause my hands would just slip off. I guess it's pretty normal then.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay. I tried to stop it with my hands but I couldn't stop it. I didn't apply crazy force though cause my hands would just slip off. I guess it's pretty normal then.
Yes, it is normal. The more force is needed to stop it, the better your supercharger is (the tighter the tolerances are (rotors to casing), the more boost is capable to make)
Old 01-19-2011, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Snogard
Yes, it is normal. The more force is needed to stop it, the better your supercharger is (the tighter the tolerances are (rotors to casing), the more boost is capable to make)
Cool....good to know then.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Well, good news for me! I took the stock pump out and the magnet was in three peices inside. It could barely spin the impeller when on. Car feels amazing now!

Time to redyno and take it to the track...weeee!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Took my car to the dyno, I'm kinda disappointed.