Sponsored by:

New E55 AMG owner with a secondary air injection issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E55K AMG
New E55 AMG owner with a secondary air injection issue

I've recently bought an early 2004 E55 AMG, and within a couple of days I got the management light come up, there were 2 issues,

1 was the secondary air injection temp was too low so the pump and relay were replaced.

2 was the charge cooler pump issue which was also replaced.

I got it back last week but the management light has come back and it is the secondary air injection issue again, I got the work done under warranty but I don't know why this pump would fail again so quickly?, the performance of the car is fine but and the IC pump issue is fully resolved.
I've read that Mercedes did a recall on the ECU that tells the fan to switch off, and there is a problem with the relay too?, so I'm guessing it's likely that mine hasn't had the recall?, if this is right do they still offer the recall now? and is the pump likey to be fried again or will the ECU flash and relay replacement hopefully cure it?.

Does this apply to US cars only as mine is a Euro car in RHD, any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:53 AM

Mercedes E55K AMG
Anyone at all?.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM

Merc E55 AMG, BMW 328i
I've had the same issue - pump is fine and everything else checks out it just is not engaging when it is supposed to (60 seconds on cold start).

Have had it into 2 different shops on 3 occasions and nobody seems to be able to get to the bottom of it.

Basically the advice I got was to spend 3k on a new board and that *might* fix the issue or just ignore it as it has no impact on the operation / performance of the car.

If anyone has any insight into this I would also be curious - as resetting the light with a code read gets tiresome.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Silverado, 03 H2, 66 Nova SS, 03 E55
This worked for me.... https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...heres-how.html
Old 03-18-2011, 09:48 AM

w211 E55
Also this issue

Ive got the same code and ive changed the airvalves. Still the code is there... im gonna follow try following the link above and see what comes up.

Im hoping its a fuse or the relay.

/Regards
Hulle
Old 06-30-2011, 02:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
if it happened within a couple days of you purchasing the car, you got hosed.
the guy who sold it to you had the CEL switched off and it hadnt been a full cycle before you purchased it.....
Old 07-01-2011, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E55
I have been living with the P0410 code for about three months now. I asked around and found out that its noting serious to worry about.

So my solution to the problem was a $20 bluetooth OBD2 adapter from Ebay and a $4.95 app(Torque) from the android market, and it takes me about 30 seconds to turn off the check engine light with my Droid X. And the light comes on every 2-3 days.

I will probably fix the problem soon though just because I love my car.

I also heard that there was a recall on the secondary air injection pump; however I checked with my VIN number at the dealer and I was told the recall was taken care of when the car had 32k miles. (I am second owner, bought the car with 38k miles)
Old 07-01-2011, 01:25 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by IloveAMG
I have been living with the P0410 code for about three months now. I asked around and found out that its noting serious to worry about.

So my solution to the problem was a $20 bluetooth OBD2 adapter from Ebay and a $4.95 app(Torque) from the android market, and it takes me about 30 seconds to turn off the check engine light with my Droid X. And the light comes on every 2-3 days.

I also heard that there was a recall on the secondary air injection pump; however I checked with my VIN number at the dealer and I was told the recall was taken care of when the car had 32k miles. (I am second owner, bought the car with 38k miles)
Thanks IloveAMG for the information, based on that........I FOUND THE APP AND A GUIDE ON WHICH ADAPTERS TO BUY AND NOT TO BUY

http://torque-bhp.com/software/torqu...obd2-adapters/

Last edited by ryback; 07-01-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by IloveAMG

Technology is absolutely amazing, ain't it?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:32 PM

'04 E55
Hi - not sure if this will assist you at all - but may be worth checking

I had a similar issue after the sec air pump and relay/fuses etc were all replaced

I have a 2004 E55 (RHD Euro) - the secondary air pump had basically melted internally/seized and caused the check engine light to illuminate. A new pump, relays etc were installed and all was fine for a few days (only a couple of 30 min runs though), then the CEL came back on - same code. Relay replaced again in the thought that there may have been a bad contact etc. Again ok for a couple of days.

Then the CEL came on again after the car had warmed up after about 10 mins driving - same driving pattern as the first time it re-illuminated. Fine when cold then on after 10-15 mins.

To their credit the auto shop then went through and rechecked the whole circuit, relays, isolated and re checked the air pump - all seemed to be ok.

They then discovered that there was another set of fuses that were in the right hand side foot well - inside the car - in a right hand drive on the drivers side up above the pedal area underneath the carpet that were also involved in this circuit.

They had to remove the accelerator pedal and carpet etc to get to it - there was supposedly a fuse related to the air pump circuit in there that had blown - they replaced this fuse - retested - no code generated - air pump working - starting running for 40 seconds or so - shutting down - basically doing exactly what it was supposed to.

It has been fine for several months now so perhaps if you are still getting the CEL on after having the code reset, and if like me it was actually once the car had warmed up, perhaps have a look and see if there is a blown fuse - Hope this may help, but at the least it may be worth checking this set of fuses if the guys that have replaced your secondary airpump haven't already
Old 07-03-2011, 09:35 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cbay996
Hi - not sure if this will assist you at all - but may be worth checking

I had a similar issue after the sec air pump and relay/fuses etc were all replaced

I have a 2004 E55 (RHD Euro) - the secondary air pump had basically melted internally/seized and caused the check engine light to illuminate. A new pump, relays etc were installed and all was fine for a few days (only a couple of 30 min runs though), then the CEL came back on - same code. Relay replaced again in the thought that there may have been a bad contact etc. Again ok for a couple of days.

Then the CEL came on again after the car had warmed up after about 10 mins driving - same driving pattern as the first time it re-illuminated. Fine when cold then on after 10-15 mins.

To their credit the auto shop then went through and rechecked the whole circuit, relays, isolated and re checked the air pump - all seemed to be ok.

They then discovered that there was another set of fuses that were in the right hand side foot well - inside the car - in a right hand drive on the drivers side up above the pedal area underneath the carpet that were also involved in this circuit.

They had to remove the accelerator pedal and carpet etc to get to it - there was supposedly a fuse related to the air pump circuit in there that had blown - they replaced this fuse - retested - no code generated - air pump working - starting running for 40 seconds or so - shutting down - basically doing exactly what it was supposed to.

It has been fine for several months now so perhaps if you are still getting the CEL on after having the code reset, and if like me it was actually once the car had warmed up, perhaps have a look and see if there is a blown fuse - Hope this may help, but at the least it may be worth checking this set of fuses if the guys that have replaced your secondary airpump haven't already

thanks for the info. i'm sure you will save someone a ton of money!