W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best/Worst of e55 amg?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
Just save up a bit more ang get one with warranty... the cars are great. Preventative maintenance is the key. With the warranty you can drive worry free and not have to come out of pocket much for repairs. Warranty is key with any AMG car.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by emoving
Really, I have had a few 55s all lowered on ELMs and have never had a suspension issue. What is HUGE cost for brakes???? I paid $100 a rotor from the dealer, $150 for pads and had a friend put them on my E55. If you think that is HUGE, then you have never owned a car worth a crap. Even a Toyota Camry brake job would run around $350.
As others have said, if you plan to take it to the dealer everytime, you are screwed. If you have hook ups other places, you will be fine. The engines and trannies are pretty bulletproof. There are minor things that go bad, like SC pumps($150), SC clutch and parts($900) and on a rare occasion, a strut which you can get rebuilt or replacement parts for around $500. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that have these cars that can't afford them, they buy high mileage cars, mod the crap out of them and then they break. That gives them a bad name. Otherwise, they are solid machines! Oh and try the search button, they did not even make a 07 so go ahead and cross that one off your list.

WELL SAID MARCUS....
Old 01-24-2011, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Find one thread of a SC failure!
i did not know the person, but he claimed foreign matter went into it when he was running without air filters.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Unfortunately there are a lot of people that have these cars that can't afford them, they buy high mileage cars, mod the crap out of them and then they break. That gives them a bad name. Otherwise, they are solid machines! Oh and try the search button, they did not even make a 07 so go ahead and cross that one off your list.
+1

And we've also been through this plenty of times on MBWorld: these are not inexpensive cars when new and they aren't inexpensive cars to maintain when used. People buying a used 996 because they're cheap to buy run into the same issue: expensive to fix. Go buy a used Italian exotic or an Aston or a Jag for cheap. Used prices are affordable. Repair isn't.

Originally Posted by GT-ER
I haven't had my car long enough to say anything bad about the suspension, but there are 7 billion threads on people being stranded due to an airmatic failure of some sort and the rears seem like a real killer.
Show me 7 billion threads of people stranded with Airmatic. Airmatic can fail (like any strut) but you have plenty of warning signals. The few who have reported being stranded never pay attention to the car's behavior and keep on driving when they get symptoms. There are hundreds of thousands of MBs fitted with air suspension. They still use Airmatic on current cars. Where are all those people? On the side of the road?

The rear is a "killer" but not a "real" one. That's because the MB protocol at the dealer is to drop the rear to install. Because the air line isn't supposed to be pulled off the nipple to the reservoir. It's primarily a labor cost. But an Indy will show you how to do it. They don't have to follow protocol like the dealer does.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:03 PM

2005 E55 & 2007 335iC
Find one thread of a SC failure!
i agree with emoving... and btw your cls looks amazing, i like your history of AMG's
Old 01-24-2011, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
i did not know the person, but he claimed foreign matter went into it when he was running without air filters.
WTF......you seriously posted that stupid comment on "multiple" super charger failures based on that worthless piece of information that you read "somewhere but don't know where". Way to help out a possible buyer with that gift bit. That is the dumbest thing I may have read yet. Some retard is driving around with no airfilters in a high performance car and sucks debris up damaging the engine. And that is the fault of MB......how? Newsflash newbie.....if you drive ANY car around with no air filter.....you will eventually do damage. You may want to just read threads instead if posting meaningless, baseless information
Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
nowhere did i say it was the Mercs fault, i said he brought it to a dealer and it was expensive..
Old 01-24-2011, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
If your running around without air filters then you are a true bonehead.. When i opened up my air boxes last summer you should have seen how much stuff the filters block from going into the engine..
Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 220S
+1

And we've also been through this plenty of times on MBWorld: these are not inexpensive cars when new and they aren't inexpensive cars to maintain when used. People buying a used 996 because they're cheap to buy run into the same issue: expensive to fix. Go buy a used Italian exotic or an Aston or a Jag for cheap. Used prices are affordable. Repair isn't.

Show me 7 billion threads of people stranded with Airmatic. Airmatic can fail (like any strut) but you have plenty of warning signals. The few who have reported being stranded never pay attention to the car's behavior and keep on driving when they get symptoms. There are hundreds of thousands of MBs fitted with air suspension. They still use Airmatic on current cars. Where are all those people? On the side of the road?

The rear is a "killer" but not a "real" one. That's because the MB protocol at the dealer is to drop the rear to install. Because the air line isn't supposed to be pulled off the nipple to the reservoir. It's primarily a labor cost. But an Indy will show you how to do it. They don't have to follow protocol like the dealer does.

Being left stranded does not mean "stranded on the road"...you could be left stranded in your house.

You'd be lying to yourself if you think the airmatic system is reliable. I have yet to meet an E-class owner that has never had an airmatic failure ( And I've met quite a few ).

FWIW, I work at an airport and in the parking lot there are currently TWO MB's stranded due to airmatic failure...lol. Just so happens I saw them yesterday...I know it's a lot of coincidence but I found it kinda funny ( and disturbing ).
Old 01-24-2011, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Being left stranded does not mean "stranded on the road"...you could be left stranded in your house.

You'd be lying to yourself if you think the airmatic system is reliable. I have yet to meet an E-class owner that has never had an airmatic failure ( And I've met quite a few ).

FWIW, I work at an airport and in the parking lot there are currently TWO MB's stranded due to airmatic failure...lol. Just so happens I saw them yesterday...I know it's a lot of coincidence but I found it kinda funny ( and disturbing ).
Well you have never met me.. I have had no issues with my airmatic..(knock on wood)
Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
I've NEVER had an airmatic failure or issue in 97K miles.... Airmatic is reliable
Old 01-24-2011, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by andrew knight
Well you have never met me.. I have had no issues with my airmatic..(knock on wood)
You're right...I haven't. Nor did I say that there is a 100% failure rate.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
I have had 2 E55s and a CLS55 and no airmatic failures.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Interesting...now no one has had an airmatic failure...lol. Since I'm all up for being proven wrong...I've started a poll:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...c-failure.html
Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by andrew knight
If your running around without air filters then you are a true bonehead.. When i opened up my air boxes last summer you should have seen how much stuff the filters block from going into the engine..
I realize that, and im glad I dont know him. i change my air filters a lot because im in the country and its very dusty and lots of stuff gets up there. and i would NEVER run my car w/o filters.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S

i got mine in september 2004 and it is a 2005 MY.

untill now it has 62k miles. modded like hell and junped through several times on humps.

untill now

non of them have failed.

one of the reasons that i noticed which lead to failure is that if you lower it too much or drive it on sport 2 alot.

most of my driving is on comfort. + never used to ride passengers. most of the time me + a passenger. rarely me + 2 passengers. ^_^
Old 01-25-2011, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had a Bilstein coilover strut blow out on me and it left me stranded. A long way from home. I also had a KW strut leak that was not detectable and eventually fail to operate which made me have to get the car flat bedded. And there are no warning lights or messages that go off when they're about to fail or when they've actually failed. If I had kept on driving I would have damaged many suspension components.

I've never been stranded on the side of the road nor at my home or anybody's home driving a car with Airmatic. Nor have I ever experienced a failure.

So what can I say? That I'm "lying to myself?"
Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Airmatic can fail (like any strut) but you have plenty of warning signals. The few who have reported being stranded never pay attention to the car's behavior and keep on driving when they get symptoms.
I had absolutely ZERO symptoms when my rear failed. Well, technically, I did have one "symptom..." When I shut the engine off the day it failed, it made a screeching sound. I thought it was someone's serpentine belt squealing (I was outside of my car sitting at a table when the sound started). When I got back into the car and started it up (the car was backed into the spot and was on an incline, plus I was with a date so I wasn't paying any attention to the vehicle), I got a red message saying Airmatic Failure (or whatever message came up)... So, if you call that "plenty of warning signals," then yes, I did... But I doubt anyone could say that I had plenty of warning...

My car isn't lowered, nor do I drive around in Sport I or II very often...
Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
I have to repair my passenger seat when I take someone for a ride for the first time ..........................from the whole they blow through the base

GET ONE and if you change your mind sell it, but you will find it hard to let go of the addiction.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
I had a Bilstein coilover strut blow out on me and it left me stranded. A long way from home. I also had a KW strut leak that was not detectable and eventually fail to operate which made me have to get the car flat bedded. And there are no warning lights or messages that go off when they're about to fail or when they've actually failed. If I had kept on driving I would have damaged many suspension components.

I've never been stranded on the side of the road nor at my home or anybody's home driving a car with Airmatic. Nor have I ever experienced a failure.

I drove 10 miles with a busted driver air strut on 19's, rubbed the arch when turning. Front was 2inch off the ground.

replacement took me 40mins thanks to the DIY thread.

If you get one just stay away from the stealer and you will be fine.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG

I've had over 20 cars in my life and have had one one strut failure ( huge pot hole ) and it did not leave me stranded ( I used the car like this for a week bouncing all over the place...lol ). You cannot tell me the airmatic system is more reliable than a standard strut/spring system. I must admit that perhaps I was hating on the system more than I should have, which is evident by the poll I opened. But even at a near 40% failure rate ( poll is at 38% right now, let's see how it goes in a few days ) that's pretty freaking high. I should open a new poll on a W203 forum or something to see how many failures they get ( and I don't mean slowly wearing out failures, I mean full blown leaving you stranded failures...like airmatic does ).
Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
As a DD - I would be prettty worried about this car without a warranty. DIY maintenance and parts online help allot. So as an occasional / weekend car maintenance & running costs should not be a major issue.

But no one has mentioned the mod bug?

You need at least 5k$ set aside when this hits you and trust me it will. And be prepared to see that number rise and rise quickly.....
Old 01-25-2011, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Originally Posted by Limen
Well, I kind of disagree. I don't feel like the E55 is all that expensive to maintain. Compared to other cars that I have owned, its really quite reliable, and I have yet to have a "huge" repair bill after almost two years of owning it.
No doubt. This car has been great on my wallet for maintenance. Best daily driver I could imagine at this point in my life.

Originally Posted by stevebez
But no one has mentioned the mod bug?

You need at least 5k$ set aside when this hits you and trust me it will. And be prepared to see that number rise and rise quickly.....
And.... This is where this car kicked my nuts.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
FWIW, I've had my '06 about 15 months. Bought with 34K, now at 41K. I've had one slow leaker strut replaced and one hard failure that occurred overnight while the car was garaged. With stock wheels & tires the car isn't exactly undriveable with a failed strut, but neither is it normally driveable. More like you can limp along to get off the road.

So far, my personal experience is that airmatic fails every 4K miles...
Old 01-25-2011, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've had over 20 cars in my life and have had one one strut failure ( huge pot hole ) and it did not leave me stranded ( I used the car like this for a week bouncing all over the place...lol ). You cannot tell me the airmatic system is more reliable than a standard strut/spring system. I must admit that perhaps I was hating on the system more than I should have, which is evident by the poll I opened. But even at a near 40% failure rate ( poll is at 38% right now, let's see how it goes in a few days ) that's pretty freaking high. I should open a new poll on a W203 forum or something to see how many failures they get ( and I don't mean slowly wearing out failures, I mean full blown leaving you stranded failures...like airmatic does ).
One was a 993 and the other was a M3. There's no way I was going to drive either with a failed strut. I'm not talking a Honda Accord with 100k on the same OEM suspension components. An expensive Bilstein PSS-10 or KW v1/v2 shouldn't fail but they did. And they do. They're pretty sophisticated (similar to Motons) and can have issues, like an Airmatic strut (take a look at a schematic, there are a lot of parts involved; I have the tech bulletin on the system in a pdf file if you want it.)

You should also poll the S Class forum (ABC is an option on the S, the rest have Airmatic), the R Class, the GL Class, the ML Class, the CLS Class.

But maybe this time around make a poll with mileage, stock/modified, etc., taken into consideration rather than just a fail yes/no. It would be informative to understand any variables involved (like any good poll.)

And I wonder about the Range Rover forums, the Audi forums, the Lexus forums, the BMW forums, the Jaguar forums. They have models with air suspension. I wonder what the stats are on those systems.

The only folks who have the real data outside of random polls in car forums are MBUSA and the dealers. I'm curious why Daimler keeps using this system if it's bad? Maybe Daimler uses Airmatic to get rich off spare parts? Although it sounds like they're shooting themselves in the foot since most Airmatic replacements seem to be under CPO or extended warranty.

p.s., my Indy claims the components have changed over the years and the system gets less replacement rates each time around. Can we assume that a 2009 or 2010 is less prone to failure than a 7-8 year old E55?

Last edited by 220S; 01-25-2011 at 06:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Best/Worst of e55 amg?