Sponsored by:

FAN COOLED HEAT EXCHANGER

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 12:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 AMG
FAN COOLED HEAT EXCHANGER

Why is there not a fan cooled Heatexchanger for our vehicles??
Wouldn't any type of addition to aid in cooling be beneficial given the our IAT problems, especially at idle.
If there does exsist a direct bolt on application, please provide link.
Thanks in advance
Old 01-29-2011, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
any small electric fan would be a direct bolt-on...
Old 01-29-2011, 09:36 AM

E55 AMG
Im sorry, what I meant was a direct bolt on Heatexchanger equipped with fans. Not a fan that will bolt on to a heatexchanger
Old 01-29-2011, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGV855
Im sorry, what I meant was a direct bolt on Heatexchanger equipped with fans. Not a fan that will bolt on to a heatexchanger
What he is saying is it is avaliable just buy an 8'' spahl fan and wire a switch. I bet it will be 50% cheaper than if any H/E came with one.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
A fan similar to a rad fan but small enough to attach to the H/E. Not a bad idea, not sure how well it would cool while at speed but I'm sure it could help with recover times.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:27 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Evolved8
What he is saying is it is avaliable just buy an 8'' spahl fan and wire a switch. I bet it will be 50% cheaper than if any H/E came with one.
Oh I see.... Prob true, have you done this? if you haven't why not?...I was thinking of the advantage of having something thats ready to go. I suppose in terms of cost it could be cheaper to just bolt a fan on.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Oh I see.... Prob true, have you done this? if you haven't why not?...I was thinking of the advantage of having something thats ready to go. I suppose in terms of cost it could be cheaper to just bolt a fan on.
I will have a DIY on it shortly. It will help, 2 Spahl fans mounted acting as "Pullers" on the back of the H/E will pull a ton more air through the fins causing Cooler IAT's. Alot of the G-35 guys use them on there Turbo setups for the intercooler bcause the air dam in the front bumper is very small, choking down incomming air to the intercooler.

Trending Topics

Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 coupe; 2007 E63 AMG (sold)
My E63 and I are very interested in this DIY. FL summer approaches...
Old 01-29-2011, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i've done it and i honestly don't think it's worth the effort as long as your i/c system is already working properly. iat's always come back to an inefficient i/c core rather than the heat exchanger set up.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
i think we have to keep the IAT under control at WOT. it may help a bit to keep them low at idle.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:01 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i've done it and i honestly don't think it's worth the effort as long as your i/c system is already working properly. iat's always come back to an inefficient i/c core rather than the heat exchanger set up.

That is exactly why I was reffering to a unit already manufactured with the fans installed that just bolts up, no effort involved.

The system working properly is one thing, but to work even better is another. The cooler the better(to a point of course)

In regards to the problem always coming back to a inefficient i/c core rather than the heat exchanger set up, I you are CORRECT, HOWEVER the H/E is part of the system and the better the H/E at aiding in cooling the less need noticable the inefficientcy of the I/C.

The fans would help keep IAT's lower in traffic, idle, low speeds slightly,
staging lanes etc. The idea is to replicate or substitute the high velocity of wind at high speeds being pushed through the fins of the H/E to cool it down, so the fans are placed at the back, to Suck or pull air into the H/E in a simmilar manner that the wind at high speeds pushes in.

In regards to keeping IAT's under control at wide open throttle like Shardul stated you are %100% correct! and it helping a bit to have them low at idle, is true, but I think it helps more than just a bit, okay maybe just a bit more than a bit, basically I feel the addition of the fans is not detrimental in any significant way, cost maybe and weight, but I feel like the benefits out way the cons, WOT obviously creates more heat than idle and the H/E quickly abosorbs some of that Heat, but the fans would aid in cooling between your runs by helping the H/E cool off and get ready to abosrb for the next go. Does that make sense?
Old 01-29-2011, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

your logic is spot on, however, after going overboard on my cooling system in an attempt to keep iat's in check i've come to a single conclusion. our i/c core is just not efficient enough, no matter how efficient our h/e is.

the set up in my picture is actually a secondary h/e located under the rear bumper of my car. i also have a trunk mounted reservoir to increase capacity and the fans hardwired to a 3 way switch in the cabin. after much data logging i can safely say that the secondary h/e and fans are overkill because it's the i/c core that just can't pass enough cooling effects to the intake air rather than the h/e being able to lower i/c coolant temps.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:22 PM

E55 AMG
your logic is spot on, however, after going overboard on my cooling system in an attempt to keep iat's in check i've come to a single conclusion. our i/c core is just not efficient enough, no matter how efficient our h/e is.

the set up in my picture is actually a secondary h/e located under the rear bumper of my car. i also have a trunk mounted reservoir to increase capacity and the fans hardwired to a 3 way switch in the cabin. after much data logging i can safely say that the secondary h/e and fans are overkill because it's the i/c core that just can't pass enough cooling effects to the intake air rather than the h/e being able to lower i/c coolant temps.
wow nicely done, out of cuiosity, you mention the secondary H/E and fans are overkill, did you mean in combination? or doing either one is overkill?
what are your thoughts in regards to split cooling?
I do not want a trunk mounted resevoir, and prefer not to split the cooling. In my case do you believe there to be a benefit in a Heatexchanger with cooling fans?
sorry to bombard you with questions, it just seems youve been there done that and I really appreciate your input
Old 01-29-2011, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

in my testing the secondary h/e and fans are both overkill. if i was starting over i would just do an oversize h/e and split circuit as a minimum or consider a killerchiller set up for the ultimate in cooling this side of top mount slr style i/c's.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:34 PM

E55 AMG
in my testing the secondary h/e and fans are both overkill. if i was starting over i would just do an oversize h/e and split circuit as a minimum or consider a killerchiller set up for the ultimate in cooling this side of top mount slr style i/c's.

I guess you learned the hard way, I appreciate you saving me from that,
in regards to split cooling, where is the benefit considering it flows in a separate circuit from the engine coolant already?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess you learned the hard way, I appreciate you saving me from that,
in regards to split cooling, where is the benefit considering it flows in a separate circuit from the engine coolant already?
it's not completely seperate. although the connection between the enging and i/c coolant circuits is small and supposedly just to allow for filling of the i/c circuit without having an extra reservoir, member data logging has shown an increase in base iat temps and an increase in iat recovery period in stock configuration. removing the connection is simple enough to include if you're adding a high capacity h/e and wanting to remedy problematic iat's.

in the past, the reason we ran the lower thermostat and performed the 10* fan mod was not to control engine coolant temps, it was a bandaid to help control iat temps due to the connected circuits.