Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
@220s...totally agree !!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by 220S
My 2009 is fine; no tappet noise at all and the tranny shifts great in all modes. Mo's correct that you do need to keep an eye out for the right sample. Some of these are coming off lease and some will have been abused. I drive mine spiritedly but I don't ream on it. I changed out my oil several times before the engine was fully broken in (at around 12k or so) and it uses no oil.
I actually meant an 08 or 09 with lots of drag strip mileage (burnouts, multi-passes, etc...) when I look back to all the track events we've had over the past few years, I don't recall seeing any 08 or 09 E63s there.... they were mostly 07 models. It'd be interesting to see if there are any drag-strip proven 08s and 09s out there. It is so weird to me that 3 transmissions would all be defective.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 02-23-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by malakasnyc
i shouldve stuck to Helms brothers
Sucks to hear man. That's the only dealer I bring it too. My SA has been pretty mod friendly
Old 02-23-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I actually meant an 08 or 09 with lots of drag strip mileage (burnouts, multi-passes, etc...) when I look back to all the track events we've had over the past few years, I don't recall seeing any 08 or 09 E63s there.... they were mostly 07 models. It'd be interesting to see if there are any drag-strip proven 08s and 09s out there. It is so weird to me that 3 transmissions would all be defective.
MO ;

My issues actually started after the last host of mods , In 09 with the Kleemann exhaust , evo pulley , Kleemann tune and Carbonio the car was hot lapped @ 2 track rentals with 20 passes the first time and around 10 the
2nd with no issues at all .

After the Cat delete , 3 inch pipe to resonators , Evo Rotors, OE tune and a few more mods to the air box the car made alot more power but thats when the problem started .

i personally think that this car lowered puts strain on the drive train as well as the weight and increased HP the trans cant take it .

Did you ever here the EVO clk blackseries 200 MPH dyno run ???? When the trans sounded like its grinding on the shifts ??? Thats exactly how my car sounded and to my thats wierd .

either way i have a few months left and sure at chit i am gonna drive the car until it goes back or brakes again .

i love getting on the car but i dont abuse it like a DH and floor it at every stop sign or green light to say i abuse the car or use the paddles and redline it like a nubie , i like opening it up on a clear road or highway so i have to say its not me causing this problem .

first trans went @ the track , 2nd was a poor install and they left the original tq coverter "which i said blew up originally " and happened to go at the track and the 3rd transmission was just installed by the moron techs @ mb Massapequa that tried to cop out and say it was the tune and the ME that caused the problems . Lets see maybe it will adapt and the sloppy shifts will go away .

Last edited by DAGREEKNYC; 02-24-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Yeah, I get what you're saying. It would be nice to see more 08 and 09's on the track (and where are the W212s??) My guess is that they will hold up as well; it doesn't makes any real sense why not if the components are basically the same. And I don't recall any TSBs or anything changed with the motors.

The only thing my Indy claims is different with the tranny is the valve body and software differences in the later ones.

I think Malakas's situation is unique as he says. Lots of mods and track use but maybe more than anything were issues with bad techs and the dealer, etc.. I don't think anybody here is abusing their cars, but nobody really knows the limit to what they can take.

There was a lot of talk on Porsche forums about how much you can push a modern car these days with all the electronics and components that rely on each other; in other words you take one thing in the chain and change it and it can have a big domino effect.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
One of them the paddle shifters didn't work at all and the other had a "howling" sound in 3rd gear.
Both with under 30k miles.

-----That sounds like a bad torque converter, I already had to go through it two times...
Old 02-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Banned

amg
Tony,you shoulda bought my car&ud prolly have gone 11.70s w ur parts on it already
Old 02-24-2011, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Yeah, I get what you're saying. It would be nice to see more 08 and 09's on the track (and where are the W212s??) My guess is that they will hold up as well; it doesn't makes any real sense why not if the components are basically the same. And I don't recall any TSBs or anything changed with the motors.
You are correct.... for right now, it is only a "guess". What I was trying to say was that with today's modern cars, sometimes one could get surprised from the results of what "is expected" to happen versus what actually happens. Regarding software changes, I know there are enough differences between 2007 and 2009 to cause noticeable changes in behavior especially on the tranny side. Over the past 3 years, my tech has showed me a bunch of what he called "optional" software and hardware changes, which did cause a very noticeable difference on my car, and create a very interesting test phase for both of us In regards to 2008 models, I don't really know of many differences between 2007 and 2008. Also remember that sometimes the materials change and suppliers change despite having same part numbers, so there could be even a few more differences which we would not know about too easily.

Regarding the W212s, I've only seen 2 of them at the track so far. They did not perform too good (13.2 to 13.5) mainly due to poor launches, which was believed to be due to poor burnouts, which I personally believe was due to the MCT heating up way too fast and pulling power.

I think Malakas's situation is unique as he says. Lots of mods and track use but maybe more than anything were issues with bad techs and the dealer, etc.. I don't think anybody here is abusing their cars, but nobody really knows the limit to what they can take.
I agree 100% and I've told him from day 1 that bad installation could be the source of a few problems, but I got to admit, I just didn't think it would extend this far.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
MO ;

My issues actually started after the last host of mods , In 09 with the Kleemann exhaust , evo pulley , Kleemann tune and Carbonio the car was hot lapped @ 2 track rentals with 20 passes the first time and around 10 the
2nd with no issues at all .

After the Cat delete , 3 inch pipe to resonators , Evo Rotors, OE tune and a few more mods to the air box the car made alot more power but thats when the problem started .
Tony, I know you had a lot of drag passes in your car before the breakdown.... but I was actually talking more along the lines of 20 to 30 passes in each visit for 50 to 60 track visits (if not more) over a couple of years period

i personally think that this car lowered puts strain on the drive train as well as the weight and increased HP the trans cant take it .
I honestly don't think lowering the car would cause that many problems. Almost all of the 63s (and 55s) I know are lowered and they are all track warriors. In your case, I still think something may not have went right during installation unless somehow you did get yet another defective part. By the way, if the only problem now is sloppy shifts in S mode, then I am pretty confident the dealership can adapt the tranny for you. In fact, I've seen them adapt cars entirely via the star system and a dyno versus having to drive it.

either way i have a few months left and sure at chit i am gonna drive the car until it goes back or brakes again .
I had a feeling you wouldn't quit but seriously, if the same thing happens again, you need to request a different dealership. Sometimes the techs will make mistakes and then try to hide them by pointing the figer somewhere else.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Don't mean to hijack, but what's the deal with the ticking/noisy 63 valvetrains?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 AM

2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by 118E63
Tony,you shoulda bought my car&ud prolly have gone 11.70s w ur parts on it already
timing is everything my friend .